Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Who started throwing guns off boats?

It came up again on the "things nobody told me..." thread, and nobody I've asked has an answer.

Who started the (dare I say) tradition of throwing a loaded gun back in the water if it's passed up to the boat?

Personally, I'd never do it because there's no way to control where the heck it ends up, and in which direction it's pointing. The very smack on the water seems like a high probability of a misfire.

OR, is this all hearsay, and it's never really happened to anyone other than a friend who was on a cousins boat with a new diver at a remote spot nobody's heard of. Just sounds like hooey to me

Back to the start: Who started this? Who has actually done it?

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Don Paul

Re: Who started throwing guns off boats?

Never heard about it in my group.
If I was on someones else's boat I went by the skipper's rules of engagement.
Don
Don Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
pernicia

I've heard that from the Dive Master working the deck on a Scuba/spearfishing charter in the Fort Lauderdale area.
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'o Cino View Post
It came up again on the "things nobody told me..." thread, and nobody I've asked has an answer.

Who started the (dare I say) tradition of throwing a loaded gun back in the water if it's passed up to the boat?

Personally, I'd never do it because there's no way to control where the heck it ends up, and in which direction it's pointing. The very smack on the water seems like a high probability of a misfire.

OR, is this all hearsay, and it's never really happened to anyone other than a friend who was on a cousins boat with a new diver at a remote spot nobody's heard of. Just sounds like hooey to me

Back to the start: Who started this? Who has actually done it?
I'll plead guilty to starting that rumor on this board. I haven't been following that thread, but was I the one who said it?

In the early 60s when I was stationed at MCAS Kaneohe in Hawaii, we had a dive club on base, and Special Services bought the club an old Navy 40' boat. I was somehow designated as one of the three or four guys authorized to skipper the boat.

There was a Staff Sgt. in the club- I even recall his name, Dennis Kerwin. He had a crusty old local civilian professional spearfisherman dive buddy that he brought along on our club boat now and then. The guy was a haole, but he dove a lot with native Hawaiian professional spearfishermen. His first name was Roy, but I can't recall his last name.

When the subject of handing up loaded guns came up, Roy said that standard practice among his buddies was to hit the offender in the head with the gun and then throw it as far as possible.

I can't confirm that he actually did that. I never saw him do that, so take it for what its worth. I can only say that my judgement was that he was the sort of guy who might well do that, but that's only my assessment of character, and I've been fooled before. He may have been a pansy hiding behind a very rough facade.

Maybe you could send a letter to General Delivery, Honolulu, attn. Roy, and ask him. That is if he's still alive.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
Diablo Loco

Hey Michael,

I think I found the thread you were talking about. Hope this is it.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...oaded+speargun

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
Calif_Diver

I was on a very popular boat out of Ventura once and we were warned, hand a loaded gun once you will get a stern warning,second time no warning just watch your gun go flying overboard.
Calif_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
DiveGal
Today's the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo Loco View Post
Hey Michael,

I think I found the thread you were talking about. Hope this is it.

I started this thread as an eductional thread after 2 close calls by personal friends. I dive 3 different private boats regularly and that is policy on all 3 boats. And you know what? No one has EVER handed up a loaded spear gun on any of those boats. You can say, "Don't hand up a loaded gun; you could hurt someone" Or you can say, "If you hand up a loaded gun, you're going to go swimming for it." Amazing how $$$ wins out over safety so often.

Oh, and for the guy who said that they'd make the thrower go get it, well, all I can say is you gotta get in the boat first and it's a long swim to the beach...
Old 03-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Thanks for the responses, especially Bill!

It's kind of like a Cold Case episode to find where this all originated. Sort of like 'who was the first to summit Everest?'...most people get it wrong because of the accepted media.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Scott Diego
Ocean Bound

Michael, Tenzing Norgay was the first to summit right? (without google) There is a cool bar in Kathmandu where all the Everest climbers sign Yeti feet and put them on the wall...

I am going to try and find the thread where the guy on the boat got shot in the face, when the gun was handed up. (that being said, I let people leave them loaded all the time on my boat, offshore (I rarely do it though because the bands get wore out fast))

http://www.darnellcapital.com

"hasta la victoria siempre"
Scott Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
ribonzz

Well there was a story about a boatboy who throw off his client's gun..
ribonzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
DeepAssasin
Ron Boy

I've had a dive master threaten to cut the bands on any loaded spearguns handed up to the boat. Of course, I haven't seen it happen. I have been passed a loaded gun by a newbie. I took the gun, unloaded it, and warned him of how careless/dangerous that is... the guy hasn't done it since.

Safety is paramount, but spearguns are expensive and people get distracted while splashing around on the surface trying hold gear and fish. The person on the boat has the responsibility of being aware of the situation as well. If somebody cuts my bands or throws my gun to sink into the abyss... there is a good chance that we are both about to have a bad day!

Have mercy on the devil, he's a friend of mine...
DeepAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
Diablo Loco

I was able to find a few more threads on this topic.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...peargun&page=2

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Diego View Post
Michael, Tenzing Norgay was the first to summit right? (without google) There is a cool bar in Kathmandu where all the Everest climbers sign Yeti feet and put them on the wall...

))
Awesome answer, but only partially correct. Ed said the actual first step on the summit would die with Tenzing and him. Nobody really knows, and Evans and I tried our best with lots of Guiness, but the truth never came forth!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
So-Cal Spearo
Austin Derry

I'll load my big gun up on board, tie the floatline to a cleat and throw it in all the time. Whats the problem? Sometimes you have fish swim right up when you hit the water and are loading...Just dont be a friggin idiot about it.

So-Cal Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 AM   #15
jeffcroci

I agree. its the satndard in PV. the guns stay loaded on the baot. I'm totally ok with it

QUOTE=So-Cal Spearo;1159596]I'll load my big gun up on board, tie the floatline to a cleat and throw it in all the time. Whats the problem? Sometimes you have fish swim right up when you hit the water and are loading...Just dont be a friggin idiot about it.[/quote]