Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 05-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
Miami5051

Who went out for Hogfish, any thoughts???

With all the bad weather finally made it out for the first time since opening of Hogfish. I know the season is relatively new, but is anyone seeing bigger fish at this point. I'm in islamorada and hadn't seen fish worth shooting in years. First day in the water shot a beautiful fish in 35'. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm all for limited numbers and increasing size limits if it produces bigger fish. In a couple years wouldn't mind if they raised the minimum size limit at least 18", thoughts?
Miami5051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
kwyoungspear

Re: Who went out for Hogfish, any thoughts???

I was more excited for Grouper opening..
Old 05-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Crazy to think a long time ago you could limit on hogs with a pole spear in less than an hour. Now to have it come to this is a sad state of affairs. I hope that the population rebounds and that its managed for its longevity and health. Sounds like its headed in the right direction.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
HurricaneBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherflesh View Post
Crazy to think a long time ago you could limit on hogs with a pole spear in less than an hour. Now to have it come to this is a sad state of affairs. I hope that the population rebounds and that its managed for its longevity and health. Sounds like its headed in the right direction.
You could pretty reliably get a limit of hogs on patch reefs off Miami in an hour last year, trouble is they would have been 12-14" fish.

Hopefully we see more and larger fish in the coming years, there are some nice hogfish out there, just takes putting in the time in the water to find them. Black grouper have certainly made a comeback in this area and I'm hopeful hogfish will too.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:07 AM   #5
SporaScrub

I tried finding the article and I can't find it but this was the most interesting part.

In remote areas of the Caribbean where there isn't much fishing pressure, Hogfish reach sexual maturity at around 16". Meaning you won't see a male Hogfish anywhere that's under 16".

Here, both Miami and the keys you see a ton of 12" male hogs because they have adapted to mature quickly before there killed. They barely have a chance to reproduce once in there life.

I feel as though they should also raise the size limit for black grouper. They don't sexually mature till around 28". You can tell how there body shape changes. A 24" black is slim like a Mangrove, once they reach sexual maturity there head is wider than the rest of there body.
SporaScrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
triponempa
internet troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporaScrub View Post
I tried finding the article and I can't find it but this was the most interesting part.

I feel as though they should also raise the size limit for black grouper. They don't sexually mature till around 28". You can tell how there body shape changes. A 24" black is slim like a Mangrove, once they reach sexual maturity there head is wider than the rest of there body.
with all due respect - keep that shit to yourself! if they take away black grouper too - the keys wont be worth living in - to dive anymore. Keep the enviro nuts off the subject of black grouper please!
triponempa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #7
SporaScrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by triponempa View Post
with all due respect - keep that shit to yourself! if they take away black grouper too - the keys wont be worth living in - to dive anymore. Keep the enviro nuts off the subject of black grouper please!
Who said anything about "taking away black grouper too"?

I said raising the legal size limit to 28"

With all due respect, if you can't shoot black groupers in the keys over 28" then you just suck at spearfishing.
SporaScrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Hogfish size limit was increased not long ago, for good reason IMO. Anything below 15" is a waste.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
HurricaneBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporaScrub View Post

In remote areas of the Caribbean where there isn't much fishing pressure, Hogfish reach sexual maturity at around 16". Meaning you won't see a male Hogfish anywhere that's under 16".

Here, both Miami and the keys you see a ton of 12" male hogs because they have adapted to mature quickly before there killed. They barely have a chance to reproduce once in there life.

Hogfish are somewhat unique in this regard. Many other fish are the other way around with females being the larger of the species which is why we see slot limits for fish like snook allowing larger females to survive and breed because they are capable of producing exponentially more eggs. Same for grouper I believe although they change sex throughout their life. Also interesting with hogfish is that they form harems with a single male shepherding a group of females. When you spear the male, one of those females will then become a male - and this can happen when they're still quite small.

Black grouper limits are already fairly tight at 1 per person, I know there are days when I dive here in Miami in the winter when the season is closed and see lots of legal black sized black grouper some even over 30lbs, something I never saw before the regulation changes. Of course come May 1st theyre all off to deeper water to hide
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #10
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

I am happy with the new regs. I've shot nice ones each of the 3 times ive been out. largest was 7lbs.

Last edited by SEA_ARCHER; 05-16-2018 at 12:38 PM.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
steve-oh
Treasure Coast Charters

few fatties from thursday. School of five extra jumbos. by the time the second one got hit the rest hauled ass! Second picture was from monday.

steve-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #12
kwyoungspear

I think the black grouper are eating all the hog fish because that’s all I’m finding this “hog fish season”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F16FAEE0-D5ED-47CC-9AD5-DF77AD27D741.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	238043  
Old 05-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #13
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Beautiful fish.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #14
kwyoungspear

Shot my commercial limit of hog fish today with only 4 fish, biggest was 9 pounds. Lots and lots of 12-16” hogs

Can also confirm that black grouper are eating the hogs. 30 pounder today had a 15” male in his gut.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #15
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Thats awesome! Black I shot last week had nothing in its stomach strangely. However it was only 12 lbs.