Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
lakediver07

Back to Montana

After two years enjoying Cencal/Norcal, I am moving back to the home state of Montana. I will probably put in one dive on Flathead next week before calling it quits for winter. If there is anyone else in MT who wants to get out there for next spring/summer and get some freediving/spearing in, let me know!
Cheers,
Chance
lakediver07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #2
phil herranen

Re: Back to Montana

Maybe next summer . I was going to dive some of the lakes near cookie city when I was up last month ,but the wind was up and killed the vis ,then I lost all motivation when it started snowing . It would have been cool to shoot a couple macs

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
lakediver07

Phil, sorry for the delay, just been getting settled here after the move. Hit me up next time you are up here, I will be glad to have another spearfisher around. Would love to shoot a nice laker too.
Chance
Old 11-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Wyo_Spearo

What part of Montana? I didn't think you could spearfish on the west side of the state besides
Wyo_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:31 PM   #5
lakediver07

I figured he means jumping over the border into Wyoming right there. In my neck of the woods, its mostly off limits except for Pike on state land. It seems to me a rather grey area in that half of Flathead is in reservation-the reservation rules don't say you can't spear, but don't say you can either. Seems crazy they wouldn't be down for shooting a few lakers since they spend thousands each year for lake trout removal through hook and line comps. Wyoming is legal in some lakes yeah?
Old 11-23-2016, 11:33 PM   #6
lakediver07

I should clarify only a few lakes are legal for pike on the west side... Seeley and a few others
Old 01-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #7
Husker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakediver07 View Post
I figured he means jumping over the border into Wyoming right there. In my neck of the woods, its mostly off limits except for Pike on state land. It seems to me a rather grey area in that half of Flathead is in reservation-the reservation rules don't say you can't spear, but don't say you can either. Seems crazy they wouldn't be down for shooting a few lakers since they spend thousands each year for lake trout removal through hook and line comps. Wyoming is legal in some lakes yeah?
Wyoming is legal in pretty much all lakes. I do think there is a couple that's restricted but can't remember names off the top of my head. There's also no spearing rivers. Hope this helps
Old 02-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #8
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

Where did you move to? I just moved back to So Cal from Missoula, I miss it already! I put in a few dives with some locals after some pike but never even saw one. Hit up Stick 'Em and let him know you just moved there!
Old 02-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
Stick 'EM
Eat Em Raw

I'm still here Davis,
Hit me up again whenever you want.
Planning a spring road trip to the coast with the boat if you want in.
PM me if you need my number.
Mark
Old 02-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #10
lakediver07

Thanks for the heads up Davis, if you ever come back to the state let me know! I live around Flathead Lake, so I'll at least be able to do a lot of practice diving for the coast. Pike is over on the other side of the mountains in Seeley.
Mark, if you ever want a buddy, count me in!
Chance
Old 02-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
Stick 'EM
Eat Em Raw

You got it Chance.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #12
basecamp9890

Lake diver, I'm moving to flatheadvalley this week. Been spearing socal for 3 years now. You still looking for a Montana dive partner??? I'm certified and have plenty of gear.
basecamp9890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #13
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

What part of the Flathead Valley are you all living in?

I'm planning to move back up this spring and get a few acres in the south part of the lake and build a small house with a big shop, close to Finley Point is the goal. Definitely getting a small boat up and running once the shop/studio is built!

Needless to say, once I'm back up and running, lets get out for a dive!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #14
basecamp9890

I’m up in Bigfork about 20 minutes east of kalispell. Stoked to do some diving this summer .
basecamp9890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 PM   #15
lakediver07

Hey guys, believe it or not, I moved back to Central CA. I missed the ocean too much! Good luck up there, finley point was basically my back yard growing up there. Better bring a job, and a gf, because there are very few options for either unless you drive to Missoula!

Heading back up that way in a week to see family, I'll probably do some perch fishing on the S. side of Flathead if the ice holds. A word on spearing: I tried some diving last summer, but its pretty barren when you are used to the ocean. Might as well take up slalom or wakeboarding, and bring a pole with you lots of good hook and line!