Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
R.Boonfield

Weed lines?

Wondering if anyone has experience hunting under weed lines in the gulf in relatively shallow water (60 or shallower)? What might one expect to find?
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
srqfisherman
Chris Olson

Re: Weed lines?

Triple Tail would be the main target, but just make sure you're in federal waters before you shoot one.
srqfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

I don't think that many people on here spearfish the Jacksonville area...hence the lack of responses.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
Bloodygaffsboi

I like carrying a offshore rod just to drop a livey below the weed line. The triple tail will always stick to the surface but a lot of dolphin stalk beneath. If you find a massive one that looks super fishy, just start chumming. There’s bound to be something around.
Bloodygaffsboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
redrumintl
Dive.Fish.Surf.Live

^^ yea what he said. Find a good one and jump in awayfrom it then swim up to it, you can see what's around.

Red Rum International
(727) 599-3181
redrumclothingintl@gmail.com
www.redrumintl.com
Facebook & Youtube
Instagram & Twitter
redrumintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
R.Boonfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I don't think that many people on here spearfish the Jacksonville area...hence the lack of responses.
Yeah I don't either. I freedive in the gulf so I was asking with respect to the gulf.
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
spearocaleb22

early this July i found a weedline that was worth checking out. im in the northern gulf out of wakulla. Jumped in and had two schools of mahi come up to me. when i jumped out i checked the depth and it was 65
spearocaleb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearocaleb22 View Post
early this July i found a weedline that was worth checking out. im in the northern gulf out of wakulla. Jumped in and had two schools of mahi come up to me. when i jumped out i checked the depth and it was 65
How many miles out is 65' there? Were there any nice sized ones? I've caught plenty of chickens under the weed lines. Even caught some in about 60' (~20 miles). Catching is much more productive than diving for the chickens, if they're biting that is.
Triple tail love the weed lines. When they were legal to take in Fed waters, I jumped in and shot a nice sized one out of a school, put 'em on the stringer and looked for another. The school had disappeared. My friends down wind on a very non-maneuverable live aboard were yelling something at me, but I couldn't hear them.
I got back to the boat and they said that after I'd shot that one, the rest jump up top of the weed line and laid sideways. After I left, they put their nose down and got back in the water. Cheeky bastards.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 01-04-2018, 11:32 PM   #9
HARVESTER

Quote:
How many miles out is 65' there? Were there any nice sized ones? I've caught plenty of chickens under the weed lines. Even caught some in about 60' (~20 miles). Catching is much more productive than diving for the chickens, if they're biting that is.
Triple tail love the weed lines. When they were legal to take in Fed waters, I jumped in and shot a nice sized one out of a school, put 'em on the stringer and looked for another. The school had disappeared. My friends down wind on a very non-maneuverable live aboard were yelling something at me, but I couldn't hear them.
I got back to the boat and they said that after I'd shot that one, the rest jump up top of the weed line and laid sideways. After I left, they put their nose down and got back in the water. Cheeky bastards.
Funny. Easiest fish I ever caught cause it jumped in a trash bucket to hide. Just picked up the bucket.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #10
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARVESTER View Post
Funny. Easiest fish I ever caught cause it jumped in a trash bucket to hide. Just picked up the bucket.
Absolutely. I didn't imply they were hard to shoot...until they disappeared.

DAMN tasty buggers! Whiter than Hog, IMO.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
HARVESTER

Quote:
Absolutely. I didn't imply they were hard to shoot...until they disappeared.

DAMN tasty buggers! Whiter than Hog, IMO.
Found a pallet once, loaded with them. They did the same thing (jumped on top to hide). Great tactic for sharks I guess.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #12
OWS

One day I jumped in next to a big weedline to shoot some triple tail only to see a huge school of sharks underneath!
OWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
spearocaleb22

never seen triple tail there. never looked though and i was about 25' out
spearocaleb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #14
HurricaneBK

Best trick I've found for working weedlines here in South Florida and the Keys is to toss out a jig and hook up with one of the small jacks hanging around it. Reel it in quick across the surface, cast it back out if you can or just let it thrash around a bit on the surface creating a commotion. Anything that's near by will see that and come to investigate. Triple tails are on par with hogfish and red grouper in terms of intelligence, if they're there they'll swim right up to you, if you spook them they'll just go right back to the structure.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote