Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:43 AM   #1
sawellem

Need tips regarding a DFG ticket

Hey everyone,

A few months back I brought in a Calico that was just shy of 14 inches. The DFG on the beach measured my fish out to be 13 11/12" and wrote me a ticket. He gave me an infraction and told me that the ticket wouldn't be as expensive as it could be. Sure enough, the ticket ends up being 485.00... Haven't shot a short fish since but I can't afford a 485 dollar ticket. I'm sure theres something I can do to have a price reduction on the ticket. Have any of you experienced this before? Another problem is that I wont be able to attend the court date as I am in school right now.

Any help appreciated,

Robin
sawellem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Nathan.swank

Re: Need tips regarding a DFG ticket

Hey I know this was last year but for everyone else if your a minor you could go with your parents to court and try to fight it saying it was very close to being legal and i heard that if you take it all the way to court and your a minor they will most of the time wipe it. But its a bummer lesson to learn if it does not work just pay it and be happy he did not take all your gear and fishing licence.
Nathan.swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Smash
Monterey Bay Triton

Take the day off from school and go to court with a parent. Ask the judge if you can do community service instead of a fine. Also you may be able to get your court day changed if you contact the court. Perhaps ask for a date that falls during your winter break. I wouldn’t try to fight it because I doubt that pointing out that it's just a little short will make much of difference. It’s either short or not short. We all make mistakes. When you do you should man up and take responsibility. The thing to remember is that all DFG citations are considered misdemeanors so they are something to take seriously. I think asking for mercy will be your best bet. I hope everything turns out well, good luck.

VP, Monterey Bay Tritons
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
armd1

What the hell is 11/12ths, is that YOUR typo or is it written on the citation ?
If it's on the ticket , I would demand to see the
ruler -device used to measure the fish !!
Unless it's some one off specialty device that was made specific for them , its possible it's not accurate or CALIBRATED !
armd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
acteg

Get an attorney if it is a criminal citation. In Florida this would be a criminal misdemeanor. You want diversion, a plea to something less that is not criminal in nature, or a dismissal.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
acteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
sawellem

Thanks everyone for the responses, the ticket itself has been paid in full. One thing that confused me is the officer telling me at least twice that he was giving me an INFRACTION and not a misdemeanor. He told me that the standard offense was a misdemeanor but because my fish was so close to being legal, he'd give me an infraction. What I mean by 11/12ths is that it was really just one little line on a ruler close to being 14 inches. It was 1/12th of an inch from being legal in other words. I learned a lesson from the ticket and won't be pulling short fish in ever again. Thanks for the concern guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawellem View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses, the ticket itself has been paid in full. One thing that confused me is the officer telling me at least twice that he was giving me an INFRACTION and not a misdemeanor. He told me that the standard offense was a misdemeanor but because my fish was so close to being legal, he'd give me an infraction. What I mean by 11/12ths is that it was really just one little line on a ruler close to being 14 inches. It was 1/12th of an inch from being legal in other words. I learned a lesson from the ticket and won't be pulling short fish in ever again. Thanks for the concern guys

No such thing on a tape measure as 1/12.
1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
sawellem

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
No such thing on a tape measure as 1/12.

1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32

Right. It was one line from being legal, so 1/16th my apologies.