Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 438 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #811
Edward_Anderson

Re: California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmunger View Post
the lower portion of the cabin (the cuddy part, below the windows) is 3/8". That saved weight and allowed the cabin to be bent to shape. Really strong once glassed, even though its only a single 1.5 oz matte on the inside and a matte/cloth on the outside. the windows are 5/8" plywood (you need more stiffness there to hold and seal the windows in place).
5/8" is really convient around the windows not only for the added strength and stiffness to support the windows and cabin roof, but also that the rubber extrusion that is used to frame the windows comes in either 3/8" or 3/4" models, and 5/8 ply with some glass and gelcoat is almost a perfect 3/4" making it much easier to seal in the windows.
Edward_Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #812
sbsurfer

Nate the boat looks awesome man, I'm sure you're stoked to have splashed her...i think it's pretty obvious by the pic below.

Was out last weekend on the boat and snapped a few pics at the harbor and on the water. A huge Anderson being splashed, the beam on this thing was wiiiiiide. A few pics of Ed's Greenough, next to my boat and up the coast at anchor. An older 24 hull being redone old school style at the Radon yard. A sweet pic my buddy took of the Milagro, a 24 that Don and Linda rebuilt for themselves years ago, one of my favorite Radon's...the raised bow is damn nice. And i finally got a pic of my boat from back in the day, pretty crazy how much the pilothouse changes the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.1.12.9.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	178446   Click image for larger version

Name:	islarose.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	178447   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.1.12.1.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	178448   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.1.12.2.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	178449   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.1.12.3.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	178450  

Name:	9.1.12.6.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	178453   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.1.12.4.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	178454   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.1.12.5.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	178455  

Last edited by sbsurfer; 09-10-2012 at 12:29 PM.
sbsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #813
Mahtzo
Shh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_Anderson View Post
5/8" is really convient around the windows not only for the added strength and stiffness to support the windows and cabin roof, but also that the rubber extrusion that is used to frame the windows comes in either 3/8" or 3/4" models, and 5/8 ply with some glass and gelcoat is almost a perfect 3/4" making it much easier to seal in the windows.
Thank you for that extra little bit of knowledge. I have been thinking a lot about how the windows will be done and knowing that they come in 3/8 or 3/4 is very helpful
Louis
Mahtzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #814
olekils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahtzo View Post
Yes it is...

Nate, what thickness ply did you use on your pilot house? I have been thinking of and waffling on adding one to my panga. It will never look as sweet as yours, but I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and begin.

my pilot house will not be as extensive. no cuddy cabin. I'm thinking 3/8, but I have to check a few things.

thanks,
Louis
Hi Louis,
Just a lil food for thought:
I built my house out of 1/2" composite sheet. Basically a sheet of pvc foam with glass on both sides making a sandwich. There's a company called cattco that makes them. The stuff is expensive but super light, stiff and strong. It will also never rot. Once i had my design sorted, i simply cut on a table saw setting the angles right, taped together, fileted and laminated over the seams. It was way easy and makes for a nice finish. The windows were just routered out 1/2 way through and sikaflexed in place.
olekils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #815
Scottywotty
Long Beach Neptune

Hey Nate,(Fishmunger)

What are the original dementions of your panga? length, width, gunnels? and any others I may have missed

Thanks!

Scotty
Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #816
Mahtzo
Shh

Quote:
Originally Posted by olekils View Post
Hi Louis,
Just a lil food for thought:
I built my house out of 1/2" composite sheet. Basically a sheet of pvc foam with glass on both sides making a sandwich. There's a company called cattco that makes them. The stuff is expensive but super light, stiff and strong. It will also never rot. Once i had my design sorted, i simply cut on a table saw setting the angles right, taped together, fileted and laminated over the seams. It was way easy and makes for a nice finish. The windows were just routered out 1/2 way through and sikaflexed in place.
Olekils,
thanks for the tip. when you say expensive, do you remember (ballpark) approx how expensive? I looked at the site. It looks like I will have to contact them for more specific info as it was mostly general info.
thanks,
Louis
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #817
olekils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahtzo View Post
Olekils,
thanks for the tip. when you say expensive, do you remember (ballpark) approx how expensive? I looked at the site. It looks like I will have to contact them for more specific info as it was mostly general info.
thanks,
Louis
I think they run about $200-$250 for a 4x8 sheet.

CompositesOne distributes them on the west coast I think, so it may be worth giving them a call if you decide to go that route.

I got mine direct through a friend. It's a lot of money, but i was really keen on making my house as light as possible as my hull is only 700lb and any added weight is really noticeable.
The 1208 glass with light Airex core weighs 21.5lb for a 4x8 sheet.
It's basically two layers of 20oz glass on each side separated by foam core.
Comparing it to wood you will see it's really light. A 4x8 of 1/2" okoume weighs 37lb. That's before you add glass and resin to the wood.
Also, you will need much less glass and resin when building the cabin as you only need to glass the seams. The sheets come with peel-ply which you just peel off and it's ready for seam-taping and paint, so it can save work on finishing too.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #818
olekils

I forgot to add that stiffness and strength at failure are on par with 1/2" marine ply. Which is overkill for my application from a strength perspective but it makes the house nice and stiff without any internal stiffeners or ribs other than the basic instrument box.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #819
oldestradon

Olekils, Can you post some images of your pilot house?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by oldestradon; 09-12-2012 at 05:37 PM.
oldestradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #820
sbsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestradon View Post
Olekils, Can you post some images of your pilot house?
Thanks in advance
David, check out post #566 on pg 38 of this thread:

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...12#post1620412

By far one of the coolest RIB's I've seen around here. And Ole's one of the nicest guys I've met out on the water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110_concepts_03.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	178601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4102-1.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	178602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9633-1.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	178603  
Old 09-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #821
oldestradon

Thanks Mark,
Very cool set up!
oldestradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #822
sbsurfer

No problemo David. The cool part about the boat is that at rest there's compartments in the hull that fill with water for stability, then once under power the water exits the hull thus shedding the ballast weight and planing quickly
Old 09-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #823
olekils

Thanks, Mark! That's very kind!
Here are a few pictures of the cabin.

Name:	IMG_1191.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	178612

Name:	IMG_1190.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	178611

Name:	IMG_0853.JPG
Views:	468
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	178614
I think the same could be done for any boat like a panga, etc. It may even be easier as I had to bring the house in to fit the narrow hull and then let it expand out over the tubes to make enough shoulder room for two people to stand next to each other while the boat moves around.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #824
Mahtzo
Shh

Quote:
Originally Posted by olekils View Post
I think they run about $200-$250 for a 4x8 sheet.

CompositesOne distributes them on the west coast I think, so it may be worth giving them a call if you decide to go that route.

I got mine direct through a friend. It's a lot of money, but i was really keen on making my house as light as possible as my hull is only 700lb and any added weight is really noticeable.
The 1208 glass with light Airex core weighs 21.5lb for a 4x8 sheet.
It's basically two layers of 20oz glass on each side separated by foam core.
Comparing it to wood you will see it's really light. A 4x8 of 1/2" okoume weighs 37lb. That's before you add glass and resin to the wood.
Also, you will need much less glass and resin when building the cabin as you only need to glass the seams. The sheets come with peel-ply which you just peel off and it's ready for seam-taping and paint, so it can save work on finishing too.
thanks Olekils,
I'll have to look at finances and calculate how much I'll end up needing. It definitely sounds good if I can afford it. I appreciate the help.
Louis
Old 09-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #825
olekils

Here are a few from the build:
I modeled the basic structure in Pro/E which allowed me to figure out all of the angles at the joints. Then I figured out my patterning onto the sheets. I only needed 2 1/2 sheets to fit everything. I got both glass and the glass/wood panels so I used the lighter-duty wood stuff for the top.
Here is the first sheet ready to be cut:

Name:	160_Pilothouse_01.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	178615
When the pieces were cut I used packing tape to fit it all together and start fiberglassing the inside seams. I was super stoked on the fit, it was almost seamless!

Name:	160_Pilothouse_03.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	178616
This is my buddy helping me put the top together. I tried a bunch of stitch and glue methods, copper wire, zip-ties, tape etc. Here we used a staple gun with stainless pins. It worked surprisingly well to tack it for glassing.

Name:	160_Pilothouse_10.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	178617
Here the taping is visible. I thought I was smart by ordering pre-made strips of glass. As the picture shows this doesn't help all that much since the stitching on the seams stands up and needs to be ground down. Next time, I would cut my own strips and use peel ply to hold down the edges.

Name:	160_Pilothouse_12.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	178618
This is the house with primer and the instrument box visible. I just made a bolt-on face where all the electronics and wiring is hooked to the front plate making it fully removable. There is a seal all the way around it. I decided to paint it with primer only to see if cracks develop and a year and a half later, it's still primer gray with no cracks

Name:	160_Pilothouse_19.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	178619
The top is removable, and I used some aluminum H-channel with latches to attach it.

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	178620
I used some of the scrap decolite panels to make a cover for the fuel tanks. To save weight, the cover actually sits right on top of the tanks and gives me much needed room for microcruising.

Name:	IMG_9998.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	178621

Name:	IMG_1223.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	178622