Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Kaz

Re: Riffe Euro 90 Help!

You are right Deutschland. I do like the gun alot and i can really see myself with it and in my opinion it is very good for my purposes and needs. But you understand the feeling of buying something for much more than you should just bcs u need it and u like it and there isnt any other way :/ Its like getting robbed with you knowing.. I dont like to pay more for something that shouldnt
cost as much :/ Thats why im asking how much should it be worth? So i know how much im being stolen IF i decide to get it..
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #17
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
If i was to get the Riffe Euro 90 what price do you suggest i should get it at? And what comments do u have to say about it?

I have 8 Riffe Euros, from 90cm to 130cm so I know these guns really well. I don't recommend you get the Riffe Euro 90 as it is way under powered for its size. The band stretch on the Riffe Euro 90 is extremely limited and you would be better off with a pipe gun that has a reverse trigger with a longer band stretch. IMHO the Riffe 90 is pretty useless and a waste, you can get something for 150 euros that performs much better. If you insist on getting a Riffe Euro then get the 110x or 120x as it doesn't cost that much more than the Euro 90 but is dramatically more capable. Can't help you anymore I am afraid.

By the way, if you are after looks and want a wood gun and want to spend a lot of money ... why not go with the Abellan Denton 110 or Robalo 98. I am quite sure they would look better than the Riffe and perform about 2 or 3 weight classes higher and you certainly will get wow looks from everyone else around you.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #18
Kaz

Thank you very much Kwtony!
Im actually very glad to see that you understand my situation. This is very stressful for me believe me. It is true that my options are very very few and i, myself realised that here in Cyprus they are putting us insane prices for every brand you buy (maybe not that much for greek productions like bleu or pathos). Im very happy that my mom would
do this for me and i know its not that easy for herto give this amount of money now thats why i get a feeling of sadness as well along the excitement.. If you and the other guys think that at least its a good gun and will serve me well then i think i have no other
option.. i realy dont wana spend my holidays sun bathing on the beach :/
Old 07-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #19
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Yeah, you are really in a tough situation, I would look into ordering one online as suggested by spearq8 or a local builder.

You could probably pick that gun and reel up on here for around 225eu-300eu/$300-$400 with extra shaft or 2.

My first speargun was a Picasso Basik 100cm, I loved it. It killed a lot of fish and some big fish too!

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #20
Kaz

spearq8 i just want to let you know that the price difference of sizes is not as little as you may think..
this concerns the subject we are discussing with kwtony.

Anyways, so what other guns do you suggest i should look at? and again, you guys say to look at other options (cheaper, better, other brands, sizes, etc.) but you have to understand that i have 3 shops available (2 that i trust) and each of them have very few models compared to the stores in your countries :/
Old 07-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #21
spearq8

Quote:
If i was to get the Riffe Euro 90 what price do you suggest i should get it at? And what comments do u have to say about it?

If you insist on looks and want wood, take a look at the Abellans ... Robalo 98 or Denton 110 or 120. Denton 120 probably is the same size as a Riffe 90 and has 3 x the performance.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #22
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
Wow guys, youre all basing all this information off the weak ass usd thats literally on the brink of collapse...if the kid wants to get the gun, let him.

People have spent waay more then that at local US dive shops on their riffe euro set ups. Remember hes in cyprus. He could probably get two nice wooden guns, or even two carbon pathos here in the states for that. But like hes said, there are only a few shops around and so far this is the best for HIM (not you guys sitting in the states scouring the interweb at 3 am). He needs a gun NOW and thats that. All that gun will need for the next 10 years are fresh bands, an occasional shaft and a rubbed down with tung oil each year, youll probably be able to pass it on to your kids when the time comes....go in crisp eruos and see if theyll make you a deal on a second riffe shaft. Always have a backup handy...

my suggestions..if you are THIS happy about a wooden gun you saw, that your moms went out of her way to get it for you, id personally say DO IT....and good luck
Since when is Germany a part of "the states"? Oh and I use the euro daily, I know all about it and its conversion to the USD.

He asked, I gave my opinion, thats how that works.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #23
Kaz

Thank you all very much guys btw. You are being very helpful to me
and its nice to take advices from people that know better and have more experiences. Again thank you!

There is an issue with ordering online though... i dont get to hold it in my hands before buying it.. which is an issue.. i hope u understand me i dont want to buy something i havent grabbed in my own hands. :/

If i do find a gun that i already have seen first hand then i guess thats okay, but then again im losing the source of warranty or service and etc. I just wanted this to be perfect as i am not planning to buy another gun in the next 3-4 years and even more actually.. this is the first one im buying as the one im using was my uncles.. just doesnt do the job anymore.. accuracy and range are terrible. helped me develop some skills tho (:
Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #24
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Although I have never shot one, from what I have seen, the Sporasub SK40 is a very accurate and nimble speargun. I think it is specifically designed for spearfishing in tidal surges and surf zones for smaller fish. It comes with a 6,3mm spear which will end up bent like a pretzel if you use in on any large fish and do not kill it on impact. The SK40 will not work well with a 7mm spear.

The reason I bring up shooting a 7mm spear, is that you had mentioned shooting larger fish, if you came across them, and small spears will get bent too easily compared to a 7mm. Larger spears, like 7.25mm or 7.5mm, while good for the larger fish, will generate too much recoil to shoot the small fishes you will encounter 95% of the time. So, the 7mm shaft is a good compromise.

I have a older 115 Bleutec Lycan and it is a decent, well-balanced speargun. Shoots a 7mm shaft well and has a reverse trigger mechanism. I really cannot fault it, other than price and cosmetic quality.

I also have a older Pathos 120cm Laser Open Carbon with the D'Angelo II handle. With the extra band stretch from the reverse trigger and muzzle, I measured 128cm with an OMER 7mm shaft. With a 7mm Sigalsub shaft I can get another 1,5cm, for a whopping 129,5 cm from a speargun with a 120cm barrel! This is the way to go.

It would be best for you to order the Pathos 90cm Open Carbon and have it shipped to your hotel or vacation address.

Here are links to four different online retailers and they all have free shipping. See which one gives you the best price with a reel full of line. http://www.skroutz.gr/s/3565968/Path...Carbon-90.html

Good luck and dive safe.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #25
Kaz

and i dont insist on looks sorry if thats what you understood. i just want to buy something that i feel suits me and should be mine..
Old 07-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #26
SpearS0CAL
Beau

Everyone's got their favorites... The riffe euros are great guns and get the job done. There's no doubt that you can kill fish with it! I , personally, am not a fan of riffe's competitor series and would suggest sticking with the Euro. Good luck!
SpearS0CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #27
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Thank you all very much guys btw. You are being very helpful to me
and its nice to take advices from people that know better and have more experiences. Again thank you!

There is an issue with ordering online though... i dont get to hold it in my hands before buying it.. which is an issue.. i hope u understand me i dont want to buy something i havent grabbed in my own hands. :/

If i do find a gun that i already have seen first hand then i guess thats okay, but then again im losing the source of warranty or service and etc. I just wanted this to be perfect as i am not planning to buy another gun in the next 3-4 years and even more actually.. this is the first one im buying as the one im using was my uncles.. just doesnt do the job anymore.. accuracy and range are terrible. helped me develop some skills tho (:

Get the Riffe, enjoy it, dive safe and post up some pics!

I do think you might want to go a little longer than a 90cm but I don't want Tony to yell at me for giving an opinion.

Did Cyprus Spearo hook you up with a dealer? I figured he would have been the most helpful to you.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #28
Kaz

Thank you SpearoTastic!
I was indeed really into the Pathos Laser Open Carbon and was really sad to hear that the only shop that had them in the whole of Cyprus got robbed and nothing is left... But I will look for online opportunities (:
Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #29
Kaz

Cyprus_Spearo did contact me
on my first thread (this is my second) and gave me a number to call. I didnt think it would be necessary but today i was thinking of calling that number. Maybe i should...
Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #30
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Quote:
Thank you SpearoTastic!
I was indeed really into the Pathos Laser Open Carbon and was really sad to hear that the only shop that had them in the whole of Cyprus got robbed and nothing is left... But I will look for online opportunities (:
No worries, Kaz. I'm happy to help. And do not worry, you will not be disappointed. If theft is a possibility, make sure you get insurance on the shipment.

Quote:
Cyprus_Spearo did contact me
on my first thread (this is my second) and gave me a number to call. I didnt think it would be necessary but today i was thinking of calling that number. Maybe i should...
Call that number that Petros gave you!!

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote