Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #1
Ramon
Ramon

An underwater fisherman frees a badly injured dolphin trapped in the Molinar

December 27, 2016

Bahia de Palma is Molinar Palma de Mallorca Balearic Islands

An underwater fisherman frees a badly injured dolphin trapped in the Molinar

"The dolphin was very close to surrendering, he almost did not open his eyes; If we do not cut the net, he dies, "says Antonio Garriga, an underwater fisherman. The Molinar waters became, yesterday morning, the scene of an underwater adventure that, fortunately, concluded in the best way possible.

A female dolphin, more than three meters in length, was trapped and hooked in two fishing nets that prevented her from even coming up to the surface naturally to breathe. Next to him, was an auxiliary boat occupied by two people who tried to get him out of the mess. Another young man, enjoying the paddle surf, also went to the poor dolphin's distress call.

The animal was badly wounded; Its tail seemed to be raw and suffered several wounds also in the fin. "I arrived with the boat and my underwater equipment; As soon as they saw me they told me what the situation was for the dolphin; Had to try, "explains Antonio. Thanks to the performance of this group of disinterested volunteers; Began a complex maneuver to release the trapped animal.

"In the queue I was hooked with a web of networks that seemed to take a long time; The poor animal had bad luck since he also got hooked with a trammel placed in the area. Trapped on one side and on the other, the animal tried to lift the weight but did not achieve it, weighed heavily and could hardly breathe, "explains Antonio.

While the pertinent notice was given to the team of biologists of the Palma Aquarium; The liberators tried to keep alive the dolphin, who was getting more and more nervous. Once they managed to have it on the surface; Used a child float to maintain it. Antonio swam with him most of the time during the rescue but at one point, the dolphin became frightened and struck a couple of pecks trying to break free; One of them even, damaged the fisherman underwater.

"He was very nervous and when he was overwhelmed he moved very fast. I always carry a knife for safety, in case I stay hooked or something happens; And I used it to cut the net. Then we waited for the arrival of the biologists, they wanted to see him before we released him completely, we had to assess his health and attend his wounds, "he explains.

Once the biologists arrived and the general state of the dolphin was reviewed, the decision was made to leave it totally free since it was in a position to swim. After proceeding to the cutting of the net that imprisoned him, the dolphin was able to leave in freedom to the sea. "It's been an incredible experience; I'm glad I was there at the right time. Sometimes they criminalize underwater fishermen but it is not our nets that catch animals, "says Antonio Garriga.
Attached Images

Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Shotmaster

Re: An underwater fisherman frees a badly injured dolphin trapped in the Molinar

Good job!
Shotmaster is offline   Reply With Quote