Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-31-2002, 02:00 PM   #1
Larry

Why a spare shaft?

If free shafting I can see the obvious need for a backup shaft. Are there any good reasons to have a spare shaft when line shafting (other than the possibility of damage to the primary shaft)?
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 04:51 PM   #2
greyface

Perhaps for carrying a powerhead?
Old 10-31-2002, 07:14 PM   #3
FredT

That depends on where you are

If out a ways it's prudent to carry either a spare fully rigged shaft, or a spare gun or two. A lost or bent shaft ends the day if you don't have a spare.

A spare free shaft may be useful for the attitude adjustment if you have a large wounded fish tied off to structure, but in open water the need for the shaft and the time to reload to use it are effectively mutually exclusive. I find an icepick or VERY sharp BFK work better in the attitude adjustment department. A throated fish settles right down in about 20 seconds or less and improves meat quality. A properly used icepick will settle one down in a couple seconds if the brainstem is cut. That is a bit hard to do on large snapper and cobia though. There is often just too much bone in the way to get a good jab in with the pick.

FT
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:24 PM   #4
Steel Shootin'

Thumbs up Welcome to FredT

FredT, welcome to spearboard. I am going to go out on a limb here and ask if you are the maker of the FredT backplates? My inductive reasoning is astounding.

Actually, the timing of your arrival couldn't be better, because I am in the process of considering a BP/Wings set-up for use in hunting. I plan on doing doubles.

I understand that you hunt oil rigs, and have probably hunted in conditions that well exceed the typical open water ledge stuff we do around here. Is a BP and Wings a viable (or superior) way to hunt?

Thanks.
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:41 PM   #5
FredT

That's me

Thanks for the welcome.

Plates and wings work fine hunting. If hunting in deep water I personally like a larger bag than is normally recomended for tek or OW diving to help turn a large fish. I add a bit of drag (still less than a jacket though) but may save that trip to the bottom in 800' of water, or the lost shaft and fish.

Shoot me an e-mail and I'll get you data on the current crop of plates.

FT
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 10:50 AM   #6
Reef Raider
Free Shafter

To make your gun NEG ATIVE. So you can let it go with out it going to the surface with out you . I have seen a lot of divers lose guns this way I have even fond 2 guns. It was yrs ago gave them to yonger divers who put them to good use!!

Last edited by Reef Raider; 11-05-2002 at 10:44 PM.
Reef Raider is offline   Reply With Quote