Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #31
JDC 92
dirty water diver

Re: Shotgun Buying Help: Maverick Vs. Mossberg

remington 870 12ga. express magnum period. never had any problems with jacking out the shell until some dick head game warden checked me for my plug and *****ed up the spring. took out the plug that night, fixed the spring and now she's fine. kinda heavy but at least you know its soild and it's not that heavy, i can still move it fast enough to hit tripples while shootin clays. full choke and nitrosteel 3.25in with a 26in barrel will drop mallards at 45yards. gotta rifled slug barrel for it too...and she's deadly in range with exit wounds bigger than a cantelope(and thats with cheap remington slugs, not hp or ballistic tips)

ps. my rem. 870 20ga. express youth model put a good bit of lead in that yote in my avatar...so did my buddies remington .22 though(gave that bitch hell when he popped out at 20-25yards)
Old 03-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #32
Calif_Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt+ View Post
2 3/4 " or 3 1/2" shells ?
Usually shooting 2 3/4 at doves,im not sur ehwat my problem with the gun is .I have let my son shooot it and he dont have the same problem.
Calif_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #33
FishHunter
I'd Rather be in Baja

Thanks for the great advice guys. Scopin' out a couple "870" reviews and a couple Benelli's.

Keep Your Fingernails Clean!
Jonny Freese
AimriteSpearfishing.com
Morifish@aol.com
Neptonics.com
FreediveShop.com

FishHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #34
Rolo
Freediving Spearo

I love my Rem 870, Walmart has them pretty cheap. A few months ago out hunting hogs, I stepped where I thought there was more footing. Water deep up till my eyebrows, including entire gun. Afterwards, gun shot without any issues. The 870 will also shoot buckshot or slugs. IMO, one of the more durable guns on the markets.

I do like the Mossbergs too, the 835 camo model is real nice.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #35
ocean_314

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC 92 View Post
remington 870 12ga. express magnum period. never had any problems with jacking out the shell until some dick head game warden checked me for my plug and *****ed up the spring. took out the plug that night, fixed the spring and now she's fine. kinda heavy but at least you know its soild and it's not that heavy, i can still move it fast enough to hit tripples while shootin clays. full choke and nitrosteel 3.25in with a 26in barrel will drop mallards at 45yards. gotta rifled slug barrel for it too...and she's deadly in range with exit wounds bigger than a cantelope(and thats with cheap remington slugs, not hp or ballistic tips)

ps. my rem. 870 20ga. express youth model put a good bit of lead in that yote in my avatar...so did my buddies remington .22 though(gave that bitch hell when he popped out at 20-25yards)
i stopped hunting ducks and geese when they went to steel, and i didnt have time to hunt much anymore. Reading your post is amazing to me, steel shot is so poor a material that hitting a duck at 45 yrds is considered a far shot.

With our reloads using 6 shot and 2 3/4 inch shells and lead we could easily kill ducks at 60 yrds. I did a lot of hunting off of a scull boat and long shots where neccessary. Well for me my sculling skills ....

My longest shot on a honker with my reloads for geese using lead #2 was a stalk scare the geese what the hell shot at at least 90 yrds as the geese made a high circle over me. I shot heard a WACK and watched the honker fold up and fall and fall and fall..it was a long shot..and hit the ground.

I plucked that bird down so that it had no feathers and couldnt find where i hit it. No holes anywhere. i figured i hit it in the head with one pellet and knocked it out and the fall killed it when it hit the ground.

I never missed dove season though, used to hunt in what is the middle of San Jose now.
ocean_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #36
Spearooo

Do yourself a favor and read up on:

NEF Pardner Protector. I have one and love it, metal trigger guard, extra heavy duty extractor, Mandrel forged barrel, Its a hefty piece, like the 870 of years ago, more in common with the police model.

its also tapped for a scope base.

no threads on barrel

HAve taken 2 decent hogs with pardner and single 0 buck
Old 03-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #37
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Mossberg 500 is a better option than the cheaper Mav. The safety placement alone makes it a super fast shooting shotgun. Mossberg is maybe cheap but is reliable, tough as nails and faster than similar pump action s.g. The cartridge magazine is free of latches or stuff that could get your fingers trapped on, or odd placed safeties that make you loose vital seconds. Go for the 500
Old 03-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #38
railgun
Registered abuser

Send a message via Skype™ to railgun

benelli ! i have a m1014 for home and its hands down the best combat SG, fastest fireing semi auto in the world. the nova is built on the same basic gun so you could use that for both or get a set of barrel and colaspable stock and switch them out when youre not hunting with to have the correct firearm for both purposes. a holografic site for home is perfect as well and a ''Sure Fire'' light mounted with a switch and youre ready for anything !

my set up is:

Benelli m1014 with extended mag, holograhpic site and 40watt ''Sure Fire'' light.

Beretta over under for sporting clays

Heckler and Koch G36 with optical sights and drum magazine for when ''the Sheiße hits the fan'' !
Old 03-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #39
Capytan
So far from salt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speargun View Post
Remington 870 FTW
This
Capytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #40
Ron S

Well you've now got a list of good, reliable guns. If I were you, I'd go to your local gun shop and shoulder each one. Other shooter's opinions and paper statistics only get you this far. Now it's up to what feels best in your hands and on your shoulder. I'd bet that if you've got 3-5 guns lined up and you shoulder each one, one of them is gonna make you go "ahh". Buy that one.
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #41
westpalmspearo
TEAM MAKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
I love my Rem 870, Walmart has them pretty cheap. A few months ago out hunting hogs, I stepped where I thought there was more footing. Water deep up till my eyebrows, including entire gun. Afterwards, gun shot without any issues. The 870 will also shoot buckshot or slugs. IMO, one of the more durable guns on the markets.

I do like the Mossbergs too, the 835 camo model is real nice.
you know where that crossover is now!!!!

FLORIDA FREEDIVERS
PALM BEACH FREEDIVERS
[url=www.makospearguns.com]MAKO SPEARGUNS
westpalmspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #42
Rolo
Freediving Spearo

Talking Re: Shotgun Buying Help: Maverick Vs. Mossberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpalmspearo View Post
you know where that crossover is now!!!!
Never will forget...
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #43
JDC 92
dirty water diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_314 View Post
i stopped hunting ducks and geese when they went to steel, and i didnt have time to hunt much anymore. Reading your post is amazing to me, steel shot is so poor a material that hitting a duck at 45 yrds is considered a far shot.

With our reloads using 6 shot and 2 3/4 inch shells and lead we could easily kill ducks at 60 yrds. I did a lot of hunting off of a scull boat and long shots where neccessary. Well for me my sculling skills ....

My longest shot on a honker with my reloads for geese using lead #2 was a stalk scare the geese what the hell shot at at least 90 yrds as the geese made a high circle over me. I shot heard a WACK and watched the honker fold up and fall and fall and fall..it was a long shot..and hit the ground.

I plucked that bird down so that it had no feathers and couldnt find where i hit it. No holes anywhere. i figured i hit it in the head with one pellet and knocked it out and the fall killed it when it hit the ground.

I never missed dove season though, used to hunt in what is the middle of San Jose now.
i dont think i was even alive when people shot lead at ducks so im used to steel's weak ass trying to kill birds. ol buddy of mine said they used to shoot 40-50 yards all the time...now most shots are inside 25-30. i was shootin out of the box 3" #3 or 4 when i smoked the mallard. my friend folded his bluebill with 2 3/4" #4 out of his sexy ass franchie...thing was expensive though. he told me to shoot it but i was waiting for it to get out of his set then it flew and he shot his deeks when he shot the bird

in the afternoons id paddle the yak out with the gun and try to shoot ducks...mostly ruddy ducks and they're some tough little guys but once i got the hang of it they didn't get away. if i got within 40-50 yards before they flew, they were dead
Old 03-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #44
Calif_Diver

Another idea if your trying to buy a gun on the cheap is to check out any local pawn shops in your area or watch for any local gun shows,sometimes you can pick up a good deal at either place,good luck on your purchase.
Calif_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #45
Spearo Kev

If your looking benelli dont go with a nova, the foregrip is very uncomfortable and as someone else said they kick extremely hard, benelli's are much more expensive than a 870 but you cant go wrong with an SBE II. Thats what i shoot all my ducks and geese with!