Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 06-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
ken jan

wetsuit for Jersey

Hi guys, I'm a diver for Northern Cal but now living in North Jersey. Would very much like to start diving from South Jersey to Long Island to New England. Wanted to ask the thickness of wet suits you use here on the east coast. summer/winter/fall/spring? and size of guns needed for the fish.

Thanks
ken jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
ImpalaSSpeed96
The Fluke Bridesmaid

Re: wetsuit for Jersey

3/5mm will cover everything you need to do.

70-90 in a band gun is my recommendation.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
ken jan

Thanks, I guess I won't bring my 7mm from Cali.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

There's no real winter season here unless you Scuba dive in which case you will want to be in a drysuit through winter.

Here's what I do

Spring..... I have a 7mm and I only use it in April and the first week or so of May. Everyone calls me wimp

Spring/ Early summer when diving gets good..when bottom water is freezing in summer.... 5mm

Summer to Early Fall.... 3mm

Late fall...5mm then quit for winter once cold and fish leave

So really having a 5mm and a 3mm will cover you for everything... everyone else I know and I used to as well just toughs out the first handful of short dives of the season each spring with a 5mm
Old 06-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
ken jan

Thanks! Do you guys have any recommendations on 3mm wet suits? looking at mako? sites to buy?

Are you guys in 3mm now?

Thanks

Last edited by ken jan; 06-13-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Ric

Yes Mako is very good and not very far, in one of the Carolinas if I recall. I ordered direct from them to get my 5 mm open suit. These are open suit and you absolutely need to lube the suit, so you need their special lube.
The link must be in the sponsor or the vendor lists in this forum.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

I'm still in a 5mm. I dove today and it was 62degrees. You could get by with a 3mm but may be a tad chilly if you did a long dive. Atlantic Spear and Scuba in Point Pleasant carries spearfishing gear and has an online shop. Stop in and check them out. You could buy your suit and be in the water minutes later testing it out
Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
jersymudsniper

Ric buy a empty spray bottle. Put water and unscented hair coditioner or baby shampoo in it.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
Burnz
People for Kaboat

I have a 3 and a 5 and get by fine from April to November... you don't need to buy suit slip any conditioner (doesn't need to be unscented or diluted) works fine. Just wet the suit and squirt a little inside and spread it around
Burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
jersymudsniper

Doesnt need to be unless ya wanna smell like cucumber mellon morning breeze
Old 06-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #11
Jersey Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken jan View Post
Thanks! Do you guys have any recommendations on 3mm wet suits? looking at mako? sites to buy?

Are you guys in 3mm now?

Thanks
I dove in Jersey today. Switched from the super warm Mako 5mm to the Mako 3mm today. 66F on surface, felt like mid to high 50s at 48 feet on the bottom. Felt fine in the 3mm. Think it will be my go to suit from this dive on, for the remainder of this season. If you don't buy open cell, then you may have to stick to 5mm for a while longer.
Jersey Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #12
nilsonov

If you only get one get the 5.
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #13
Ric

yes I used conditioner sometimes. Use a lot, once I didn't use enough and I damaged the suit with several punctures and stretches. Now I have to glue them.

By the way the suits at Mako are made by Yamamoto in 2 styles farmer/suspender and just pant and top.
I don't understand too much the concept of the farmer-style pants (suspender style) that actually covers all your abdomen plus some of your chest, because these parts are going to be re-covered with the top suit. So in these area you actually have 10 mm of neoprene with a 5 mm suit. That's a lots of buoyancy. Plus you are supposed to put the lube on the suit itself, on the abdomen area, otherwise the top won't suit on.
Anyways, I got the farmer style but is the other style - pant only - any good ?
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #14
jersymudsniper

Farmer john is good in colder conditions. You now have double your suit thickness on core area. I cut top off on my summer 3mm. But have it on my 5mm for colder conditions. No farmer john is easier to pee in the water also. And btw ya just spray the water/conditioner in suit then spread it around. Suit slips right on. I only use spray bottle places to acess to water. You can also bring cooler with water in it ane dunk suit but thats a pia.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #15
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
yes I used conditioner sometimes. Use a lot, once I didn't use enough and I damaged the suit with several punctures and stretches. Now I have to glue them.

By the way the suits at Mako are made by Yamamoto in 2 styles farmer/suspender and just pant and top.
I don't understand too much the concept of the farmer-style pants (suspender style) that actually covers all your abdomen plus some of your chest, because these parts are going to be re-covered with the top suit. So in these area you actually have 10 mm of neoprene with a 5 mm suit. That's a lots of buoyancy. Plus you are supposed to put the lube on the suit itself, on the abdomen area, otherwise the top won't suit on.
Anyways, I got the farmer style but is the other style - pant only - any good ?
As an FYI, our 2 piece camo suits come as a farmer k
John. The owner can cut the top off if desired. The seam lay out was designed to accommodate this option.

The fj is warmer but it prevents the diver from releaving themselves without removal of the top. We have a sale on the 3 mm suits this month. Also as the water temp changes many divers will mix and match, like wearing their 5 mm top with 3 mm bottoms.

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote