Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #181
jfjf

Re: Project Boat Discussion: Tips, Ideas, Mistakes...

I would absolutely have a hand rail on the roof. If you want to minize things, you could just have it on one side.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:57 PM   #182
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Thanks Eric.

I am on the fence about a bow rail. I may add one because of the kids. I might just do a short six inch high rail for something to grab hold of as someone is falling off. With as little anchoring we do, I'm not sure it's necessary.

I mocked it up both ways and felt no rail looked better. But they are nice to have on a pitching boat. I imagine the wife will request it as in the past she liked to sun tan up there.
Bow rails are handy especially when it’s rough and do offer additional safety while crew is on the bow but they are not essential. Given a choice I would opt to have bow rails. There is an alternative to bow anchoring and that method is to deploy your anchor from the transom once your anchor is initially deployed from the bow. If you pull your anchor to move to another spot, pull forward, gaff the anchor line, and cleat it on the stern cleat. Attach a float ball and float the anchor up. Then pull the anchor line from the stern and pile it on the deck at the transom. Perform your anchor deployment from the stern......it is safer for the crew than going up on the bow each time and much easier.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; Yesterday at 08:03 PM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:43 AM   #183
Gettingrouper2
Senior Shooter

What Spear one (kevin) said
Old 12-08-2018, 07:08 AM   #184
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

A word of caution on stern deployment/anchoring: If your boat has a low freeboard or a low cut transom, be careful when stern anchoring especially when it is rough. If your anchor is hung on the bottom you could swamp your transom when trying to dislodge your anchor. Once the anchor sets release the line from the transom cleat and you will swing to a bow anchor position.

Last edited by Spear One; Yesterday at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #185
sealark

Never anchor or tie off from the stern for any reason. Even in calm water a big boat can fly buy and swamp your boat.
I located a sunk 21 ft boat on the freighter years ago that tried to pull there anchor cleated from the stern. The women was found off pensacola beach the man was never found.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #186
Wood Guy

Think worse case scenario. The seas have come up (say 3-4's with some 5's), and you're having trouble with your engines (say a bad electrical connection somewhere that you need to troubleshoot). You need to deploy a bottom anchor or a sea anchor to keep from turning beam sea and risk capsizing. Everyone is sick, so they aren't much help. You always run the boat, so even though the others are boaters, they may not be familiar with your boat. Not all that far fetched of a scenario. Going forward on a wet bow pitching in 4 foot seas with nothing to keep from going overboard to deploy an anchor is not what I would want to add to the situation. THAT'S when you need the bow rail.

Tin Man and I built a welded aluminum dive boat and launched it 20 year ago this year. We were excited about taking it out so we used it a few times without bow rails. He ran the boat, so I was the grunt. After a few trips I made the bow rails a priority to finish before the next trip.

My advice is to install bow rails and always anchor (sea or bottom) from the bow-with lots of line (4 foot per foot of depth if possible).
Wood Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #187
CuzzA

I agree about the issues of no bow rail. I'll likely add one. No windlass on this boat, just another thing to break. I'll be using an anchor ball.

You can see in the second illustration the two rails on the pilot house. Top of the house and back side.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #188
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

If
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Never anchor or tie off from the stern for any reason. Even in calm water a big boat can fly buy and swamp your boat.
I located a sunk 21 ft boat on the freighter years ago that tried to pull there anchor cleated from the stern. The women was found off pensacola beach the man was never found.
I went back and read my post and I failed to include that after deploying your anchor from the stern to then swing it off the bow after the anchor sets. I have edited my comments in my original post accordingly. My post was meant to point out that there are other ways to handle anchoring the don’t involve going up on the bow. Many recreational boats are not well suited or designed for stern anchoring and those boats should bow anchor just to be safe.

On a side note: Virtually every Gulf of Mexico commercial rod and reel/bandit/spearfishing boat operator I have ever known all stern anchor their boats while fishing when the seas allow. It is really “standard operating procedure” for those guys. I have been doing it for over 35 years and have never even come close to swamping the boat.

Last edited by Spear One; Yesterday at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #189
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
I agree about the issues of no bow rail. I'll likely add one. No windlass on this boat, just another thing to break. I'll be using an anchor ball.

You can see in the second illustration the two rails on the pilot house. Top of the house and back side.
I really don't see that boat pitching much given seas that any knowledgeable capt'n would ever like to be on the water in...but you never know. Some sort of good structure to hold on to just in case something weird happens would be nice.
On another topic of windlasses...I learned the lesson the hard way. You don't use your windlass for the anchoring device. It will kill the bearings in the windlass. You have to use a cleat for tie off even if you have a windlass.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM   #190
jstbecauz

Send a message via AIM to jstbecauz

Quote:
Thanks man. You get the kinks worked out on your boat with props, etc.? Top speed? I recall you were close to 70.

As of now, I'm going with the gallon jug fresh water rationing method. But I have some deck space to add a freshwater shower if I change my mind. Something I can always add.
Honestly, embarrassed to say, I've been tinkering with everything else except the props. That is next on then list. Just got the back door installed and just been busy working on the house. Found another project, but still trying to make a deal.

Can't wait to see your final product, it's always cool to see something no one else looked cause they couldn't invision the end game.
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM   #191
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbecauz View Post
Honestly, embarrassed to say, I've been tinkering with everything else except the props. That is next on then list. Just got the back door installed and just been busy working on the house. Found another project, but still trying to make a deal.

Can't wait to see your final product, it's always cool to see something no one else looked cause they couldn't invision the end game.
No doubt. Since seeing you, Dan, Jaizzen's projects I've opened my eyes to what a boat hull could become. I'm pretty sure I'll do a bigger project one day and a big offshore racing hull will be at the top of the list. Right now I just don't have the yard to store one.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote