Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
spearo75
Nowhere near the ocean

Send a message via Yahoo to spearo75
Question about live capture of fish

I have a question for all you spearos. Would any of you ever feel the need to spear a fish alive? What I mean is, using your current spearfishing equipment would you capture a fish alive rather than kill it with ur shot if it was possible? I am not implying every time you hunt. Just certain circumstances when you would have rather not killed the fish right away.
I'm just trying to get a feel for the majority opinion and or experiences. Thank you
spearo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Slingingsteel

Re: Question about live capture of fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearo75 View Post
I have a question for all you spearos. Would any of you ever feel the need to spear a fish alive? What I mean is, using your current spearfishing equipment would you capture a fish alive rather than kill it with ur shot if it was possible? I am not implying every time you hunt. Just certain circumstances when you would have rather not killed the fish right away.
I'm just trying to get a feel for the majority opinion and or experiences. Thank you
whats the point of this??
Slingingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
woodshooter

how would you do a live capture (meaning no injury in the least) of dinner with your current speargun? or am i reading your post wrong?
woodshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
spearo75
Nowhere near the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshooter View Post
how would you do a live capture (meaning no injury in the least) of dinner with your current speargun? or am i reading your post wrong?
No your reading it fine. I have a few ideas, but I am not sure if anyone would be interested in the concept.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
woodshooter

well spit it out mang
woodshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
spearo75
Nowhere near the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingingsteel View Post
whats the point of this??
The idea, for me came, when i first visited the keys when i was younger and only having knowlege of mexican waters i was unsure of types of fish, size of fish to take and i did not want kill anything that was not legal. Also when I swim around for hours with dead fish on my hip i figure i am asking for a visit from predators. I love to spear fish I was just thinking of a new approach to the sport.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
smilinmatt
Matt Brueckner

As far as knowing what's legal or not, you really need to figure that out before you jump in the water - there's just no way around that one.

I've dove with a lot of sharks on both coasts of Florida and the Keys, I can tell you from experience that you'll have FAR fewer problems with a dead fish hanging off you than a live fish thrashing around on you. Sharks might smell the blood, but they'll zero in on the vibrations.
smilinmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
MidwestSpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinmatt View Post
as far as knowing what's legal or not, you really need to figure that out before you jump in the water - there's just no way around that one.

I've dove with a lot of sharks on both coasts of florida and the keys, i can tell you from experience that you'll have far fewer problems with a dead fish hanging off you than a live fish thrashing around on you. Sharks might smell the blood, but they'll zero in on the vibrations.
+1
MidwestSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Smash
Monterey Bay Triton

I may be wrong, but I think in California is against the law to take live fish home. I think you need a special permit to have live game fish is possession. It seems like a silly law but this is California.

VP, Monterey Bay Tritons
Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Capytan
So far from salt...

Kind of like a this ++++ this on the tip of this ==== Letting the fish go later in the day after pictures?
Capytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #11
ribonzz

it is impossible if you want to make the fish stays no scar or what after you scar him. come on, spear, for eat !
ribonzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:27 AM   #12
chasintail
Hell Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribonzz View Post
it is impossible if you want to make the fish stays no scar or what after you scar him. come on, spear, for eat !

What???
Put the bong down.
chasintail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:46 AM   #13
chasintail
Hell Diver

Back the question. I normally freedive down to about 180 feet butt naked and shake my mega dong at the 100plus pound fish that surround me.. They mistake my thunder cock to be a mutant,one eyed,albino,conga eel and move in for a closer look.Then I a make a huge,thunderous, Sonic chili cheese coney fart to knock them unconscious from the explosion.After that I swim em up and put em my 55 thousand gallon bait well.
chasintail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
spearo75
Nowhere near the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasintail View Post
Back the question. I normally freedive down to about 180 feet butt naked and shake my mega dong at the 100plus pound fish that surround me.. They mistake my thunder cock to be a mutant,one eyed,albino,conga eel and move in for a closer look.Then I a make a huge,thunderous, Sonic chili cheese coney fart to knock them unconscious from the explosion.After that I swim em up and put em my 55 thousand gallon bait well.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
no excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasintail View Post

come on its only a 50 thousand gallon bait well, dont stretch the truth, sheesh
no excuses is offline   Reply With Quote