Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #1
apeogre

New Hunt Shaft w/ built in Slip tip

I haven't seen these discussed here before. I was checking out Hunts website looking for bits for upcoming gun builds and saw they now make a shaft w/ the slip tip built in, there not fin to toggle, it toggles off of pressure. Looks pretty sweet! Thoughts?

There's a photo of the gun with the shaft barely extending past the tip of the gun. Seems cool

http://www.huntechnology.it/en/astaspring_b.aspx
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: New Hunt Shaft w/ built in Slip tip

You don't want a bit of sand or grit in there as the tip might go in and then pull straight out without deploying. OK maybe if you keep it clean, the friction element is a side-mounted ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunt slip tip no barb.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	241558  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
Behslayer

That thing is RAD.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Mana'squal

Yeah, i want that.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
popgun pete

Until the WTF moment when the shaft pulls straight out with the tip still on it! Not for nothing do spear tips have reverse angle surfaces to hook on the meat and drag the tip off the shaft. The ball nose ended carriers are to reduce jamming as the tips sits on a contact circle, very narrow and self-aligns the tip with pressure from the water flow during the shot, but pulls off relatively easily with a hit as the shaft withdraws. Another option is a slightly conical head, or wedge shape, the point goes in but the meat encircles behind it and the tip should then pull off.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
Behslayer

I don't really understand how the tip is held in place.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:42 PM   #7
popgun pete

It has a sprung loaded ball like those used on socket head spanner sets, the ball moves inwards and keeps the socket in place on the square drive handles, ratchets and extension bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunt slip tip no barb detail.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	241569  
Old 02-07-2019, 01:10 AM   #8
spearq8

This slip tip has been around for quite some time, but several people that tried say it doesn't work so good. I can't remember what the reason was but it was enough for me to skip it. It does look like it would shoot very accurately.

There is a new slip tip shaft from Hunt, but I don't see it in their website. It has a welded tube on the shaft which I know is very very accurate. I tried a few of the first beta versions and the weld had the tip warp and was shooting very inaccurately. This was 2 years ago and I was told they had fixed the welding problem and that now it shoots accurately. Would really like to test that out.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
Tunaking

From what I read and see it seems that there is a spring in the tip itself. You push it on and rotate to lock it on. When it hits the pressure pushes the tip back and rotates it to unlock it and the spring pushes the tip off.
Tunaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
Behslayer

Ahh sounding more and more complicated.. and complicated and slip tips is rarely good. I do like the use of the Line Recesses and the Splice as the Knot and the profile. Interesting pieces to the puzzle.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
apeogre

Yeah, bad shot, a piece of scale or bone may cause it to not release. Maybe a super weak magnet instead of a spring would be better?
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #12
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
This slip tip has been around for quite some time, but several people that tried say it doesn't work so good. I can't remember what the reason was but it was enough for me to skip it. It does look like it would shoot very accurately.

There is a new slip tip shaft from Hunt, but I don't see it in their website. It has a welded tube on the shaft which I know is very very accurate. I tried a few of the first beta versions and the weld had the tip warp and was shooting very inaccurately. This was 2 years ago and I was told they had fixed the welding problem and that now it shoots accurately. Would really like to test that out.
I have one from a few years back from Hunt with the welded tube. Very accurate but the tip walls were made too thin where it sits on the shaft and when the tip impacts hard, like bone or a big fish, the tip gets jammed on the shaft and won't come off. I lost a nice yellowfin tuna with that shaft. Never used it again. $110 down the drain.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #13
popgun pete

The problem of slip tips not deploying through being jammed has often been their undoing and there are very few ways to keep the point on axis with the shaft. Cone connections or Morse tapers can jam, although theoretically once any section parts everything comes apart. Sitting the tip on two different diameters over a non-contact spacing has been tried, this stops the tip rocking, but it still can jam although only a narrow metal to metal contact band in each case. Flat plate type tips sitting in a slot were more common years ago, but the slots are a weak point and can spread making the tip come loose. The real problem is if the tip can come off very easily then it may fall off prematurely or not sit straight on the shaft where it will then steer the shot.

Maintenance and regularly pulling the slip tip off to check it is the only answer and personally I cannot see them performing reliably without some type of rearward barb to dislodge the tip after penetrating the fish and the shaft being pulled back.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:42 PM   #14
Sanny

this is not about the hunt tip, but another slip tip style design. its called the Side Slip by Kimera. have any of you bought one or have any thoughts on it? https://www.kimeraspearfishing.com/
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #15
R/M_Spearo

Danny, I
The kimera slip tip is great its solid for reef hunting and web hunting. I've converted two of my shafts 1 5/16 and a 9/32 .its a process to tap in the tod that holds the sliptup after that it's a breeze though indo recommend it. It's simple and effective with out the addition of the threaded shaft.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
R/M_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote