Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Gator.Lynch

Weight-belt needed for freediving?

I am a beginner freediver/spearfisher and I am completely stumped. I am 126lbs
5'6 and will be diving using a rashguard and shorts. I am pretty much only able to dive between 10 - 35ft and can only stay on the bottom for like a minute max. Do I need to have a weight belt? if so how much weight would do? Thanks in advance
Gator.Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
jfjf

Re: Weight-belt needed for freediving?

Most likely you will not need a weight belt. Lead is needed to offset blubber and the buoyany of neoprene wetsuits. Sounds like you have neither.

Possibly you might need 2-3 maybe 4 lbs max, but it is safer to wear less lead than more. Also there is a big difference between 10 and 35 feet.

If you want to lay motionless on the bottom hunting fish in 10 feet, you may need some lead. At 35 feet depth, your lungs and chest will be crushed and you will be heavier and I would be surprised if you would want any lead for that depth.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Murk_Man'22

yea buddy im the same size as you give or take 5lbs and an inch when its summer I use a total of three # of lead just to speed things up a bit. but you realy don't need it what you need are some good platic long blade fins to get you started and a good mask and the rest will come with practice and time

Murk_Man'22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Gator.Lynch

Alright thanks, I have freediving fins as well as an omer alien mask. I will still get a belt just to have it. Thanks for the help.
Gator.Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote