Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #31
Joe21

Re: What is the Best Training/Classes

Find some spearos that hit that depth regularly and dive with them if you don't feel you can find a instructor your happy with. Get a dive planner like v planner and it will give you a better idea of what kind of time you can spend at those depths and what kind of deco obligations you'll have. When it comes down to it, its all about gas management, redundancy(h valves or a pony come to mind), staying calm, (don't over breath your reg, and don't shoot to the surface) and keeping your ppo2 levels within your acceptable range. If your diving a hot mix dropping down an extra 10ft or hanging out for a few more minutes probably isn't in your best interest.
Joe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #32
goldfinchs1
Yellabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
Much of the training for deeper diving isn't applicable to diving deep and spearfishing..I suggest diving with experienced divers who do those dives in practice not theory.Learn more about decompression and the various
methods to keep deco manageable.
Dickie,
Call me when you get a chance. Tony is spot-on, as usual.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #33
Bigski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg John View Post
My h&l friends already say Im cheating on scuba so a closed circuit loop will drive them my favorite kind crazy.
couldn't agree more, buddies are always saying free diving is better. Try saying that at 90ft with a fat gag buried under a ledge and THAN we'll talk
Bigski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #34
Bigski

Hey burg let me know if you find anyone that does tech spear. My dive buddy and I are looking to do the same thing soon
Bigski is offline   Reply With Quote