Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2009 Tournament Archives > 2009 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 16-17

2009 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 16-17 Here is the Classic Spearboard Open Tournament on the west coast of Florida

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
2009 Spear Wars Blue Storm Classic Results

SBO Blue Storm Classic Winners

That was an incredible tournament! It was a tough day on the water with reports of rough seas and low visibility in some areas. Some great fish were still brought to the weigh-in line.

Congratulations to everyone who participated!

The next tournament in Palm Beach County on July 25 & 26 should provide even more excitement given how close the standings are!

It was a very moving moment when Rob Murphy went up and selected his prize from the table.

The tournament title was won by 1 ounce, it just doesn't get any closer than that.

Now onto the results.

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION

Ben Bateman - 80.625 Aggregate Points
Jason Wilson - 80.5625
Mark Dewaine - 80.1875

BEST BOAT (Top 3 Shooters Count)

Dykoke - 68.75 Aggregate Average
Shark Tales - 65.85
Gunrunner 65.60

TOP FREEDIVER

Chad Palan – 79.1875 Aggregate Points
Julian Cruz - 60.75
Matthew Brueckner 45.8125

TOP FEMALE SHOOTER

Laura Rogers - 53.3125 Aggregate Points
Lisa Rollins - 41.0625
Jen Young - 29.125

TOP JUNIOR

Matthew Rainey – 35.625 Aggregate Points
Samuel Renfro - 20.00

BIGGEST GROUPER

Frank McCallister – 39.3125 Gutted Weight
Cory Philips - 38.1875
Louis Devaleix - 36.3125

BIGGEST SNAPPER

Chad Palan – 47.1875 Gutted Weight
Alexander Uzaga - 11.875
Jonathan Bailey - 10.3125

BIGGEST HOGFISH

Kevin Eaves – 13.625 Gutted Weight
Randy Docks - 11.8125
John Biggs - 10.875

BIGGEST SHEEPSHEAD OR TIGGERFISH

Will Carpenella – 8.625 Gutted Weight
John Ippolito - 7.8125
John Dickinson - 6.625

BIGGEST AMBERJACK

Chad Palan – 69.5625 Gutted Weight
Jose Santeiro - 55.8125
Jonathan Bailey - 51.375

Here is the list of all of the aggregate winners standings. It should prove to be an interesting battle over the series. See you at the Palm Beach Open.

Last edited by biggsy; 10-27-2009 at 03:06 PM.
biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Arrow Re: 2009 Spear Wars Blue Storm Classic Results

That was fast John! Almost immediate results are a blessing.

The SBO Classic tournament event went very smoothly this year I thought.

The most moving moment for me was the standing ovation everyone gave to Rob Murphy (Headhunter561) when his name was called for his trip to the prize wall. That was an incredible achievement Rob for you to return to action so quickly. You are our hero!

When you factor in those registrations we discussed that were missing forms and payments, we had over 130 shooters registered and over 90 weigh in fish. That is pretty good considering weather issues in certain areas, high fuel costs and the down economy.

I think the second and third legs (PBO and KLO) will be much bigger this year after their debuts last year.

I will try to get the SBO Classic photos Len (Gradyman) took up tonight.

Thanks for being such a great weighmaster!

Way to go WINNERS!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996

Last edited by SpearMax; 05-18-2009 at 10:52 AM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
nailman
Sponsor

Re: 2009 Spear Wars Blue Storm Classic Results

Great job with the weighin John. Cooler off the truck and weighed in about 10 minutes. Thanks to all the volunteers that helped pull this event off. Food was great and everything ran smoothly !

Thanks Tony !

Warning: If it is not spearfishing related and positive in nature then keep your stupid ass away from my threads!
nailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
headhunter561
Rob

Seriously. Great job Tony John Scott and all the volunteers on running a great tourney with a quick smooth weigh in process. thanks to all the sponsors as well for some great prizes. My Mako toolkit is awesome!!!

Last edited by headhunter561; 05-18-2009 at 10:51 AM.
headhunter561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
PrincessSlaya!
Just Simply Laura

Great experience, ran very smooth, quick weigh in. Great volunteers and fantastic people all over the place! "Great Job!"

A champion is someone who gets up, even when he can't.

I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok. They know me here.

http://www.koahspearguns.com/
PrincessSlaya! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
diverlb

Thanks to everyone involved with the tournament! It was my first one and I had alot of fun. Looking forward to next year!
diverlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
#1 shaft

THANX BIGGSY! Well ran show good fun.
#1 shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy

The tournament could not be put on without the help of so many people.

The guys who were slingin' the fish and making sure it ran smoothly deserve a lot of credit. You guys made it a seamless operation.

Randy Docks, Carl Pyatt, Justin Moraine, Mark Dewaine, Joe Scozzafaua, TJ Muller, Jim Brennan, Chiung Tien and Michael McKenney.

Thanks to Scott Hurley, his GF and my wife Estelle for making sure the scores were input correctly from the weigh masters.

Thanks to Frank McCallister for fine tuning the database.

Thanks to Matt Miller IT guy who made sure all of the computers were working properly.

Thanks to Alecha and Dee Graham for handing out all of the t-shirts and meal tickets and making sure the registrations ran smoothly.

Thanks to Bill Black from Force-E Dive Center for doing another fantastic job with being the emcee.

Thanks to Len Pepe for shooting all of the photos.

Thanks to Dave Graham for running around like a mad man getting the big fish in the big fish displays and making sure the beer was flowing from the beer trailer. There is so much you do behind the scenes and you are true asset to this endeavor.

I am sure there are some people I am missing and it's only because I never caught your name, but I know there were several people helping put out the prizes.

Thanks once again to all of the sponsors, who without them, none of this would be possible. The tournament relies heavily on donated items and once again the wealth of prizes donated to not only this tournament, but the entire series and the prizes at the the end of the year reflect the generosity of all of the manufacturers, individuals and dive shops alike. Your continued support is greatly appreciated.

A big attaboy needs to be thrown Tony's way, who devotes so much time, energy and monies to this series and promoting the sport up and down the coasts of Florida. Nice work again Tony and I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

Last edited by biggsy; 05-18-2009 at 12:35 PM.
biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Petra
Livin' the life!

Send a message via AIM to Petra

Thanks for an awesome tournament! Just last week I was whining about needing new fins and yesterday I won a pair of Beuchats!

Thank you to everyone who put in the effort for a wonderful event!

--
Follow my adventures!
oceanloveher.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

Passionate. Unconventional. Independent.
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz

Well said, John!! Tony, having gotten involved with the tourneys recently, I have really begun to see how tirelessly you work towards these events. Spending the entire day setting up at the pavilion, hauling ass across the state Friday, and not shooting in your own tournament, shows your endless dedication to us and the promotion of our sport!! My hats off to you, thanx again SOOO much for putting on a great event, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series...
Old 05-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
jfjf

There is also the solicitation of sponsors for the prizes, the collection of the prizes, the data processing of entry forms, liability waivers and processing of credit card charges and personal checks and handling all the multitude of snafu’s that go along with that (including a bunch of people who sign up at the last minute due to weather concerns.)

There is also the scheduling of the venue, the purchase of liability insurance, arrangements for catering service, beer truck, soft beverages, extra ice, booking of a DJ, photographer(s) and emcee, the renting of tents & bounce house and extra display tables. And at the same time, he needs to be making posts and promoting the tournament itself on SB and trying to keep sponsors happy that they are getting good exposure for their generous contributions. He also has to organize a telephone solicitation campaign which personally notifies each of the previous year’s participants about the upcoming tournament (and don’t forget the mailing of a registration package to each of these people as well).

Don’t forget about getting the artwork finalized for the t-shirts, ordering the shirts, picking them up, and then filling orders for them as well as selling T-shirts at the venue itself (and mailing other shirts out for people who couldn’t make it that day). There is also the scheduling of all the volunteers who work super hard, making sure the scoring software works, as well as the computers, fans, printers, power cords, expensive electronic scales and fish display tables and grid wall display are all transported, set up and working on game day. Also, he has to design and pick up and buy the trophies.

There is also the expense of storing, on an annual basis, all this equipment and of course transporting it across the state in a large trailer purchased specifically to facilitate the “traveling show”. Did I forget something Tony?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
Gradyman
Man on a Mission...

Well done all around Tony & crew...looking forward to July!
Great to see everyone who was there!

If you lose your wealth you've lost nothing, if you lose your health you've lost something, if you lose your integrity you've lost everything.

When there is nothing left but God,you find out that God is all you need.

Our thoughts become words...words become actions...actions become habits...habits become character and it becomes our destiny.
Gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
BIG WOOD25
Dive, Spear, Drink Beer..

John, it was an awesome experience shooting with you and Randy. Weigh in was great! I'm down to sling some fish here on out again at the weigh ins if needed. Thanks for being on our team "THIS IS IT III" !!! I'm coming for you next tournament so watch out, it's on......
BIG WOOD25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
matt888
Matt Rey

Hell of a production Tony and others put on! Really enjoyed ourselves at our first SBO and it was awesome to see so much freediving gear there. That Cubera was

Looking forward to July...

Old 05-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
willembad
Spearo in training

Have to agree, my first tourney and I had a great time. Thanks for all the hard work from everyone.

Willem
willembad is offline   Reply With Quote