Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
scottyboy679

Smile Speargun Advice. All opinions welcome

Hello Spearboard,

I am currently looking to buy a new speargun and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on good brands, styles, etc.

I have been spearfishing for 4 years and have been using my 120 cm Mako Oceanic for all of those years. I love the gun, but I feel like it is time to add a gun to my collection (very small collection of 1) to change things up.

I am looking for a gun that could be used as a hybrid between kelp beds and blue water since I like in Southern California. I am thinking along the lines of a wooden gun, or maybe even a hybrid and Wong spearguns have caught my eye since they have a lifetime warranty and I have only heard good things about them.

So I have some questions that I hope can be answered or for someone to shine some light on them for me:

What are the benefits of a hybrid gun compared to a wood gun?
What size would be good?
Are there any great wooden gun brands that I should consider besides for Wong and Riffe?
What makes a gun a Euro gun and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Any information would be awesome.

Thanks for your time,

Scott

P.S. I just graduated from college and have a lot of spare time on my hands now so if anyone is looking for a dive buddy in the Long Beach, LA, or OC area send me a PM.
scottyboy679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
apexdiver
Tony

Re: Speargun Advice. All opinions welcome

Two threads?
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
scottyboy679

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdiver View Post
Two threads?
Thought I would try out both categories
Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy679 View Post
Thought I would try out both categories
Oh ok.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
Freshy

The only advice I can give you is to find out what size/ type of guns other guys are using in the area you spear most regularly and then critique the current gun you have. Is it too long for the vis you experience? Is it hard to swing? Do you want something shorter? Thicker shaft? More rubbers? Etc... Don't rely purely on information on this forum to give you the "best gun." Everyone's spearing style is different. Some people love euro guns, others love wooden guns. What works for one person may not work for another, especially if you're targeting different fish.

However, it seems that midhandles are the way to go in California, with Wong Hybrids being very popular. I have a 57.5in and 63in GR Plus and they're worth every penny. They are extremely well made guns and Dr. Wong is a fantastic guy to work with.
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
spearq8

Well for one, a hybrid mid handle will shoot differently than a rear gun, so you have to be willing to make that adjustment. A lot of people that move from rear handle to mid handle complain that a mid handle is not as accurate, but really it is more likely that the gun impact point is different than what they are used to. A midhandle is great for quick maneuvering, but so is the 120 pipe gun you already have (although not as good). I would keep the Mako for kelp and work on a powerful 140 open water wood gun with an 8mm shaft and maybe 3 x 5/8" bands for blue water. A lot of people would disagree and prefer a compact hybrid mid handle, but I personally can't hit well with them at longer open water ranges.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
schwaman

If you like hybrids and are used to a euro, then a rear handle plus hybrid might be a good choice. You have the added band stretch, since the mech is all in the back, and still similar aiming as with the euro. I could not get warm with true midhandles, but rear plus works very well.
You say you got a lot of time? Maybe more than cash? Build one!
With this little 55" i've gotten up to 50lbs amberjacks and 40lbs wahoo, 7.5mm flopper shaft. Very compact little gun that would do well in kelp.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=125117

This one is stricly for blue water, very long, would not be good in kelp

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=162360
schwaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
scottyboy679

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwaman View Post
If you like hybrids and are used to a euro, then a rear handle plus hybrid might be a good choice. You have the added band stretch, since the mech is all in the back, and still similar aiming as with the euro. I could not get warm with true midhandles, but rear plus works very well.
You say you got a lot of time? Maybe more than cash? Build one!
With this little 55" i've gotten up to 50lbs amberjacks and 40lbs wahoo, 7.5mm flopper shaft. Very compact little gun that would do well in kelp.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=125117

This one is stricly for blue water, very long, would not be good in kelp

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=162360
Wow very nice guns! maybe I will look into making one for myself. Was it pricey and do I need to be pretty experienced with carpentry to be able to pull it off?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
teaknsteel
Creator of fine teak dust

It is only less expensive if you have all the tools or you have access to a workshop. And yes you need experience to make a good solid straight shooting gun.

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence up against a fish and loses had it coming." - John Steinbeck
teaknsteel is offline   Reply With Quote