Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

DIY Kayak Flag Mounting?

Hi
Recently picked up a Malibu 2 and would like to mount my dive flag on it using a bicycle flag rod. Any tips or suggestions for mounting it to my kayak?

Thanks and great spearing in the New Year!
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
FreediveCA

Re: DIY Kayak Flag Mounting?

I too have been trying to figure out a way to mount a flag. I have gone page by page in this section and the only thing I have found they don't make anymore. I'm trying to figure a way to have the whip rod screw in. That way I can paddle out with just a flag for visibility. Then when I get to the dive spot unscrew it so I can throw my dive flag on then screw it back in. Also I need to be able to take it out for storage. Haven't figured it out yet. I've been fiddling around with plumbing pieces. I think the answer may be there.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #3
Magno

Not sure what your seat is like, but mine has two rod holders on either side in back. I attach my flag to a old foldable fiberglass tent pole (the collapsing kind with bungee running throughout the middle) and then slide it down in the rod pocket. I use a bungee to provide some downward tension so it doesn't pull out. It's nice because I can fold it down, wrap it up in the flag and stow it in a hatch when not in use. I wouldn't mind having a way to attach it right to the boat but this was easy and didn't require breaching the hull.
Magno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Ron S

Send Diablo Loco a pm. He had some pretty good dive flag mounts for sale at a good price. A lot of us, including me, have them mounted on our yaks.
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
A-salt-weapon

Hmmmmm.... doesn't look like you have any room for a cooler? I have my flag mounted on a rod holder that's attached to my cooler, that works real good for me. You could get a marine VHF antenna mount and attach that to the yack somewhere... just a thought.
A-salt-weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
herefishyfishy

I installed a boat antenna mount (https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=antenna+mount) to the kayak using pop rivets. I then ran a bungee line from the mount to the lower ring of the flag so that I would not lose the flag. I like this setup because it allowed me to lower and raise the flag without going crazy.

FYI - pick a plastic antenna mount. The metal one I am showing could rust.

Good luck!
herefishyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
FreediveCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefishyfishy View Post
I installed a boat antenna mount (https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=antenna+mount) to the kayak using pop rivets. I then ran a bungee line from the mount to the lower ring of the flag so that I would not lose the flag. I like this setup because it allowed me to lower and raise the flag without going crazy.

Good luck!
Thank you for posting this. That is exactly what I was looking for. Wasting time in the pvc section at the hardware store trying to find this exact thing. The nylon one would be what I go for. Only $10. I think I've already got it figured out.

One question though. Would you cut out a hole so the threaded end runs through and the flat end is inside the kayak or do you think it best to just mount it to the top surface?
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefishyfishy View Post

Good luck!
Interesting
Thank you
Old 01-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #9
A-salt-weapon

Find a PVC threaded coupling that fits the threads on the plastic VHF antenna mount. Add about 6" of appropriate diameter pipe to that coupling. Cut the bottom of your "flag pole" so it's just metal rod and epoxy that into the PVC coupling and pipe. Mount to yack and kill fish.
A-salt-weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #10
kwtony
Snorkel Master

There is about 100 different ways to do this, but i have found that if you drill small hole to fit the teeny tube you can call it a day. A simple rubber plug from hardware store to cover the hole when you dont use it...most rods i have found are 3/16 but bring it to your hardware store and use their drill bit index to find the exact fit.

I see there is something on the end in that photo you posted, but it can easily be cut off.

On my rental skis I use a 3/4 inch PVC pipe and drill the proper hole somewhere in the plastic body.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #11
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
There is about 100 different ways to do this, but i have found that if you drill small hole to fit the teeny tube you can call it a day. A simple rubber plug from hardware store to cover the hole when you dont use it...most rods i have found are 3/16 but bring it to your hardware store and use their drill bit index to find the exact fit.

I see there is something on the end in that photo you posted, but it can easily be cut off.

On my rental skis I use a 3/4 inch PVC pipe and drill the proper hole somewhere in the plastic body.
Are you mounting your flags thru the scupper plugs? I've thought of this but was told by more than one that it can weaken the structure of the kayak?

On the end of the flag pole is a bike mount that I'll remove or cut off.

Appreciate the thoughts guys. I'm looking for something simple/easy so I can put the flag up/down and comes off easy when not in use.

Cheers and Happy New Year Fishing to all
Old 01-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Are you mounting your flags thru the scupper plugs? I've thought of this but was told by more than one that it can weaken the structure of the kayak?

On the end of the flag pole is a bike mount that I'll remove or cut off.

Appreciate the thoughts guys. I'm looking for something simple/easy so I can put the flag up/down and comes off easy when not in use.

Cheers and Happy New Year Fishing to all
No this would be a new hole on top. You would plug the hole when not in use and simply push the flag in the hole when you want to dive. See how I have 16mm band tubing over the shaft of my dive flag.

I keep it like this and it fits in the hole snugly. Sometimes I will push the cone further up the shaft and the rubber on the bottomso that it can rest on the inside of the yak and stay a little stiffer, and pointed up. A cone a few inches up and a second piece of band could be on the very end to keep it hold tight on the bottom and fill the hole properly. sort of like this

This is of course assuming you want to drill holes in your yak. A plug like shown could have a 550 cord and it be lashed down to something to keep from loosing it.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
No this would be a new hole on top. You would plug the hole when not in use and simply push the flag in the hole when you want to dive. See how I have 16mm band tubing over the shaft of my dive flag.

I keep it like this and it fits in the hole snugly. Sometimes I will push the cone further up the shaft and the rubber on the bottomso that it can rest on the inside of the yak and stay a little stiffer, and pointed up. A cone a few inches up and a second piece of band could be on the very end to keep it hold tight on the bottom and fill the hole properly. sort of like this

This is of course assuming you want to drill holes in your yak. A plug like shown could have a 550 cord and it be lashed down to something to keep from loosing it.

Very interesting. I kinda dig it. I really appreciate your sharing of this.
Cheers to all you spearo's
Old 01-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #14
Coos-spearo

I fill a rod holder with pool noodle foam. You can then drill an undersized hole in the foam and it will hold a dive flag.
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #15
Pelagics1988

I was thinking of trying to setup something for my old 2 person kayak for shore diving a little farther out. I may just take my RA 12L float and flag and drag it out a few feet behind to start. With a big yellow kayak and the flag next to it I'm hoping it will deter careless boaters far enough away. Thats just a temporary idea of course. We'll see how it goes and then figure out how to rig it so its higher in the air.
Pelagics1988 is offline   Reply With Quote