Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #1
dozeybear
Jordan

New Guy here; Mission Jetty?

Hey everyone new guy from San Diego here. Still relatively new to spearfishing 6' JBL for almost a year. I've only had luck at one spot and that's La Jolla-calicos, perch, eh, nothing special. Still learning on how to stalk fish. But I just wanted to ask some vets on some advice.

So I was out on the jetty for the first time, took off on the parking lot side an hour before high tide last weekend. I was further in because the current was pretty strong the further you got to to the ocean. I've been caught in the ripcurrent before on the surfside but thats a different story Visibility was 5ft.

Is it always like this? Or was it because of the high surf or?? I heard there's halibut and cabezon there so I was kind of disappointed. Does there need to be certain circumstances for the jetty?

Just trying to find some new spots where I could get my first halibut
dozeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
alanSB

Re: New Guy here; Mission Jetty?

You can dive there or across from it "hospitality point" but be aware of the boaters, some tend to come in pretty close and sometimes might not see you.

What I would be more scared of is that there use to be a landfill there and its all covered now but still contains that junk.

Just recently someone posted a PDF of the mercury levels of the fish in the jetty. Pretty useful info

Regarding the vis: The vis sometimes can get really nice! try going when the swell is down and wind is not high. 2 hours before or after low/high tide.

PM Albondiga he is a vet and will hopefully inform you.

Goodluck out there and keep diving!
Keep an eye out for my 6ft aluminum polespear and a missing scubapro fin! Thanks bud!
alanSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #3
dozeybear
Jordan

Alright will do! Thanks for the advice

My brother caught a sand bass there and it did taste a little funky
dozeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:58 AM   #4
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

I dove the mission bay jetty last year for the old school meet
I have never ever seen a jetty or breakwall anywhere in the world with so few fish
I think I just got it on a really bad day though, no one else shot anything anywhere that day either
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote