Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Agador
Argonaut

Question Upper bay (Providence Harbor)

Hello fellas,

I'm just curious about possible dive in Providence Harbor. Have somebody any experience with this place? I now it's ugly and dirty, however I asking about possible visibility. I saw a lot of wrecks in "Green Jacket Shoal" - interesting to explore it. I had been dive in Blackstone Park area two years ago, viz was sucks, however it was September.
Do I have any chance, or it's a stupid idea?

Thx!
Agador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
cboneill37
Scoup

Re: Upper bay (Providence Harbor)

That's some dirty water, brotha. Be weary
Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
xrispearo
you cant see mee

april showers brings the shit viz. If you didn't like diving in blackstone in September you wont like it now in the Prov river
Old 04-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
spearoscott

I live right there and think about it every year. You can find vis, that's not the real problem. The vis will only be good in a spot here or there but you wont find anything in those clean areas.

The real problem is the high bacteria. You have 2 major sewer plants. Thats shit sewer , not road run off. They are watchamoket cove EP (upper prov. river ), and down town Riverside just north of sabins point. Also you should note that the providence river bounderies are north of the line from kinimikut light to the old light house house on Nayatt point barrington. Nothing north of this line is safe for swimming or shellfish, ever.

No doubt you stand a chance of running into bass right now in Providence , but is it worth a stay in the hospital ??

Also anyone thinking of diving upper half of the bay should know that there is the largest shellfish closure right now that we have had since the big flood a few years back. They have closed spots as far south as greenwhich bay, area B which includes all of north side of prudence, mt hope, Area A (providence river line) , Barrington and Bristol.

I would dive block only.
spearoscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
Agador
Argonaut

Thanks for input, guys! I will figure out this info.
Agador is offline   Reply With Quote