Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
nivekerotavlas

Looking for new dive friend/mentors Sarasota FL

So for the sake of introducing myself, My name is Kevin and I am 25 years old living in Sarasota. I have about two years into the sport and I have mostly been freediving relatively shallow shore dives 5-20ft off of then north and south end of Point of Rocks off Siesta Key and some docks on the north end of the island. I have taken about 2 dozen Sheepshead with a pole spear, my nemrod 24 inch and my mares viper pro 35 inch. I have not dove any of the other shore dives(New Pass, Big Pass, Sarasota Bay etc) but I am curious to dive these spots. I have all the necessary gear(wetsuit, mask, mares fins, weights, go pro etc etc..) besides scuba, However in the next few months I am looking to up my game and get into scuba spearing because I hear that's where all the best visibility and spearing is at.

The only thing I am lacking is my own boat, Scuba(see above) and the most important thing, COMPETENT dive buddies. For the most part I've been diving alone(which I know is a no go) I have met other people with pole spears that frequent the shallows of Point of Rocks that do take fish, but have no understanding or care for the law, no desire to advance in the sport. I am posting this because I am looking for people in the Sarasota Area who know the area dive-wise and can show me the ins and outs of the area and hopefully eventually more inshore spots and the reefs offshore, and actually frequently go spearfishing and are willing to dive with a relatively new diver. I'm off every other weekend and every Sunday and I'm willing to make friends. I want to become a better diver and frankly diving by myself and with BRAND NEW Divers(no offense) isn't helping me become better or more knowledgeable. I understand everyone needs to learn and that's why I'm here. Looking for good, reliable dive friends! Any pointers will be graciously accepted.

Will message my phone number to anyone who wants it and wants to dive.
nivekerotavlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
CuzzA

Re: Looking for new dive friend/mentors Sarasota FL

Welcome to the board. I was in your shoes a few years ago and through this board I've made a bunch of new friends and hope to continue to make more once my boat is built.

I was happy to find guys willing to take the new guy out and so I hope others in your area will get you out on some trips.

Good luck.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Looking for new dive friend/mentors Sarasota FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivekerotavlas View Post
So for the sake of introducing myself, My name is Kevin and I am 25 years old living in Sarasota. I have about two years into the sport and I have mostly been freediving relatively shallow shore dives 5-20ft off of then north and south end of Point of Rocks off Siesta Key and some docks on the north end of the island. I have taken about 2 dozen Sheepshead with a pole spear, my nemrod 24 inch and my mares viper pro 35 inch. I have not dove any of the other shore dives(New Pass, Big Pass, Sarasota Bay etc) but I am curious to dive these spots. I have all the necessary gear(wetsuit, mask, mares fins, weights, go pro etc etc..) besides scuba, However in the next few months I am looking to up my game and get into scuba spearing because I hear that's where all the best visibility and spearing is at.

The only thing I am lacking is my own boat, Scuba(see above) and the most important thing, COMPETENT dive buddies. For the most part I've been diving alone(which I know is a no go) I have met other people with pole spears that frequent the shallows of Point of Rocks that do take fish, but have no understanding or care for the law, no desire to advance in the sport. I am posting this because I am looking for people in the Sarasota Area who know the area dive-wise and can show me the ins and outs of the area and hopefully eventually more inshore spots and the reefs offshore, and actually frequently go spearfishing and are willing to dive with a relatively new diver. I'm off every other weekend and every Sunday and I'm willing to make friends. I want to become a better diver and frankly diving by myself and with BRAND NEW Divers(no offense) isn't helping me become better or more knowledgeable. I understand everyone needs to learn and that's why I'm here. Looking for good, reliable dive friends! Any pointers will be graciously accepted.

Will message my phone number to anyone who wants it and wants to dive.
Welcome. You'll find what you need by joining the Suncoast Underwater Club (SUC). They are the right fit for your area and can guide you to what you desire.