Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
byronq
Its better down there!

2016 Long Beach Neptune's Blue Water Meet: Saturday, 6/11

Calling all club President's and Members!!!

The Long Beach Neptunes are proud to present our 53rd Annual Bluewater Meet Saturday, June 11th, 2016, at Two Harbors, Catalina!!

This is considered to be the oldest, if not one of the most prestigious tournaments in the country, being older than the Superbowl!

This tournament is strictly invitational- members of recognized clubs, or you need to be sponsored by a Long Beach Neptune.

This is a ONE FISH TOURNAMENT!!! Go BIG or go home! Only game fish allowed!!! All fish must be caught within 4 miles of Catalina Island. Fish must be shot and secured without help. Weigh in is at 3pm SHARP!

Entry fee is $40.00, which includes your T-Shirt, awards, beer (usually Stella/Heineken), Salad & Sides (you bring your own meat/main dish), and a great time with other divers from up and down the coast!

Last year we had over 90 quality divers, from San Diego to Norcal, even a few from Florida to Hawaii participating!

So get your gear and scouting info in check, and don't miss out on one of the funnest, most competitive tournaments in the country!

Don't forget to get your application and money in by Midnight, June 8th, to payment@longbeachneptunes.com (paypal, cash, and checks accepted). Or come to the next meeting Wednesday, June 1st, 7pm, Me n Ed's Pizza, Lakewood.

See you out there, good luck, and dive safe, everyone!!!

PS- Thanks again to Katin USA for the epic shirts this year! Hoodies also available, sorry about this King Kook modeling them off!!!

For more information visit: www.longbeachneptunes.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TS.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	226335   Click image for larger version

Name:	tees.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	226336   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 BWM.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	226337  

Team IDGAF

www.kaispage.com
byronq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:24 AM   #2
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!
Re: 2016 Long Beach Neptune's Blue Water Meet: Saturday, 6/11

Which clubs are recognized? And you are NOT a member can we still partaque.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
el tiegro

Where at two harbors is the weigh-in, front or back, and how does it work? Dropping off fish and then setting up on a mooring? How late after 3 will the weigh-in likely be finished? My ride might fall through, if I take mine, I need to get back before dark. Thanks, and looking forward to getting out there.
el tiegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #4
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el tiegro View Post
Where at two harbors is the weigh-in, front or back, and how does it work? Dropping off fish and then setting up on a mooring? How late after 3 will the weigh-in likely be finished? My ride might fall through, if I take mine, I need to get back before dark. Thanks, and looking forward to getting out there.
the weigh in is at the Isthmus on the frontside right in front of the store on the stage.
you can drop your fish off and get a can or anchor for free on the East side of the harbor in front of the campground. If you do this you'll have to get a shore boat or hit up one of the guys (there will be plenty) and get a ride from them or do the short swim.
You'll have plenty of time to get back by dark if you're going straight accross after the weigh in.
Good luck.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
byronq
Its better down there!

El Tiegro, I'll call you back this afternoon.

Yes, this is strictly invitational, for recognized clubs, or you must be sponsored by a Neptune. We've had some classy, epic divers from across the country much less across the globe participate, including Sasha Alexander and Deron Verbeck from Hawaii, several divers from Florida, and the legendary Greg Pickering of Australia participate. Quite an honor to compete with this group!

Recognized clubs receive invitations to the meet, and include LA Fathomiers, San Diego Freedivers, Santa Barbara Freedivers, OC Spearos, Monterey Bay Tritons, and others. Last year there were over 90 divers representing 7 clubs participating in the tournament!

As long as someone has shown good character, and is respected in the dive community, it won't be a problem finding a sponsor/invite.

And of course, thanks to our generous sponsors for all the raffle donations available to competitors!!!

Good luck to all the divers, and looking forward to sharing a beer and stories at the weigh in!

Dive safe!

Team IDGAF

www.kaispage.com

Last edited by byronq; 06-06-2016 at 07:04 PM.
byronq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
davej

So i'm here at cat, not for the tournament but a family trip. Just as I thought there is a diver or five on every spot. I am not sure if any of these were in guys from the tournament but thought I share here.

First saw a two boats with spearos hunting at the west end quarry, pretty sure that's a mlpa. This does not put spearos in good light.

Much more important though is the number of divers I saw diving with no flags on the boat, diving out in open water. The worst was when we stopped in at rippers cove. There was boat anchored no flag. I spotted a diver near shore. No float or even line. We were 30 yards out in 35 of water. When we got under way we almost hit another diver who was out in open water no float. Only reason we didn't was us being aware there might more divers.

You guys be careful out there. People don't see you. Have flag, if open water no reason to not have a float too.

Be safe and responsible
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
Chainsaw

I agree, all boats should have a dive flag if divers are in the water.
Also 70% of the time my guy's have on a float. The only time we do not have a float is when we are in thick kelp.
Saturday there were about 70 divers competing in the meet, however I am sure not every diver or dive boat you saw were actual competitors as there are lot's of divers at Catalina.
On the Sea Hunt we fly the dive flag all day, it is only taken down to run from spot to spot so as not to destroy the dive flag.
The real story of the Long Beach Neptunes Meet is that 70 divers came together and had an awesome competition in rough conditions and still numerous fish were weighed in at the beach. No one was injured all participants were safe, well fed and lot's of gear was raffled off. Everyone had a great time and everyone got along with no drama.
One diver did land on top of a 12' great white in green water on the Farnsworth. He dropped right on top of it. He scared the shark just as much as himself and it charged him. After pointing his gun in it's face it disappeared in the haze only to come back 3 times circling him as he headed for his boat. He then proceeded to clean his wet suit and get out of dodge.
GOOD TIMES!
Tentative manager Long Beach Neptunes
Waterman's Alliance founding member
Daryl Wong
Mori
Ennis customs
2 time Long Beach Neptune's Blue Water Meet winner 2007 and 2016
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote