Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 06-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
wiznut

New Spearo in Houston!

Hey all, just got approved for the board and wanted to introduce myself. I'm fairly new to the sport, but super pumped to do more of it. I've done a guided spear trip out of Cabo a couple of times and made it out to the near rigs in Galveston a few weeks back and played around with sheepshead. Had opportunities at cobia, but decided I wasn't comfortable dealing with a fish that size yet. I've got my PADI open water done and a number of dives under my belt, but I've just been freediving while spearfishing so far.

I currently own a flats boat and do quite a bit of inshore fishing, but I have a Yamaha 200 4 stroke sitting in my garage waiting to hang on the back of an off shore boat that I'm going to check out this weekend. Hopefully will have that boat put together in the next couple of weeks and will have a solid ride to make it out to the rigs in. Just need this wind to finally die down and I'm going to be all over it. I have a very flexible schedule and will probably be doing a lot of mid-week trips with extra room in the boat. Definitely interested in meeting up with some more experienced guys and learning more about the sport. I'd also be down on chipping in for fuel if anybody else has room on board.

wiznut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

Re: New Spearo in Houston!

Welcome

www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com

https://www.facebook.com/RigsReefClassic/

Salty Soul Taxidermy
https://www.facebook.com/saltysoultaxidermy/

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Call or Text me anytime 503-298-0592

HOLDFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
JDSapp

Welcome. You are sure to have a new obsession soon enough.
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
geofri
Ectothermic member

Welcome!

All my fishing poles are covered in dust. It's just not the same after discovering spearfishing.

I get together with a small circle of guys in the Houston area to train in pools/freshwater, and go spearing offshore as often as we can manage. We're always happy to include new folks who are interested in learning. Send me a PM if you'd like to meet up sometime.
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
wiznut

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
Welcome!

All my fishing poles are covered in dust. It's just not the same after discovering spearfishing.

I get together with a small circle of guys in the Houston area to train in pools/freshwater, and go spearing offshore as often as we can manage. We're always happy to include new folks who are interested in learning. Send me a PM if you'd like to meet up sometime.
Awesome, I'd definitely like to meet up! I'm on my way back from Baton Rouge right now toting my new war wagon. Will have it offshore ready soon!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
geofri
Ectothermic member

Congrats.. Just needs some blood on the deck now!
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
alejqandrocosmo
Alejandro

Welcome! What lart of Texas do you live at? I assume around the Houston area. Myself along with Andy(geofri) ^^ are good spearfishing buddies and we are always looking for more people to go out with/ train with. We are always happy to help with expenses and help clean the boat after. Let us know if you are ever down for a drink and we can plan out the next trip over a beer or some good Mexican food or just talk spearfishing for a bit.

Welcome again!
Alejandro
alejqandrocosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
jwhit88
March YT Madness

Send a message via AIM to jwhit88

Welcome, I haven't dove since moving to Galveston in January and am dying to shoot some fish. I've been fishing the bay and surf a lot and it's been really good. If you ever wanna fish or get something together to go offshore give me a ring. I'll PM you my number. The photo is my first bull red from a few weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st redfish.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	233832  
jwhit88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:39 AM   #9
wiznut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejqandrocosmo View Post
Welcome! What lart of Texas do you live at? I assume around the Houston area. Myself along with Andy(geofri) ^^ are good spearfishing buddies and we are always looking for more people to go out with/ train with. We are always happy to help with expenses and help clean the boat after. Let us know if you are ever down for a drink and we can plan out the next trip over a beer or some good Mexican food or just talk spearfishing for a bit.

Welcome again!
Alejandro
Awesome, I will for sure hit you up when I get closer to being water ready with the new rig. I got a bit of a setback with the new hull this week. I found a soft spot on the spash well, and after cutting it out to replace, I found water trapped in the sealed bulkheads..... I now have the entire floor cut out of the boat and have to do a rebuild that I wasn't planning on when I bought it. Once I got the floor cut out, I also found the fuel tank is in need of replacement as well! Thankfully one of my fishing partners knows how to do the fiberglass work, and I can TIG up a new aluminum tank, so I'm not out much money, just a lot of time and work.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
Kraken
I am the sea

welcome and congrats on the boat! Im going to shoot you a PM.

Spearheads Spearfishing Episodes!
http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #11
thegoodfoot

Welcome wiznut,

With that new boat you are sure to make friends quickly around here.

Will be going from San Diego to Alaska over the next four months to do some kayak spearfishing but would love to get out on the water once back.

Take care!
Old 06-17-2017, 12:05 AM   #12
alejqandrocosmo
Alejandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiznut View Post
Awesome, I will for sure hit you up when I get closer to being water ready with the new rig. I got a bit of a setback with the new hull this week. I found a soft spot on the spash well, and after cutting it out to replace, I found water trapped in the sealed bulkheads..... I now have the entire floor cut out of the boat and have to do a rebuild that I wasn't planning on when I bought it. Once I got the floor cut out, I also found the fuel tank is in need of replacement as well! Thankfully one of my fishing partners knows how to do the fiberglass work, and I can TIG up a new aluminum tank, so I'm not out much money, just a lot of time and work.
Sure thing. Good luck getting it done!
alejqandrocosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:37 AM   #13
wiznut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejqandrocosmo View Post
Sure thing. Good luck getting it done!
Thanks, it's coming along. I decided to just repair the tank that I had since the bottom was still in great shape, so I cut the old top off and welded a new one on. Pressure tested fine, so it'll be back in the boat and floor going back on this week if all goes well. After that, it shouldn't take but a couple days to finish the rigging out. I'm hoping for a 2 week splash.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #14
scuba201

Hi Wiznut, new here too. Can you spear fish Cobia?
scuba201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:37 AM   #15
wiznut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba201 View Post
Hi Wiznut, new here too. Can you spear fish Cobia?
Don't quote me, but as long as you're in federal waters you can if I understand correctly.

Everything takes longer than I hope. Still haven't gotten the new boat offshore, but it's getting close. Couple of gremlins to fix after the first two water tests on Conroe. Waiting to get it back from the shop now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk