Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 12-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
Castronova
The Conch Republic

2017 Key West Wahoo Shootout

Started putting up flyers around town today(below). The shirts and hats have been ordered and all the prize packages are mostly complete.

The Charity raffle will be held at the awards ceremony on Sunday night. We expect about $5,000 worth of raffle prizes comprised of spearfishing and boating gear and local gift certificates as well. We're still working on it.

There will be a captains prize worth $3,500 that will include an Amadeo Bachar Original (wahoo themed) painted just for the tournament, a Seadek helm station pad, and a Fusion 500 watt marine amp. Captains prize is $40 to register.

We have a team prize as well this year. We will announce how the team and captains prizes will be won in the next week or two. The team prize is 50% off up to 4 divers for a 5 day, 3 day spearfishing trip to Sea Sniper Baja to dive Cerralvo Island. All boats can register for this by giving a boat name and list of up to 4 divers.

We also extended the Open Category from 3 to 5 places this year. We have now also created 1st and 2nd for Mutton Snapper category.

1st Place Open is valued at ~$4,600
2nd Place Open is valued at ~$1,600
3rd Place Open is valued at ~$900
4th Place Open is valued at ~$300
5th Place Open is valued at ~$150

1st Place Junior is valued at ~$1,300
2nd Place Junior is valued at ~$700

1st Place Mutton Snapper is valued at ~$450
2nd Place Mutton Snapper is valued at ~$275

We are still trying to add more prizes as can get them.

Notable charity raffle prizes that we have so far (this raffle is open to everyone):

Sea Sniper DiveR Blades
Koah Fin/Gear Bag
E-Sea Rider Bean Bag
Red Tide Weigh Scale and Pelican Case
Sport Tube
Speared Gear Nova Suit
Woodroze Sunglasses
Spearingmagazin Subscription, Hat, and shirt
FII level 1 class from Formula Freediving
Bluetec Flame Blades
Magna Gas Grill
Farout Fishing half day charter
Amadeo Bachar Large Wahoo over the Keys Framed print
Amadeo Bachar Medium Hogfish over the Keys Framed Print
Riffe Utility backpack

All this is subject to availability and can change but 95% of it has been set in stone.

Last edited by Castronova; 12-20-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

Re: 2017 Key West Wahoo Shootout

define "open category" jon
also- is it just wahoo and muttons then?
with separate prizes for each?
I would pm these quaestions - but I figure maybe others might want to know this stuff
I think it's safe to say - you will have a good year- the wahoo are thick!
unless you guys killed them all before the event-hah
Sixto got a 71lb er-(on your boat right?)
I know GR went out with chris M - and they got a bunch of them (I heard 18 - but IDK how accurate that is)
Old 12-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaler Spearguns View Post
define "open category" jon
also- is it just wahoo and muttons then?
with separate prizes for each?
I would pm these quaestions - but I figure maybe others might want to know this stuff
I think it's safe to say - you will have a good year- the wahoo are thick!
unless you guys killed them all before the event-hah
Sixto got a 71lb er-(on your boat right?)
I know GR went out with chris M - and they got a bunch of them (I heard 18 - but IDK how accurate that is)
Open class is open to any one who wants to enter and is comprised of the majority of prizes and value. The rules are on the website (www.kwwahooshootout.com) but for the open and junior class prizes each diver can enter 1 wahoo and 1 secondary fish (Amberjack, King Mackerel, Cobia, AP) per day. Wahoo are worth 1 point per pound and secondary fish are worth .5 points per pound. Places are aggregate of the divers 2 day points total. There is a weigh in each day at the rear of Waterfront Brewery.

Mutton category is by itself and has nothing to do with the open or junior class prize categories or fish. All divers are eligible. Each diver can enter 1 mutton snapper per day. Winners will be the 2 highest points total for the 2 fish aggregate. Right now 1st place Mutton is worth about $450 which includes a pair of Mythicon Carbon Fiber Fin blades, Seadek swag and step kit, and a Red Tide weigh scale (I'm trying to get this prize up to about $700 if I can). 2nd place mutton is worth around $270, a very nice camera size Pelican Case and Seac's new L70 mask and snorkel all from Divers Direct Key West.

No problem asking on here, better if everyone see's it, thank you.

Sixto shot his 71.5#'er on Aaron Young's boat. I know GR did very good too. If January is anything like November and December have been there should be a lot of fish weighed. Just don't count on it being calm, I'm sure the sea's will be angry. That is just part of this time of year.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Tournament has been postponed until January 27 - 29th.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
Tournament has been postponed until January 27 - 29th.
weather?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaler Spearguns View Post
weather?
Yeah.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #7
tipofthespearo

How's it looking?
tipofthespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipofthespearo View Post
How's it looking?
I'm not sure what you mean.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipofthespearo View Post
How's it looking?
I think he's referring to the weather on the 27th-29th

Anyone have a crystal ball?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
Castronova
The Conch Republic

If the questions refers to weather, it's too far out.

As far as the tournament, nothing is changing. The Brewery is still accommodating us and it will still be Friday captains meeting, Saturday weigh-in, Sunday weigh-in and Sunday night awards and charity raffle. We may move the times around a little since there are less conflicting events at the venue that weekend.

We had 43 early entrees. That dropped with the reschedule. We lost one team officially and probably another one will drop but not confirmed. But we restarted early registration rates and have since picked up another team. If the weather is good I'd guess we could have 55 - 60 divers, or more.

Unless its blowing 35+ it will not be postponed again. If its 5' to 6' outside we will get with everyone and create an inshore tournament and everyone will have to go brave the murk.

We have also changed the gentleman's start to a shotgun start both days.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #11
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Jason, not sure why you deleted your message but I'm going to respond anyway as it was a great question from what I remember. I just wasn't by a computer and couldn't answer.

Shotgun start is everyone starting at the same place. This will likely be off of White St. Pier. Every boat will have a card with a number. You will need to be there to check in your boat by showing your number to the check out boat or check out person at the pier. You cannot leave until the count down on the radio.

After the start the boat/person will stay behind 20 minutes or so for those running behind.

If you have boat trouble or are going to be late you will need to call the check out number (the weigh master will be available for this). You will have to send a live video with your boat number and GPS location. When you get fixed up you will need to go by the pier and meet the check out person there to show your number and then you can leave.

If you don't check out you are not eligible to weigh fish that day. Simple as that.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #12
Squidhead

I'm in need of a ride! Is there anyone, in the tournament, with room for 1 FII level 1, safe diver, age 44 on their boat? Will pay my share and I'm self sufficient. Also, need recommendation for hotel close. Will be coming down from Palm Beach, hopefully leaving Friday morning.
Squidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #13
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidhead View Post
I'm in need of a ride! Is there anyone, in the tournament, with room for 1 FII level 1, safe diver, age 44 on their boat? Will pay my share and I'm self sufficient. Also, need recommendation for hotel close. Will be coming down from Palm Beach, hopefully leaving Friday morning.
Best place to post it is on the tournaments facebook page. There were a couple other guys looking as well.

Call Vacation Key West at 305-295-9500, tell them you are with the tournament. They should be able to help with a room.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #14
Castronova
The Conch Republic

As of yesterday we have added 2 cash calcuttas. There will be $100 per day per boat big wahoo prize for those that want to join it. It will pay out 2 places a day at 60/40 split minus 10% holding fee. Each boat can enter one fish per day. There will be 2 independent people who check-out boats, weigh fish, and hold cash prizes. It will not be myself or any of the tournament owners.

Right now we have 7 boats committed so there will be at least $700 a day paid out, more if more boats join in.