Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
lionHunter

Exclamation What fish are edible that i can spearfish in reefs.

I have a card that i take with me on most trips that shows me all reef fishes. If you can name all fish that i can spear, cook, and eat that would be delicious that would be good. I live in South Florida. I live in pembroke pines. If you do that i will make a page with all the fishes and ill add pictures, than print it out, than laminate it to take with me, or memorize. i know lion fish is very delicious also lobster and hogfish. what else that would be helpful. thank you. also the legal size and bag limit.

peace out fun diving and good eating
lionHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
AndrewK

Re: What fish are edible that i can spearfish in reefs.

http://myfwc.com/media/1782360/2012J...gskingedit.pdf

Everything you need to know... if you dont know what the fish look like google their name.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Eraygunz

Go to sports authority ,or ace hardware,even walmart. Get the newest Florida fishing guide book .it is free from the state. In the center it tells you all the fish and their size limits and bag limits and stuff. Wal mart will have a good book called something like Florida game fish or fish of the gulf of Mexico. It has decent pictures and tells where to find them and even a guide to which are good to eat. South Florida has lots of different fish on the reefs. Learn what they are so you don't get in trouble for shooting the wrong ones.
Good luck
Shoot straight
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
lionHunter

ok, well both have been a big help. Ill upload a couple of fishes that i am going to hunt. some of the fishes in my cards are not in the FWC so i had to make an estimate of size minimum and bag limit. also for snapper i just put three snappers together and just wrote 16 in.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
lionHunter

I am going to laminate this and take it with me underwater. I might expand and make another page or two in a week or so
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-02-01 at 3.16.54 AM.jpg
Views:	2348
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	167248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-02-01 at 3.17.08 AM.jpg
Views:	3689
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	167249  
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
killer-mermaid

One of the best tasting fish you'll find around south florida is the hogfish; plus it's a no brainer to identify them. Grouper is closed until May so they are off limits for now. You'll also find a variety of snappers, jacks, triggerfish & mackerel. Each have different size requirements which are listed on the FWC site that AKAPP posted. Most species of snapper are pretty tasty, Amberjacks are good for fish dip, Yellow Jacks & triggerfish are awesome. There is a book called Sport fish of Florida Atlantic at Bass Pro shops. It lists the food quality of all the fish you'll find around here so it's a good reference guide to ensure you're shooting fish that taste good.
killer-mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Joe.A
KayakFisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionHunter View Post
I am going to laminate this and take it with me underwater. I might expand and make another page or two in a week or so
That information is incorrect. You need to look over the state regulations.

http://myfwc.com/media/1782357/2012J...s_kingedit.pdf
Joe.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
AndrewK

Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Joe.A
KayakFisherman

yea I generally agree, I just don't want brilliance killing and eating all the ornamentals.

Last edited by Joe.A; 02-01-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Shark Byte
Indian Rocks Beach

really?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
lionHunter

No the thing is if i got the correct it would be 4 pages i will redo them and show the corrected ones. I went to the website and averaged size for snapper. I understand. I also researched about all of these fish and they are all edible, including the Spanish Hogfish. I probably won't got for the Spanish Hogfish but the rest are edible and I did my Research.Vermillion snapper is 20 in and for the grouper i kinda averaged all of the groupers in the FWC page. I will redo them and get the exact size for everything not one inch less. I will post it tonight.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
lionHunter

Next time i go to divers direct i will go to bass pro Shop and but the book
Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
AndrewK

you CANT spear -

Spanish hogfish
parrotfish
queen triggerfish

Get them off your list and fix your "as many as I want" listing on those cards. Any respectable spearfisherman will know before you even go in the water what your targeted fish look like and what you can and cant shoot.... and how big they are supposed to be. Also, dont get any ideas of spearing any lobster. if you plan on going after bugs get a gauge for measuring their shells, it costs a dollar for a plastic one. as far as vermillion snapper..... Good luck finding any of those within freediving depths.

You need to do alot more research before you hit the water and start blindly trying to kill every fish you see.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
lionHunter

listen im not spearing lobsters that i know. I have a tickle stick. plus i don't overdue anything. Also I am going to to redo the list and memorize it. Also i wont go Spearing until i established what i am looking for. Ive researched and they say that trigger fish, Parrot fish, and Spanish Hogfish. If so many people say that I can't well it simple enough I won't. Ive been only going after Lion fish and Hogfish but now i am going a bit deeper. Listen if you want me not to do anything wrong tell me which fish you think I should spear and the size. If you want add the seasons. I will make a brand new card and post it to make all of you happy. I don't go spearfishing just to massacre any fish. I go to get my own food and have a good day with friends. See thats why i posted this so i could learn. well thanks for the help guys now that I know i will knock the fish Akaap said i can't spear. Ill fix the open season on the cards. If you guys help me i will make a card that is just perfect. Im not really taking the card underwater I'm just memorizing it. I have a special ruler to take with me just to make sure. Thanks for the help
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
Joe.A
KayakFisherman

Akapp - stop feed the troll...LOL. You're dealing with a 14 year old home schooled kid that can barely type and is too f'in lazy to read the regs himself. If he won't read the regs he shouldn't be in the water. I'm sure FWC will explain the catch limits to him and help him updated his cards for a small fee.