Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 07-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
TVA

Yamaha midrange 40 hp vs 50 hp *Suddenly, a Boston Whaler! *

How's it going guys? I'm looking at picking up a 15' power skiff and have the option of a Yamaha 40 hp or 50 hp outboard. I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience with either and can help me pick. The 40 is a 3 cylinder with 750cc of displacement and the 50 is a 4 cylinder with 1000cc of displacement. Would there be a noticeable difference in fuel consumption between the two? Would the extra 10 hp be worth an extra $800? Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by TVA; 07-31-2014 at 07:34 PM.
TVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
chris_a

Re: Yamaha midrange 40 hp vs 50 hp

I had power skiff with a tired 35hp two stroke and thought it was a bit under powered. They are kind of weight sensitive IMO so think about the weight difference too between the 40 and 50. You cant go wrong with a yamaha. Good luck
chris_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
TVA

Looks like it's a 35 lb difference between the two. Do you think that sways the decision one way or another?
Old 07-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
chris_a

I wouldnt think so. Post a pic of your boat with its new motor once you pull the trigger!
chris_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
TVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_a View Post
I wouldnt think so. Post a pic of your boat with its new motor once you pull the trigger!
Will do. Do you think the 50 is worth the extra money over the 40? Any idea about fuel consumption differences?
Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Get the 50. $800 is chump change compared to what you are spending. Plus if you get the 40 and have even the least bit of power problems, you will "I shoulda got the 50" for he rest of your time owning that boat. What will be most important is how the engine is set on he boat in particular height, and prop. Dont neglect those 2 very important things. Unfortunately, many people do.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 AM   #7
TVA

That's a good point. Do you feel like the stock Yamaha props aren't up to the task?
Old 07-14-2014, 03:38 AM   #8
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVA View Post
That's a good point. Do you feel like the stock Yamaha props aren't up to the task?
What I mean is that the boat has the correct prop in regards to # of blades and pitch for the boat it is being installed on, not the maker. Factors such as hull design, boat weights in particular what your max operating weight will be when it is loaded with people and equipment.

Example might be a prop with too much pitch might not allow you a good "hole shot" and might be difficult to get on plane and hard to control in rough ocean conditions. A prop with lets say a smaller amount of pitch might be good for getting out of the hole and planing down for rough water and then terrible for top end speed/MPG in more calmer conditions.

Im sure there are many more people well versed in this than I.

Getting the engine set up properly and having guys that will help vs just sell you the most expensive engine will really be the hard part. Work with the dealer to try out different props before you make the decision on the best one. Take as many and try them all, as the dealer will let you take to the ocean before you decide on the final one.

Good luck
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:43 AM   #9
TVA

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to look into it further
Old 07-15-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
slowboat

check out the new 70 / 4 stroke , it sips gas and is as small as the 50.

I've always had 60 / 2 strokes and they as dependable as they get .

One I ran commercially for 14 years until it was stolen from the shop I took in for a tune up.

I bought an etec evinrude which was 4500 down the drain , worst engine I ever owned and the dealer was an ass about the constant problems

bought another Yamaha 60 and have been really happy , and my new dealer
Camillo on Stock island has been exceptional .

as 2fishin2 said about having the extra power , you won't regret the extra expense and running the motor at lower rpm will make the engine last much longer , his statement about props are very important also.
I run a bigger work prop since sometimes I carry a load in my 15.6 cobia skiff

the fifty is an odd size and the one I owned for a year had various small problems , Camillo recommended not putting more money into it and go with another 60 , which he says is one of yamahas most dependable units.

spend the extra money , you won't be sorry when you need to run from weather or have an extra person or gear onboard
slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
TVA

Well the point is moot now. After having driven the boat it's just a bit too small and a bit too narrow of a beam for a dive boat. The gunnels are quite low and if we loaded it up with 4 guys and gear I don't feel like it would adequately get the job done. Tomorrow I'm going to drive a 19.5 foot Hobie Power Fisherman. Kind of an oddball hull that they started producing in '89 and didn't make for too long. We'll see how she rides though. She's powered by a 115hp Yamaha and sounds reasonably nice. More updates to come!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
TVA

Plans changed again and I came across a whaler that I couldn't refuse. She's a 2006 Montauk 170 powered by the factory 90 fuel injected Merc. Good condition and came with a T top, GPS, VHF, stereo, and a few misc extras. Maiden voyage will be soon.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #13
Morbo

Nice ride.
Morbo is offline   Reply With Quote