Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

View Poll Results: Riffe or Koah
Riffe Euro 35 32.41%
Koah Euro 73 67.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 04:48 AM   #76
spearq8

Re: Riffe OR!? Koah. I realize there are no bad choices here.

The Riffe Euro is the only Riffe gun I can imagine using. At the time it came out it was really a major improvement over all the Riffe line of guns. Today, it is an outdated design and many guns are superior. Riffe could probably improve on the Euro design by using a reverse trigger and changing a few other minor things. As it is a Riffe Euro 120X is about the same footprint as a Denton 140 with the approximate power of a Denton 110. Also the way Riffe sends out their guns ... they are sent with setups that are just ridiculously under powered ... which probably is the cause of Riffe's having a poor reputation in accuracy and power. Once setup properly a Riffe Euro is incredibly accurate ... as accurate as any gun out there ... this is mostly due to having one of the best and crispest triggers out there. Riffe Euro guns are low shooters though. Even if you reduce shaft overhang to the minimum it will still shoot lower. I think that can be fixed with a re-design ... but Riffe has been very quiet on that front.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #77
adzhoo

Send a message via Skype™ to adzhoo

Agreed with you, SpearQ8

I own and use a Riffe Euro 130 as my default gun in Panama, and I use it also systematically to double my yellowfin tunas and finish them.

However, I use a 62" double floppers shaft in 19/64 (7,5mm), which gives me the advantage of having low overhang, and better penetration due to the higher inertia of the shaft. I power the gun with 2 good powerbands at 400%, so it's not lacking any power!
Try that configuration. It's not for everybody, as loading it is difficult... I won't also pretend that it transforms it in a real long range blue water gun, but it's a very versatile gun indeed.
adzhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #78
spearholic

Blockier or not Koah is a great shooting better than riffed I had own the two the only advantage of riffed is the magna track for free chafting and the auto set of the shooting line release pin and the Koah advantage is the enclose track and more reach distance shoot ( accuracy) so for me is koah all day
spearholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:52 AM   #79
sharpshooter

Never used a Riffe. So, no comment. For this web site, I would be considered a oldster. Started out in 1978 after the Navy with a 48 Biller Sea Hornet. Back in those days around the Tampa area it was either a wood Biller or JBL pipe gun. Shot a ton of fish with that gun for many years. Back then, it was 10 gags a day per person. Next, I went to a Biller 54 LTD. Same story. Took a few trips for me to dial in with the longer gun. I purposely left my 48 at home. That "forced" me to deal with the adjustment. About 2 years ago, I got the Koah Battle Axe the same length as my Biller 54. I liked the very quick free shaft to line shaft set up. Again, another dialing in of me and the new gun. In line track vs. open track. I looked at the guns my buddies dive with. Death Stick,Bona Fide,Riffe,Wong,etc.. All those guys love their guns and can hit good with them. I can't believe how many people are making spear guns these days compared to when I first started out. Back then, the choices were few and easy. My reasons for getting the Battle Axe. It suits "MY" needs, John of Koah is only a 4 hr. drive from my house in case of service. Not on the other side of my world. Since, the purchase of my gun. He has come out with a few improvements. Tear drop slide ring, rubber molded butt that holds two spare shafts. The guy is always trying to improve his product. Most of the guns out there seem to be of almost the same design with a difference here or there. Pick out what will work for your own needs for the type spearing your doing. Get somebody close to where you live making guns full time and that will be in business years down the road. In closing. My brother in law that I deer hunt with is in his early 70's. He bought a surplus WWll 30-06 in the early 50's for $60 and put a Tasco $30 scope on it. When asked why, he doesn't get something better? His reply is always, "I pull the trigger and the bullet hits what I am aiming at". For me, it's my Battle Axe. I pull the trigger and the shaft hits what I'm aiming at.

Last edited by sharpshooter; 04-01-2017 at 10:23 AM.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #80
Mighty KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Never used a Riffe. So, no comment. For this web site, I would be considered a oldster. Started out in 1978 after the Navy with a 48 Biller Sea Hornet. Back in those days around the Tampa area it was either a wood Biller or JBL pipe gun. Shot a ton of fish with that gun for many years. Back then, it was 10 gags a day per person. Next, I went to a Biller 54 LTD. Same story. Took a few trips for me to dial in with the longer gun. I purposely left my 48 at home. That "forced" me to deal with the adjustment. About 2 years ago, I got the Koah Battle Axe the same length as my Biller 54. I liked the very quick free shaft to line shaft set up. Again, another dialing in of me and the new gun. In line track vs. open track. I looked at the guns my buddies dive with. Death Stick,Bona Fide,Riffe,Wong,etc.. All those guys love their guns and can hit good with them. I can't believe how many people are making spear guns these days compared to when I first started out. Back then, the choices were few and easy. My reasons for getting the Battle Axe. It suits "MY" needs, John of Koah is only a 4 hr. drive from my house in case of service. Not on the other side of my world. Since, the purchase of my gun. He has come out with a few improvements. Tear drop slide ring, rubber molded butt that holds two spare shafts. The guy is always trying to improve his product. Most of the guns out there seem to be of almost the same design with a difference here or there. Pick out what will work for your own needs for the type spearing your doing. Get somebody close to where you live making guns full time and that will be in business years down the road. In closing. My brother in law that I deer hunt with is in his early 70's. He bought a surplus WWll 30-06 in the early 50's for $60 and put a Tasco $30 scope on it. When asked why, he doesn't get something better? His reply is always, "I pull the trigger and the bullet hits what I am aiming at". For me, it's my Battle Axe. I pull the trigger and the shaft hits what I'm aiming at.
Sharpshooter,

Looks like we started about the same time.
I was telling someone last week how there were only 2 guns available when I started. I used the JBL Magnum 450. That was the "go to" gun here in the Northern Gulf back in the early 80's. The Sea Hornet was more of a Florida thing. Shot some big stuff off the rigs with the JBL back then.

I have since bought a lot of different guns, including the Riffe and Koah. For Bluewater, I prefer the Koah rear handle plus. Doesn't kick much, and I hit better with it than I did with the Riffe Island. (I hated that gun). But, I do like the Riffe Euro. Guess it depends on what fits you, more than the brand.

Oh, and by the way, I hunt with a Mauser that my Dad brought back from WWII. Not sporterized, just iron sights.

KC
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:23 AM   #81
slowboat

whatever you buy , don't buy a ab biller . they won't sell you a replacement trigger anymore , you have to send the handle in and they replace it . just made using an entry level reliable gun , a maintenance hassle .
slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote