Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #16
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Re: Slip Tip accuracy testing video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolinedaniel View Post
Damn dude your house is beautiful where do you live?
He lives in...q8.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #17
Timinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
He's not the only guy that has one . I had a couple and it's not a hypothetical problem , I had a scale jam the spectra twice and lost fish . The tip is also matched to the shaft so if you screw up the tip or the shaft the whole thing is trash .

There is nothing worse than shooting a nice wahoo with a good shot and then watching the shaft and tip pull straight back out of the fish ,and then watch the fish spiral down into the blue
Yea, that makes good sense. I can't help but think off all the missed shots though. Seems like a lot more of them than slip tip malfunctions. But I understand your reasoning.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #18
VangysWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
Super glue a small magnet to the end of the spectra behind the slide ring. Just drop it on the top of the shaft. I invented this and it works like a champ. Great on polespears too. No more diddling with the bands and all of the other madness. Load your gun and simply drop the magnet on the shaft and you are ready to hunt. Take two seconds and you are ready to hunt.
Can you share pictures of this? Does it not impede trajectory of the shaft?
Old 05-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #19
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
Yea, that makes good sense. I can't help but think off all the missed shots though. Seems like a lot more of them than slip tip malfunctions. But I understand your reasoning.
With a good tip ( put on corectly ) the acuracy differance is negligible . At hunting ranges the if the slip tip is making you miss you aren't doing it right .Here is a pic of a necked down shaft , 5/16 shaft gets a 9/32" tip , 11/32" and 3/8" shafts get a 5/16" tip , it's a very streamlined set up and it solves the slide ring jam problem at the same time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	217614  

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #20
seal77

I have always said that these slip-tips on the market,even the best ones spoil the accuracy and you cant rely on precise shots,it becomes gambling.I noticed that even the angle of the small barbs has effect,especially if the barb is only one.But the slide ring is worse.
Im working on a new concept,wich many people would say that is not tought enough,but its working good for me and gives relieble shots)
seal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:25 AM   #21
spearq8

@Spearo Tastic I think you should realize that I have been trying out different configurations with slip tips, and of course I have tried every spectra line setting there is. As mentioned in the beginning of my post the normal way of setting up slip tips (as shown in the video posted) or by simply pulling the spectra inside bands already pulled ... didn't test well at all. In some cases the shots were missing completely the giant big target! My guess is that if not enough tension is put on the slip tip, once you shoot, it will get stuck in a certain orientation and that could be crooked. The way I do it puts a lot of tension on the slip tip and keeps it set, then when you fire the acceleration of the shaft takes over and the slip tip stays put. This made a dramatic difference in accuracy, especially in the "looser" slip tips. If your shaft overhang is less and you have a very long line sticking out, you can shape the line in an S shape and then put it under the band before pulling the second one over. On some guns like RA or C4 you can't do that as the bands are separated, but have a few other solutions for that too. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed. In the meantime I am lucky enough to have 2 of the Mori custom shafts and I setup the second one with a longer spectra line and tested at 5 meters and 6 meters. Here is the video

https://youtu.be/JDcaW1q66ms

@Phil I don't know why you had the scale problem with your tip, but I have had these 2 shafts for almost about 8 years and never ever did I have that problem. They work like an absolute dream and I always loved them most due to the fact that they deploy so well. The tube is tucked in the shaft and has a much slimmer profile than a slide ring so if anything, it would have much less chance of getting stuff stuck in it than a slide ring. The only problem I have with them is that the shaft metal is a little soft and if I overpower the shaft I lose accuracy, and also they are only 7.2mm thick ... for long distance shooting I like a shaft with at least 8mm thickness. I do have slip tips similar to the one you have in the picture like this one from Hunt, but in testing the slide ring destroyed accuracy and having the big bulk of the slide ring so far up the shaft has its downside as it creates a very large bulky shape that hurts good penetration on fish.

As for the spectra line getting stuck ... well that depends on how thick your spectra line is and how big your slide ring hole is. On 3mm you can splice 750lb spectra all the way through and knot it at the end and the spectra will never get close to jamming. On 2.5mm tube or thicker spectra the best way is to use a Brummel lock splice where it just barely exits the end of the slide ring (this gives some tension to hold the slip tip but still easily toggles) and then do another normal splice right after the end of the line behind the slide ring and then knot it. This gives you double knot strength where it is needed and still keeps the slide ring free. As for the slip tips not fitting on different Mori tips. Even the Mori tips I have that came with screw in tips fit perfectly on my custom shafts ... no problems there at all.

@Jolinedaniel Thanks and yes q8 is Kuwait

@Red Tide Yes the magnet idea is a great idea and have tried it. You place a small magnet inside the spectra before second knot after slide ring. I have ordered a few different size magnets from Amazon to give this more of a go. The magnets do have a problem of rusting and they tend to work themselves out if they are too small. It is a solution that needs a little more work but another way am working on is to simply tie a tough O ring at the end of your spectra line and then have a tiny "knob" on the shaft where you pull the O ring and hold it on the shaft. This would be great for RA and C4 guns where you can't pull line in the bands.

@Seal Yes you are right the slide ring is the biggest problem and it destroys accuracy and robs shaft velocity and hurts penetration on fish. Initially I was prepared to not only weld a tube but to even route a groove for the spectra line. I realize now that is not necessary and what needs to be changed on the shaft is to simply weld a small tube and have it a little recessed and just get ride of the slide ring. Having a slip tip head shaped on the shaft is of course nice, but screw in heads will work just as good so long you get rid of the slide ring. Can you share what idea you have used to get your slip tips to shoot well?

Anyway if you have a slip tip setup that works well for your hunting then great and no need to change anything. But if you have had good trigger pulls and were shocked to see your slip tipped shaft miss and blamed it on your poor shooting skills ... well don't be harsh on yourself. I think it is also harsh to call Riffe Ice Pick slip tips or other slip tips as garbage as they are simply not designed for accuracy. A fish shot with an Ice Pick will hold the damned fish just as good or better than any slip tip out there, just need to get to point blank range before you shoot.

By the way here is a picture of all the different slip tips I tried and a few more are not even in the picture ... trust me was pretty comprehensive.

spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #22
Red Tide

Quote:
@Red Tide Yes the magnet idea is a great idea and have tried it. You place a small magnet inside the spectra before second knot after slide ring. I have ordered a few different size magnets from Amazon to give this more of a go. The magnets do have a problem of rusting and they tend to work themselves out if they are too small. It is a solution that needs a little more work but another way am working on is to simply tie a tough O ring at the end of your spectra line and then have a tiny "knob" on the shaft where you pull the O ring and hold it on the shaft. This would be great for RA and C4 guns where you can't pull line in the bands.
Actually I put it past the knot behind the slide rind at the tail end of the spectra. I do splice mine in to the line and super glue it in place. I then coat the area with a little aqua seal. The magnets do rust after a few weeks but that is no problem for me because I can restring a sliptip faster than most. My concern is to be able to get rigged up quickly and the magnet gimmick allows me to do that and with no noticeable affects on accuracy. As I mentioned earlier it also works great on pole spears.
The accuracy issues that everybody is concerned with are true but the fish I am hunting with slip tips are usually large and pinpoint accuracy is not a big deal. I am a methodical hunter and have conditioned myself to not take shots that are more than 15 to 16 feet away. My goal is good penetration and let the slip-up do it's thing.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #23
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

^^^^what GR said about discipline and getting in range for the best placed shot on fish.

Sure you can always build a better mousetrap.....but in the end it's better to be a lion than house cat with a bag of technology to land the fish.

Test your setup and learn the deviation and account for it.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:47 AM   #24
Red Tide

The turned down collars on shafts is nice for keeping the slide ring in place. I have done this on my shafts in the past. I do believe it may cause some penetration issues in some shots but it is just a feeling. I no longer use the turned down collars because over the years those shafts have been damaged in one way or another and I do not miss them enough to bother doing it again.
One last comment is that there does seem to be a more noticeable affect on smaller diameter shafts. My 72 inch 3/8 shafts powered by 6 bands goes right where I point it. I have never missed a shot with that gun. My 72 inch 5/16 shaft with 4 bands is very good too and I may have missed a few shots over the years but that is a rarity. My 72 inch 9/32 shaft with 3 bands was very inaccurate and I would not recommend that combination for a sliptip gun set up. All of these guns are enclosed track mid handle guns. The lighter shafts seem to be affected more with the drag at the tip than the heavier shafts. No science just experience.

Last edited by Red Tide; 05-16-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Red Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #25
Trace

GR can you post a picture of your set up. How big a magnet do you need.
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #26
Castor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trace View Post
gr can you post a picture of your set up. How big a magnet do you need.
x2.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #27
finnfanrm

What do you think about welding the little tube directly to the slip tip base
Old 05-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #28
spearq8

Well, last 2 days I decided to modify a few crappy shafts I have from Salvimar with very obtrusive floppers and wired shark fins that wishbones always slip on. I cut off the tip just below the flopper and then threaded the tip. I had a couple of Salvimar slip tips that were very streamlined but had cable. This slip tip is a little different as you have to heat the tip to melt the glue, then replace the cable. Instead, I cleaned out the inside and dulled and polished all the sharp edges, and managed to fit 1000lb spectra in there. I then sanded the inside of the tip to get some grip and used my golf club epoxy (has tiny glass beads) to set a chemical bond to the tip. Not sure how strong this will be but the epoxy is not holding any load, but am worried that the 90 degree angle might wear out the spectra quicker. For the shaft, I had ordered from onlinemetals.com a few tubes @.1875" x .049" x .0895" and a couple @.1875" x .035" x .1175" ... a 12" tube will probably be enough for 2 dozen shafts. I ended up using the tube with the larger diameter hole so that I could fit spliced 750lb spectra with no problems. I then routed a small groove to put my tube in and had it TIG welded. Of course spent some time polishing all sharp edges so that the spectra wouldn't get frayed. I also had some shark fins that I had laser cut some time back and got rid of the terrible wire fins that came with the Salvimar shaft and replaced them. I had 2 different types of shark fins and tried both. The shaft metal was actually quite good 17-4ph hardened SS so I think the end result was great, and it was an 8mm shaft so was very happy with that! Took it out in the pool and accuracy was just like the Mori custom slip tip shaft! The only difference was that the power was massively increased penetration wise. I always realized that adding mass to the shaft gives a lot more power, but I had expected that with the same bands the shaft would be slow. Instead it penetrated all the way through the target and I could have sworn the velocity was much higher than 7mm shaft. It is possible that my bands are overpowered for 7mm and that extra power is getting good use with the heavier shaft. On my last test shot the shaft pulled so hard it pulled out of the crimp. I had rushed the line rigging and forgot to crimp the crimp. Accuracy wise I now have absolutely no doubt that this is the way to go with slip tips.

Here are some pix of the work I did. Really nothing hi tech here ... just mill a small groove on your existing threaded shaft making careful that it is absolutely perfectly oriented with your shark fins, and put a small tube and get it TIG welded. Make sure all sharp edges are dulled and buffed and you voila! you have a super accurate slip tip. So far have only tested with pencil slip tips, but have made a few more shafts with different threads that will allow me to test all the slip tips I have already tried out previously. I think this will make all slip tips more accurate, but some that are not streamlined and might still vector the shaft off line.

I am travelling tomorrow to the Red Sea and of course will take this new home made shaft to give it a try there. Dogtooth are supposed to be running there and this will be a good test.

Last edited by spearq8; 05-20-2015 at 03:02 AM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote