Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
Keysspearoo

Regular pipe gun barrel vs. cuttlefish barrel

Do you guys think the cuttlefish barrels really make that much more of a difference in the water as opposed to a regular pipe gun? I know it’s supposed to help you track and swing easier but is it really worth spending the extra money on the barrel itself? From what i see carbon pipe gun barrels are anywhere from 80-100 bucks and carbon cuttlefish barrels are $200-$300 (not from alibaba or any of those sites).

Thanks for the help
Keysspearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:38 PM   #2
Benjaminbo111

Re: Regular pipe gun barrel vs. cuttlefish barrel

In my expierence with both types of guns, I would say that it is definitely worth the money. When I use my hammerhead raptor 90cm roller with the cuttlefish barrel it’s glides through the water with ease. On the other hand when I use normal pipe guns like some of my seac guns, I notice the mobility and the stability of the gun decrease in the water, and swinging on a fish seems more sluggish.
Benjaminbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
Marco

IMHO the main difference is the buoyancy. A cuttlefish floats more, so you can use heavier shafts without compromising the balance.
With the bands loaded, I don't see much difference in handling. Even less if it is a roller that has bands up and down.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
IMHO the main difference is the buoyancy. A cuttlefish floats more, so you can use heavier shafts without compromising the balance.
With the bands loaded, I don't see much difference in handling. Even less if it is a roller that has bands up and down.
Marco is right, the cuttlefish shape gives more buoyancy by increasing the water displacement of the weapon, but can make it more of a paddle in the vertical direction. As fish are usually travelling horizontally you want a lateral swing to bring your gun to action, however I usually let the fish swim into the shot by swinging the gun back into his flight path. Up down adjustments are less necessary, so the cuttlefish shape is not such a problem and this can be ameliorated by the elliptic style barrels which taper towards the muzzle.

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-19-2019 at 05:40 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote