Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2008 Tournament Archives > Cape Town Bluewater Tuna Open Invitational May 6-10, 2008

Cape Town Bluewater Tuna Open Invitational May 6-10, 2008 Post here for some amazing and wild excitement on the tip of Africa

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #16
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Cape Town Yellowfin Tuna Open Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRABIE View Post
We would just like to get some hardcore spearo's to come have some fun in the Cape of Good Hope. We will organize some local entertainment on the days off like visiting Table Mountain and maybe go on a famous Stellenbosch wine tour. You do not have to be crazy to participate, but it will help! Cheers AJ

Sounds great AJ!

I have taken the cable car up to the top of Table mountain. What a fantastic view that is!

Good luck to all participants! Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:04 AM   #17
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Re: Cape Town Yellowfin Tuna Open Tournament

This comp looks like it is going to be a great event - so far it looks like there will be two teams from the USA, 2 from Russia, one from Australia and a few from South Africa - so get your entries in and flights booked. Cape Town is one of the great cities of the world and the spearing there is just awesome...

Safe, Selective, Sustainable Seafood!
www.wildphotossafaris.com
www.diving-action.com
Wilddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Cape Town Yellowfin Tuna Open Tournament

Interest is brewing for this event. I set up a new forum for the event. I have been there several times and South Africa lives up to its old travel slogan -

A World within One Country!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996

Last edited by SpearMax; 02-05-2008 at 10:31 AM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #19
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Daryl,

Any idea on who the other teams are yet? Anyone else from the board going?

Eric
Old 02-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #20
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill shot View Post
Daryl,

Any idea on who the other teams are yet? Anyone else from the board going?

Eric
Not sure who the other teams are...one from Australia and one from USA and possibly one from Russia. They are expecting 4 international teams and have 8 teams from South Africa signed up.

Bernie is coming out and I am fixing him up with two other divers, an Aussie and a South Africa. Sterling Kaya from HSD magazine is interested and may get a team from Hawaii...hopefully that will pan out.

Our team is registered and I'll get t-shirts and hats made up! Started training?

www.diving-action.com
Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #21
scubadown16

Daryl,
Very interested in this... How ever I don't have any other people to partner with. I am also already committeed to Dennis Hausslers 3rd annuel Blue Water Invitational in La Paz Mexico in July. So if I can swing the extra 2500 bucks (Airfare from Denver Colorado is not cheap) I am in.
scubadown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 AM   #22
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadown16 View Post
Daryl,
Very interested in this... How ever I don't have any other people to partner with. I am also already committeed to Dennis Hausslers 3rd annuel Blue Water Invitational in La Paz Mexico in July. So if I can swing the extra 2500 bucks (Airfare from Denver Colorado is not cheap) I am in.
I've PM'd you...hope it works out.

www.diving-action.com
Old 02-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #23
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Scubadown, 2500 seams steep. I have left from St. Thomas for around 1200. If you can't find anything cheaper let me know. I have a great travel agent who might be able to help you out.

Eric
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #24
NOTANX
shane, snorkologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Thanks for the information, I will try and put together a team for this tournament
im in if youre paying!!

Palm Beach Freedivers
flfreedivers.com
Rob Allen Railguns
NOTANX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #25
scubadown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill shot View Post
Scubadown, 2500 seams steep. I have left from St. Thomas for around 1200. If you can't find anything cheaper let me know. I have a great travel agent who might be able to help you out.

Eric
It wouldn't be 2500 for airfare in fact its 1500 to fly. I am saying 2500 for air, cost of entering, spending money, and things like that. I want to do this so bad thou. I will try and swing it. I already have 3000 out there for La Paz in July.

Eric are you in for sure. If so with who?
scubadown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #26
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Yep, In for sure with Daryl and Zak from South Africa. Also signed up for the World Cup as well. So I will see you there for that.

Eric
Old 02-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #27
Seth
freedive spearo

Send a message via MSN to Seth

cant make this years so ive allready started saving for next year

it sounds like the perfect event
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #28
ricky05
mediterranean fury

Send a message via Yahoo to ricky05

I put a thread about in my site, Apnea Magazine, Italy.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #29
downandout

Can competitors use pneumatics?
downandout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #30
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Spearfishing equipment & Rules:

Competitors shall be allowed to use the following equipment: mask, snorkel, fins, protective suit, knifes, gaffs, torches, reels and floats, fish stringers and weight belt.

One or more spearguns of spring, rubber or compressed air variety, loaded with the competitor’s own muscular skill, may be used.

No auxiliary breathing apparatus (other than snorkel ) or powerheads may be used in anyway to assist in shooting or fighting fish.

Floats must be used at all times when the diver is in the water. Floats must be a readily visible colour, be a minimum of 1.5 litres, and be clearly visible in the water during choppy or rough seas.

It is forbidden to use gut to secure marker buoys, as the means of attachment must be clearly visible.
Allowing the optional use of Shark Pods will be decided upon by the tournament Committee.

Any fish wounded by a spearfisher can under no circumstances be claimed by another competitor spearing it on the same day of the competition.
No fish shall be entered in the competition if it was speared while being hampered by any line or apparatus, from swimming freely.

No help may be accepted in fighting a fish. Once a fish has been subdued and brought to the surface, a competitor may only accept outside assistance in boating the catch.

Any competitor loading a speargun outside the water or leaving the water with a loaded speargun is automatically disqualified. It is also forbidden to have a loaded speargun attached to the buoy.

It is forbidden to exchange catches. Any competitor found doing so may be disqualified and banned from competing in any future SAUHF events.

Competitors must remain within 40 meters of their floats.

All participants must comply with the current regulations of the South African Sea Fisheries and Marine Resources legislation and everybody is expected to be familiar with the current legislation relevant to the area in which they are diving.

Media representatives will be randomly assigned to boats before the boat draw is made and may enter the water on occasion.

All fish except one per boat per day will be the property of Bellville Underwater Club and will be donated to charity. We have obtained official dispensation.

Scores:
All gamefish score one point per kilogram. Additional points per specie still to be decided by Tournament officials.

No individual scoring will be made, only teams will get points

No minimum weight for gamefish other that legal size if prescribed by legislation.

The following fish will not be eligible in the yellowfin competition: Sea barbell, babel eel , any specie of shark, skates, rays, sunfish, brindle bass (grouper), potato bass (grouper) or any reef fish.

Weight must be measured to the lowest 100 grams. The scale must be correctly calibrated not more than six months prior to the championships.

If two or more teams score the same points, then the team with the most fish shall win the competition.
The team captain and one team member shall be present within the weigh in area during the weigh in and recording of the scores for the team in question. The captain shall witness the weights of the fish in his team’s catch, whilst the other member witnesses that the scores are correctly recorded. Before the weigh master commences the weigh in for the next team, the captain shall sign the score sheet accepting that he is satisfied with the scores recorded.

Trophies:
Bellville Underwater Club will hold any floating trophies after presentation to winner.

Officials:
Officials, media representatives or crew may swim, without guns, with the team they are accompanying or inspecting.

Boats:
The use of boats in this competition is compulsory.
All boats used in this competition must comply with local regulations governing the use of such boats
All boats are to fly Alpha flag( diver down flag) whilst diving is in progress.
Less divers per boat allowed provided that the team captain could remain in contact with their team at all times.

Interpretation of the rules and complaints:

These rules may only be altered by an annual general meeting or special meeting or by post annual general meeting, except where it is indicated that the tournament committee may enforce special regulations made for a particular competition by the organizing committee.
The interpretation of any regulations by the Tournament Committee shall be final.
The Tournament committee shall have the power to enforce any laid down regulations or any decisions made by the committee.

www.diving-action.com