Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #31
gogators27
Lets shoot some fish!

Re: Take first breath at 100+ ft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Then why in the H^%$ would you ask such a contraversial question like this?
He may in fact have saved sombodies life by asking this question....
gogators27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #32
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Diego View Post
No bueno... Pipin used to do this and had many complications that almost killed him.

What complications? How did you learn about his near death experience from taking a breath at 100 ft?

When I learned to scuba dive, we were REQUIRED to ascend from 60 feet while exhaling the entire time. I'm not sure I understand what is specifically different, if a scuba diver does an emergency ascent exhaling all the way versus a "freediver" who has taken in compressed air at the same depth and performs the exact same ascent profile (from moderate depths of course).
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #33
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

JFJF, the theory that people are opperating under is that the pressure from the outside water will have changed the profile of the diver's lungs...I am not a scuba guy so I don't know if this happens to scuba divers or not as you are breathing in air that is automatically compressed to the depth you are at by the water. Isee the thinking about the emergency ascent as a scuba guy, but you probably dont have the O2 debt that a freediver might at the end of a dive.

just my line of reasoning...all I know for certain is I wont be trying it
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #34
Hank49

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
yes so no troubles are expected.

on regular basis NO ..but for fun YES !!

it `s funny to read lots from possible scenario from people who never tried !!

last january 2010 ..sorry was not at 100 but around 70 and i ve no photos from me breathing on a reg from free diving.down and up..but ..
I've done it from 60 feet. I free dove down to my buddy who was scuba diving, took a couple breaths and slowly went up, breathing out...about 15 years ago. Now I'm an old fart and a little more cautious.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #35
FredT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
What complications? How did you learn about his near death experience from taking a breath at 100 ft?

When I learned to scuba dive, we were REQUIRED to ascend from 60 feet while exhaling the entire time. I'm not sure I understand what is specifically different, if a scuba diver does an emergency ascent exhaling all the way versus a "free diver" who has taken in compressed air at the same depth and performs the exact same ascent profile (from moderate depths of course).
When doing a "free ascent" you start with 'empty" lungs, because you have already exhaled before you tried to inhale and found out there wasn't anything there to get. 'empty lungs are still about 80% "full" due to the dead spaces in the main pipes and the not collapsed aveoli. A free diver at 100' has lungs ~ 30% "full," most of which will be in the large hard pipes the aveoli effectively completely compressed. Starting "almost full" and coming up is a LOT different than starting flat empty and trying to inflate, then coming up. I HAVE done free ascents from 140 to 160' a few times. Not fun, and not something I want to repeat, but the fact I'm typing this is proof that it is possible with just a little bit of air and airway management. I have absolutely no intention of trying it the other way around and expecting to survive it.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #36
nilsonov

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post
When doing a "free ascent" you start with 'empty" lungs, because you have already exhaled before you tried to inhale and found out there wasn't anything there to get. 'empty lungs are still about 80% "full" due to the dead spaces in the main pipes and the not collapsed aveoli. A free diver at 100' has lungs ~ 30% "full," most of which will be in the large hard pipes the aveoli effectively completely compressed. Starting "almost full" and coming up is a LOT different than starting flat empty and trying to inflate, then coming up. I HAVE done free ascents from 140 to 160' a few times. Not fun, and not something I want to repeat, but the fact I'm typing this is proof that it is possible with just a little bit of air and airway management. I have absolutely no intention of trying it the other way around and expecting to survive it.
holy crap, that's a helluva free ascent. What place you in that situation? equipment failure?
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #37
Capytan
So far from salt...

It's dangerous, you could get hurt, you could die....
Just like everything that could happen riding bulls, fishing for crab, or climbing Denali...
Havnt done any of these things, so I wont tell you what to do.
Capytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #38
FredT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsonov View Post
holy crap, that's a helluva free ascent. What place you in that situation? equipment failure?
Well, kind of. The worst one was from ~160ft. It was due to a general nervous system failure precipitated by significant contact with a bristle worm. A search on here will pull up that story. Be aware that it's long. I REALLY DON"T LIKE bristle worms!

Back in the dark ages before SPGs a free ascent was the normal end to a dive if the J-valve got bumped, which it often did. Those up to about 130 generally were the result of either bumping a j-valve while bugging, or breating past the restriction (possible if sipping air to stretch it.)
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #39
STITCH
ICU Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaB27 View Post
Had the same thing. Wasn't from diving per say. Was from swim practice and doing a set of 10 x 50 meters all out underwater with no breath. Did a couple of them and my lung ruptured. Didn't know any better and kept swimming for another hour and a half.

Mine was called Pneumomedia Stinum.
I noticed it after the 3rd dive. I felt like I had a loogie that wouldnt come out and went for a 4th not knowing i had a real problem. It took a couple of hours for the effects to really kick in. Once they did I was off to the ER, only to find out the chamber Dr. doesnt work the weekends. Nope, not kiddiing....
STITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #40
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank49 View Post
I've done it from 60 feet. I free dove down to my buddy who was scuba diving, took a couple breaths and slowly went up, breathing out...about 15 years ago. Now I'm an old fart and a little more cautious.
YO MAN !! this was dangerous !! you might could die!!
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 AM   #41
Scott Diego
Ocean Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
It was detailed in his book "the dive" I read it about 6 months ago so it is hard for me to remember exactly what the prognosis was. Nevertheless, he had a blackout and had to stay out of the water for a long time after it. (I believe he had scarring on his brain from doing these types of dives) But I will defer to the passage of his book that explains it.

http://www.darnellcapital.com

"hasta la victoria siempre"
Scott Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #42
ribonzz

I usually breath when i really needs the oxygen.
ribonzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #43
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Diego View Post
It was detailed in his book "the dive" I read it about 6 months ago so it is hard for me to remember exactly what the prognosis was. Nevertheless, he had a blackout and had to stay out of the water for a long time after it. (I believe he had scarring on his brain from doing these types of dives) But I will defer to the passage of his book that explains it.
Wow I never read his book...
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #44
XXXFishingTeam

I think I remember reading in the book she would just start to cough uncontrollably if she did that..
XXXFishingTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #45
chasintail
Hell Diver

I shot a snapper at about 60 foot.I don't shoot fish deeper than that freediving.It peeled some line off my reel and tangled 80ish or so.I had two buddies on scuba at 60ft ( thats were the snapper were hanging).I made a drop to a buddie and took a few breaths from his octo and dove to the tangled fish,brained it,and got the cable unwraped.I did like I was taught in OW and hummed on the way up.Stoped at 60 for a little more air and ascended to the surface the same way . No problems.
I'm not telling you its ok because I have certainly paid the price for taking risk.Just my .02 cents.
chasintail is offline   Reply With Quote