Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 01-01-2013, 02:21 AM   #16
EugeneKM

Re: Go pro hero 3 freezing!!!

I just got my Hero3 last week. Mine has froze on two occasions now, by freeze I mean the camera not only stops recording, but locks up all together. The only thing that will get it working again is to pull out the battery and put it back in. I couldn't do this today in the water when my buddy shot his first AJ!

I've made sure I have the most up to date firmware available. The card I'm using is a Maxell 16g class 10, but I don't think the card could make the whole camera to become unresponsive. I contacted GoPro, just waiting to hear back from them.

I've seen other people with the same issue on other forums, but no solution, a few people pointed to Gopro needing to come out with a new firmware update.
EugeneKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
ahoullis

breaking 666 views
ahoullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
rexgear
Jose Debasa

The solution to the GoPro freezing up is to install the latest firmware to your GoPro, and most importantly, reformat your SD card before using the GoPro. Every time you get a new SD card, alway reformat it.

This is what fixed mine after having the same issue as you! If you want to test it out to make sure the GoPro is working after reformatting the SD card, just leave the gopro recording for a while, check if it continues to freeze or if it recorded fine with no freeze.

how to reformat your SD card.
https://gopro.zendesk.com/entries/22...with-the-hero3

another forum on how to resolve the issue:
http://discussion.gopro.com/gopro/to...sd_is_inserted

Last edited by rexgear; 01-09-2013 at 01:44 PM.
rexgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
campione

I have a class 10 Sandisk, and the software updates as of last week, AND I reformatted the card before diving this morning, but mine froze today as well.

There's something else seriously wrong with gopro 3...
Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
EugeneKM

On my first hero3 black, I updated the firmware, and formatted the card ( did it again after it froze the first time). Pretty much every dive I had an issue with it.

About a month ago I exchanged it for another hero3 black edition. I decided to try using it without a firmware update to see what happens. I have not had a problem so far( knock on drift wood).
EugeneKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

GoPro came out with a new update about two weeks ago, did you guys try that? I updated mine with it and have zero problems with my GoPro Hero3 black edition.
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #22
Tailwind

If your GoPro freezes or won't charge here's a suggestion that I have not seen in any of these threads: Shut the camera off, remove the battery, then with the battery out, hold down the power button for at least ten seconds. If that doesn't work, try the same thing but hold the power button and the top buttons both down for at least ten seconds. After that, reinstall the battery and turn the camera on.
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #23
Drip-N-Wet

You may also need to do the update again. They told me that it sometimes gets corrupted. They sent me a link to download it from, not the original link on their site and that fixed my problem on the Hero 2. However, my Hero 3 flooded : ( but I have a new Hero 3 now and can't wait to get back to the Keys to use it. YEAH!

I have been a loyal Go Pro customer for years and as with any company there will be bugs when a new product comes with. Just need to learn to roll with the punches, even if it means not getting the "money" shot when on vacation. There will also be other opportunities for great video. : ) Doesn't hurt to own more than 1 camera too! ; ) I had 3 on my trip to Cocos Island.
Drip-N-Wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #24
lordyaussie
Sam G

Your Gopro 3 freezes....
Welcome to the club

I knew what I was buying into after researching it for some time, some people get good ones other people get dud ones(regardless of software updates) - So I suggest you buy it local from a popular store that has shop fronts all over the place so that you can take it back if you do get a dud.

I have a dud at the moment (freezes when turning the camera on among other times) and will take it back to the shop next week to roll the dice again.

Imho Gopro released them pre-maturely to compete with sony at X-mas ... and I'm not sure if you can fix all problems with just software updates.
lordyaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
Kreisydiver

I noticed that shooting in 1080p 30 fps was much smoother than the 48 fps. With the 48 fps it would tape but freeze for a few a milisecond and the continue on. I was using a class 10 64 gig card.

Unfortunately my gopro fell overboard in 90' while fishing two weeks ago, recon trip to retrieve it on wed. as we marked the spot and hopefully it will still be in the rubble!
Kreisydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #26
surfinspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreisydiver View Post
I noticed that shooting in 1080p 30 fps was much smoother than the 48 fps. With the 48 fps it would tape but freeze for a few a milisecond and the continue on. I was using a class 10 64 gig card.
I am new to diving but have a hero 3 that i have used surfing and skiing. It sound like this is a playback issue. Some computers struggle to play the 1080p 48fps back as it is so much data. If you close all your other programs it should be smoother
surfinspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #27
Kreisydiver

My laptop has 16 gigs of ram and an I-7 processor. Even with all apps closed, running from file off computer showed the same as from an external.

I also retrieved my Gopro this morning, it was sitting in the exact same spot where it fell. Best part was it showed exactly how it fell into the water, and the way down with large mangrove snapper yellowtail and goliaths chasing it down. I will put up a little video of it.
Kreisydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
jstiver09

Your one lucky dude!
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #29
campione

Another potential reason for the freezing: When you delete all files and format the card. It seems to have some correlation, at least in my case.
So now instead of a card format, I just delete all files from my windows explorer. So far I had no more freezes.
It is also a good idea to update software again, as mentioned by others; you never know if files were corrupted in the download/install.