Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
chuckcanavi

Incoming Spearo

Ahoy from NC! Looking for some fellow free-diving spearos to go out of Key West with September 7 - 13! I've got a sweet spot + boat at Harkers Island, NC for spearfishing - happy to reciprocate the favor if you're up my way.

About me:
- PFI Freediver Certified
- Spearfishing x 8 years - dealt with sharks, strong currents, etc. Mainly spearfish jetty's
- Comfortable diving 0-30 feet; beyond that 1 up: 1 down rule down to about 45 ft ish
- I'll have all my own gear and bringing jet ski with spearfishing platform setup
- Active duty military captain, Hooah, Hoo rah, EwwRAH, ooga ooga booga - I'll be staying on the Naval Air Station @ Trumbo Point.

Sounds like an e-harmony profile, but what can I say spearfishing is my love.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33866581_10160485044225092_8071573107850084352_o.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	238821  
Old 07-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Shootinfish

Re: Incoming Spearo

I have shot more sheepshead, cobia, and spanish off that jetty than you can shake a stick at! As a matter of fact my profile pic was taken at that jetty

Last edited by Shootinfish; 07-18-2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Shootinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
chuckcanavi

Shootinfish - the gun in your profile picture looks like a Mako Predator. Have you ever lost a gun out there?

We should go hammer the jetty together. I'll be at Harkers Island July 24-August 2 and going everyday the visibility is decent you're welcome to join.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #4
Shootinfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckcanavi View Post
Shootinfish - the gun in your profile picture looks like a Mako Predator. Have you ever lost a gun out there?

We should go hammer the jetty together. I'll be at Harkers Island July 24-August 2 and going everyday the visibility is decent you're welcome to join.
Man, I have lost 2 guns there. Both of them were lost by rookies afraid of sharks. The first was a Beuchat espadon that I keep for rookies when I can't find a dive buddy to go with me. He shot a sheepshead and one of the resident bulls came out of nowhere and tried taking it. He just let it go and hauled ass back to the boat. About 10 minutes later, I seen him on the boat and swam over to see what happened. When he told me I swam over to try and find it but to no avail.

Second gun was a back up predator pro like the one in my profile. Same scenario, different rookie. I no longer loan out guns to rookies haha. They get to just snorkel around.

I would love to go man. Unfortunately I will be working. I will be heading down the day after you leave for a week for vacation though. I'll be down there the the 3rd-12th! Keep in touch though. We definitely need to get up and kill some fish together. Have you ever dove the shackleford jetties?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
chuckcanavi

Hahaha darn amateurs. Lot of shark activity out there though - freaks me out a bit too. Last weekend we were using tuna heads for bait at end of jetty, hooked on a shark within 30 mins spooled 200 yards of 50lb braid then tail whip and snapped line past a 14 ft wire leader. We were thinking tiger or giant bull. I think I've got your Mako Predator 2G - found it next to the rocks earlier this year lol. It's a great gun, I replaced the bungees and it's perfect for sheepshead.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:53 AM   #6
Shootinfish

Haha I was hoping a fellow spearo would find it and put it to use rather than becoming part of a reef somewhere. They really are great guns for jetties and nearshore dives. Like I said before, I have taken multiple cobia in the 50# class with them. I'm glad your putting it to good use. As for the sharks, they have gotten braver over the years. I can remember just a few years ago not seeing a single shark there when diving it. Now, it seems they are there every dive and most of the time, they are a nuisance. I would have to say it's from people giving them their fish when they see them while they haul ass back to the boat. They have been trained to hear the gun go off and know they can have an easy meal
Old 07-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #7
chuckcanavi

I am eyeballing Western Dry Rocks, Middle Ground, and Middle Sambo right now. Saw the video of the shark attack at middle sambo - unfortunate, but likely prevented if he didn't go into prey mode trying to swim away, wasn't wearing bright colors, and had a good dive buddy to fend off or shoot the shark if needed.

Sounds like a lot of areas are over speared near key west - thinking about Marquesas too. If someone else is thinking about going out September 6-13th - I am happy to pay fair share fuel and more.

Watch "Shark Attacks Spearfisherman || Florida Keys 2017" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/kL6tOP0askY

Last edited by chuckcanavi; 07-23-2018 at 03:26 PM.
chuckcanavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
kwyoungspear

I’ll warn you that September is a pretty bad month to spearfish.

Shoot me a dm though, I’ll be out of town but my dad stays and primarily lobster dives that time of year but occasionally goes on the reef to catch em and we’ll run across groupers. I actually got my PB freediving black grouper spearfishing while my dad was lobstering.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
chuckcanavi

What's up with September being a bad month to spearfish? Hurricanes & storms stirred up water for poor visibility? Power chummers created aggressive sharks?

Pm sent - I am thinking about doing some lobstering as well.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #10
Shootinfish

^^^^all of the above
Old 07-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckcanavi View Post
What's up with September being a bad month to spearfish? Hurricanes & storms stirred up water for poor visibility? Power chummers created aggressive sharks?

Pm sent - I am thinking about doing some lobstering as well.

I responded to your PM but figured I would answer your question on here for other lurkers on the site.

By September the water is very warm and the fish like to move into deeper water. Along with the warm waters come algae blooms which doesn’t help the visibility. Also as you mentioned hurricane season can always play a role in ****ing things up. I’ve noticed busy hurricane seasons usually come in pairs, last season was pretty busy hopefully this one will not be, but who knows.

I honestly don’t have too many problems with aggressive sharks since I don’t chum and hunt efficiently and move spot to spot pretty quickly. I also don’t dive too many popular spots where sharks have been trained by rookie divers and charter fisherman. Honestly September might be your best month when it comes to sharks, they’re way more active when the water is cooler.