Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 08-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
aggiespearo

Can someone explain bad ears for me?

I can equalize just fine most of the time, but every once in a while, I can't go more than 10 feet without bad pain when i try to equalize.

What causes this? I'm guessing its from some sort of temporary allergy or ENT infection.

Is there any way to dry my ears out with a pill or something before a spearing trip?
aggiespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
stexasfreediver

Re: Can someone explain bad ears for me?

I have seasonal allergies and usually dose up on Flonase during good weather windows to combat sinus issues. If there is ANY swelling or inflammation in sinus cavity you will feel some major discomfort..and difficulty equalizing.

Also if you haven't already taken a freediving course I'd highly suggest you do so. I just took mine in July and after 10 years of diving I realized I wasn't equalizing anywhere near as much as needed on descent.

Hope this helps.
stexasfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #3
jfjf

Re: Can someone explain bad ears for me?

Some advice: Your ears are delicate. you must treat them gently or you will injure them, make things worse and you won't be able to dive. Not to mention the potential for hearing loss and other significant problems..

So you should never feel significant pain. Any pain is a major warning sign and means you need to stop. These tissues are delicate, you can't just power through some pain like a sore leg muscle when swimming.

Another easy, cheap and potentially effective thing is to use sugarless menthol cough drops for a 1/2 hour before the dive and on surface intervals.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote