Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
MACKFISH

Cool contact lenses and diving?

My eyes are bad.I am wondering if anyone on here dives with contact lenses?I am considering getting them this week and i am wondering how they work out for diving.I wonder if they throw off your shot?I know when i put on my glasses after not wearing them for a while i usually miss judge where the stairs are and have to be carefull not to trip.So if you use them i would like to know how it works out for you.I have a stigmatism.Thank you!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Diablo Loco

Re: contact lenses and diving?

I used to wear contacts while diving. I am near-sighted. My eyes got a little better, so I stopped wearing them. They did not effect me in any way, other than to see better and clearer at a distance. Did not effect me close up. Just don't let your mask flood. The contacts will get flushed out. Otherwise, they work great.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
sdncdiver

I also have astigmatism and have been using contacts to dive and surf for over 10 years. I would highly recommend them for diving. It is really nice to be able to clearly see your way to the water on those long shore-dive hikes.

It shouldn't affect your shots. I switch to glasses once I reach my car and the transition is no problem. Just make sure you keep the contacts clean and replace them as recommended by manufacturer.
sdncdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
starbright55

You'll be fine. You'll see much better. If you are worried about misjudging distance, make sure you have them in for a couple of hours prior to diving so that you can get used to them.

I've had contacts for 25 years now. I have lost two contacts in 25 years (on separate occasions) which I think is pretty good considering surfing, swimming, water polo, diving, wakeboarding, etc.
starbright55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Nelson Kwok
Formerly known as Qtip

Don't do it! This is what happens if you dive with contacts!

Just kidding. I have terrible eyes and have always dove with contacts. There's only been one incident where my contact has popped out while diving. Put them on, dive, and enjoy good vision.
Nelson Kwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
270Win

I started wearing contact lenses about 10 years ago. I much prefer them to glasses. You should not experience any form of distortion when you put them on, as they are physically against your eye rather than an inch away from your eye as with glasses. They will take some getting used to as your eye naturally wants to blink when you try to put them in (Pro Tip: Putting contacts in easily is all about pinning down your eyelashes. For instance: I'm right handed, but put contacts in by using my left pointer finger to hold the lense, left middle finger to hold down my bottom lashes, and right hand to pin down my upper lashes) If you pin down your lashes, your eyes can't blink and it makes it super easy to put them in. Only thing you should know is if you take a nice sized wave to the face or decide to swim underwater with your eyes open (without goggles or something) you could lose one. Now that, my friend, will distort your vision lol One blurry eye and one good one gives me a headache.
270Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
MACKFISH

Awesome!Thank you guys!I feel much more confident about getting them now.Last year I held off on my shot untill i could identify clearly my target.It cost me at least a couple shots on the wsb.At this point a fish has to be almost suicidal for me to id it!!!!!!!!But it happens!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
mikeme

I just ordered a prescription mask (bi focal) through house of scuba for only about $80. look in to it, see if it works for you.
mikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Chainsaw

I was nearsighted and had astigmatism so I had lasik surgery.
Best thing I have ever done, ever since my fish count has doubled! Which means now I shoot 1 fish cuz I suck.
But seriously I used to have to guess where to aim, now I point and shoot and the arrow goes exactly where I think it should.
Tentative manager Long Beach Neptunes
Waterman's Alliance founding member
Daryl Wong
Mori
Ennis customs
2 time Long Beach Neptune's Blue Water Meet winner 2007 and 2016
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
shafe

I'm 40. Had astigmatism and contacts since I was a kid and have done a lot of snorkeling and diving with them. First, soft lens are bigger, will suck to your eyes and rarely pop out, if ever. That said, if you get water in your mask they will stay cloudier longer than if you had no contacts in. Hard contacts float on the eye more and will pop out much easier under water. I would not recommend those for water sports.

I personally got LASIK at the Mahoney Institute in Bev Hills 5 years ago and it has changed my life dramatically. Went from 20/400 to 20/15 and my eyes are no less sharp after all this time. It was $6k but you can do payment plans so its only $200 a month for a few years. Best money I have ever spent in my entire life.
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
Sebastien

Acuvue Oasis are awesome you can keep them on for long time
Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafe View Post
I'm 40. Had astigmatism and contacts since I was a kid and have done a lot of snorkeling and diving with them. First, soft lens are bigger, will suck to your eyes and rarely pop out, if ever. That said, if you get water in your mask they will stay cloudier longer than if you had no contacts in. Hard contacts float on the eye more and will pop out much easier under water. I would not recommend those for water sports.

I personally got LASIK at the Mahoney Institute in Bev Hills 5 years ago and it has changed my life dramatically. Went from 20/400 to 20/15 and my eyes are no less sharp after all this time. It was $6k but you can do payment plans so its only $200 a month for a few years. Best money I have ever spent in my entire life.
I just got lasik recently, like mid January. Dr. cleared me to dive as of Monday, so I'll probably go out tomorrow. I only paid $3k though, went to IQ laser vision which is in City of Industry, but has locations in like Costa Mesa and elsewhere in the southland. I was already 20/20 as of my 1 week checkup and they said it would get better as I healed and I would be fully healed in 3 months or so.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
turtle714
IDGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy View Post
I just got lasik recently, like mid January. Dr. cleared me to dive as of Monday, so I'll probably go out tomorrow. I only paid $3k though, went to IQ laser vision which is in City of Industry, but has locations in like Costa Mesa and elsewhere in the southland. I was already 20/20 as of my 1 week checkup and they said it would get better as I healed and I would be fully healed in 3 months or so.
How bad was your vision before your surgery?
turtle714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
buenasolas

I have 20/200 vision(yeah that bad), or an Rx of -4.00 diopters. I surf/swim/dive with contacts, as I would be pretty blind without them. I highly recommend getting daily disposables. They work out to be pretty cheap when you buy them in quantity online or at Costco. I currently use Acuvue Oasys, as they breathe really well(yes, your eyes need to breathe). I would recommend getting several different types as samples from the optometrist, and trying them. I occasionally lose a contact in the water, but I keep spares stashed in my car/desk/bag/etc.
buenasolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
shafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy View Post
I was paranoid about going to the right place so I went where a lot of pro athletes and celebrities went. I also got the procedure that does the most extensive computer mapping of my eye so that it would be razor sharp. a month later, i actually had 20/10 vision in one eye and 20/15 in the other. not sure if the extra $3k is the case today as there are more and more places doing it so prices are falling. regardless, make sure you do a lot of research and go to a reputable place. i know a couple people who went to cheap places (like $500 per eye) and had to go back a couple times to get it corrected.
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote