Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
jfjf

With 100 days; South Carolina

A rather long video of some of the dives (and other antics) on a recent commercial trip of South Carolina with 100-days (Tony). I’ve only dove once in Jax and nowhere else near this area. We were targeting lionfish, groupers and hogfish.

Tony made some extended lionfish containers, which I was hesitant to dive with until he started bringing them up stuffed with fish. The 5-ft long tube was a pain to swim with, but it was “worth it”, once we started finding a bunch of them. Tony got a lot more than me, but our total weight was around 250 lbs of lionfish.

We had an accident with the end of the container coming unscrewed and causing about half a dozen lionfish to fall out the end, missing Tony’s head by inches. I was significantly less calm about it than Tony. Luckily the accident resulted in no injuries. I was paranoid about being spined, since I’ve not yet found out if I am allergic to them.

I was stupid and tried to stack two fish on the pole spear and got the tinniest little prick, felt like a mosquito bite and had nothing more than an itch – very lucky I guess.

Visibility was good to excellent (even by Palm Beach standards) and the water was in the 80’s on the bottom. Weather varied from incredibly calm to pretty crappy (by my standards).

I’ve not free shafted for a few years now and decided to wimp out and stick with the line shaft. It slowed me down in some situations, saved a few fish in others, but seemed to work out well enough, since I never ran into a really dense aggregation of fish on any dive. I was using my usual MAKO 120 cm ETR gun with two bands and a single wrap of line.

It was fun getting a chance to pull the trigger on something other than porgies, sheepshead and yellow jacks. I didn’t film every dive, especially the late afternoon dives where the depths (mostly around 110 or so) would have made for dark video.

Saw one shark swimming away from me. Great diving and Tony is an excellent captain, diver and is easy to get along with. They do anchor diving up there. Something that will take me a while to get used to.

https://youtu.be/hswhmgK9ujE

jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Re: With 100 days; South Carolina

Fun trip,glad to have you onboard.We'll have to do it again.next time maybe I won't be on a diet and we can have that slipper fettuccini alfredo.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
jfjf

You saw slippers????��. Maybe I will try freeshafting with a 3 prong tip the next time. Thanks
Old 10-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Wow,looks like a lot of fun, congrats on a killer trip.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
kwyoungspear

Cool video. And nice boat 100days.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
SMERRILL

That might be the first 16 minute YT video I have ever watched. Nice work!
SMERRILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Jim, your shot placement is excellent. You can easily free shaft and increase your shots by 300%. Your viz and conditions up there stellar!! Nice trip Jim & Tony !!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
jfjf

Shot placement is often improved when the spearfisherman is allowed to make his own video.

Actually, I remember hitting and losing only one fish and also came up short on a line gun when I was trying a different, shorter gun. Other than that, things went well - and of course any of the several "clusters" with the shooting line - fell to the cutting room floor.

Thanks for the positive comments.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
Trailrunner

Thanks for posting. Very interesting and fun to watch video. Hard to even imagine conditions that nice and such quality fish. Seems like everyone that goes out with 100days has something nice to say. Congrats on a really fun looking trip.
Trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
Muay Thai
FL State & Nat Champ

Damn, you can actually shoot fish!

Scott
Muay Thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muay Thai View Post
Damn, you can actually shoot fish!

Scott
Thanks Scott. The enclosed track on that gun makes reloading much faster and easier than a normal gun and it shoots where you point it. Took 2 back up guns and several spare shafts and needed none of it.

It is the same gun I use for freediving on reefs and in open water for cobia and amberjack -- I just added a fishing sinker to the clip on the end of the handle to make the empty gun sink and stand straight up on the bottom.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
sacha58

you are da Man..... Da Cameraman.... but if you want real fettuccini alfredo better call me , I learned from Alfredo himself, in Rome.... ;-)

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
Dr.P

Awesome stuff!!
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #14
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Shot placement is often improved when the spearfisherman is allowed to make his own video.
No truer words have been said regarding spearfishing and video editing. I should create a blooper real with sound. I think I got a video of freeshafting a fish 3 f'ing times before it ended up on my stringer. All you see is the fish continuing to swim off my shaft as I'm cussing like crazy and scrambling to reload and hit him again and again and again.

Nice video. I thought that cuda was going to make a move there at the end.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #15
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
No truer words have been said regarding spearfishing and video editing. I should create a blooper real with sound. I think I got a video of freeshafting a fish 3 f'ing times before it ended up on my stringer. All you see is the fish continuing to swim off my shaft as I'm cussing like crazy and scrambling to reload and hit him again and again and again.

Nice video. I thought that cuda was going to make a move there at the end.
Try getting someone else to dive and film your spearfishing...I've got a 15 minute "misses" DVD of myself. It was crazy and once you get really pissed and lose confidence, the difficulties tend to amplify.

There are a variety of reasons spearos tend to dive alone.

Last edited by jfjf; 10-09-2016 at 05:38 PM.