Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
CuzzA

Paralenz Dive Camera...

Since so many of us record our dives with action cameras I'm putting this here in the general forum to reach more of you who may be considering a dive camera, an upgrade or simply are unsure if the Paralenz is worth it.

So I received this camera yesterday as a birthday gift and upon opening the box everything appeared very well packaged. Like we would expect from a top tier company. They included separately with the box a new rear end cap made out of aluminum rather than the original plastic cap. Obviously with a new startup there will be some issues to overcome and it appears they are addressing those issues. Which I will get to in a moment.

The camera feels very well built, in fact it's a tad heavy. The rear cap is sealed with three o-rings. It has a unique ring on the outside that can be turned to change settings and a single button to initiate recording and taking pictures. It also has a very small screen in the rear to indicate certain settings.

I should point out this camera is purpose built for divers and so it has some of the features we are familiar with in our dive computers. For example, it logs your depth profile, dive time and temperature. One nice advantage is you can set the camera to automatically record when you begin your descent. Much like your dive computer automatically starts to operate based on the pressure sensor. No more forgetting to turn the camera on.

I will let you guys research all the technical specs and only point out the one major technological advantage to this camera compared to others is that it has the option to use their DCC tech. Depth Color Correction. Basically, because the camera has a depth gauge they have created the tech to automatically adjust and color correct your footage based on your depth. No more red filters or post production color editing. You can choose between two options, blue water or green water. This alone is what really peaked my interest about this camera. Since we want to keep our dive videos brief (less than a few minutes), it should be nice to simply film, upload, cut and share. Thus saving a ton of time.

Here's an example. Not perfect, but good enough.

So that is some of the pros, now to the cons.

There were a couple oversights in the design of this camera, IMO. Keep in mind everyone dives differently and has there own activities underwater so some of these cons won't apply to everyone.

First, the minor stuff. I think they should have put the charging contacts on the outside of the body. As we all know, every time we open a computer, flashlight or camera there's a possibility the o-ring doesn't seat right or twists, tears, etc. and we know what happens next. Also, it has a built in rechargeable battery. So once it's dead, there's no swapping batteries. You have to charge it. I don't know what the procedure is for when the battery will no longer hold a charge. I will find out and report back. Fortunately it appears the battery will last for 2+ hours on a single charge, which should be plenty for most of us. Especially if we recharge during surface intervals. Think portable charging packs.

So those are some minor issues, now for more pressing issues which are more specific to hands free mask mounting this camera. If you use this camera on a tray or stick, then I wouldn't be too concerned with my following critique, but if you plan on mask mounting, listen up.

The camera is a lip stick tube bullet style camera and so unfortunately it will not work out of the box with a mask that has a GoPro style mount, like my GoMask for example. The camera simply extends too far back preventing you from donning your mask. That was disappointing to learn, especially since I first inquired about that issue and I was told it would work.

After giving up on that idea I then turned to their mask strap mount. From there I got a bit frustrated. The mount does not sit parallel with your mask/line of sight. The camera mount pushes away from your face and would consequently film at an angle off to your side rather than whatever you are looking at. Furthermore, there is no way to adjust the trim. On my GoPro I usually angle the camera up because if I'm in good trim, my face is not looking straight head, rather it's facing down a bit, yet my eyes are compensating and looking ahead.

Now, in their defense, they have released a new mask mount that does allow you to adjust the trim, but you'll have to tie down the mount so that the camera stays parallel. They need to revisit this design as there's some flaws. It appears it was designed for divers wearing hoods rather than tropical divers. The strap mount has an unusual bend to it and covers part of your ear. This is annoying and why I assume when they developed it they tested it with divers wearing hoods.

So what's the solution? I contacted Paralenz and while they did not provide a solution they were very responsive to me. Very good customer service in fact. I told them I didn't want to use it and forgo my ability to return it for a refund if this would not meet my simple expectations. The CMO asked me to dive it and if I'm not happy then return it, so I agreed.

Now, I pondered for a while trying to figure out the simplest way to make this work and decided to buy a couple different extension arms and hopefully that will allow me to use the original mount on the GoMask.

I will be diving Sunday and will report back with performance, issues and of course, some video.

Also, I should point out they sell a speargun mount, but the way this camera mounts (could pop off unless secured better) and the fact most cameras get beat up on guns, I wouldn't go that route.

Unboxing.

Side camera mount issue.

Here's the Paralenz website.

https://www.paralenz.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

My GoMask for reference. A really great (and expensive) mask that truly opens up your field of view.

http://www.xsfoto.com/product/gomask-panorama/

Extension Arm #1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Extension Arm #2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: It's imperative to upgrade the firmware upon receiving the camera and only use the SD cards Paralenz recommends. Here's some more info. Get the most out of your Paralenz® Dive Camera - Paralenz

I hope this thread helps anyone considering this camera. If you have info please share. I will update with any new info.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
jersymudsniper

Re: Paralenz Dive Camera...

I looked at it a while ago. Wonder how it works in green water. Like 5ft murk kinda poop viz.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
eddie1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
I looked at it a while ago. Wonder how it works in green water. Like 5ft murk kinda poop viz.
I dive in murky green water... the dcc green does wonders...

I agree with the cons, the mask mount needs to be re-worked.... they have come out with a new adjustable mask mount but they are making us pay full price ($25+shipping).

The second and really only concern is the battery, as it cant be replaced but does however last as long as 2 gopro batteries would. However battery degradation really worries me.

Overall excellent picture quality, DCC is amazing and way less drag than a gopro
eddie1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
CatDiver

Very interesting. I’m certainly open to something other than GoPro and will be interested to see how the DCC works for you here in the gulf. I wouldn’t but one though unless it had a workable make mount. I don’t like the camera anywhere else
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDiver View Post
Very interesting. I’m certainly open to something other than GoPro and will be interested to see how the DCC works for you here in the gulf. I wouldn’t but one though unless it had a workable make mount. I don’t like the camera anywhere else
The extension arm worked perfect for my GoMask. I simply don't like the provided mask mount, but it seems to work for some people. Perhaps I'm just a little more critical.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
CuzzA

Here's the video. Not sure how to embed. I've moved on from YouTube/Google due to their anti-US Constitution stance and am now on www.UgeTube.com

Check it out...

https://videos.utahgunexchange.com/w...FjPDAU2HX.html
Old 05-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
jfjf

Nice shooting!!! Video came out nice, the depth display would be really cool for
Freedivers - where 10 or 15 feet makes a big difference.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Nice shooting!!! Video came out nice, the depth display would be really cool for
Freedivers - where 10 or 15 feet makes a big difference.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
popgun pete

Being an inveterate dismantler in order to see how things works, do you have any idea how to pop the Paralenz camera open? Replacing batteries provided the correct dimensional size and capacity power cells can be sourced is not often that difficult if you use patience and your brains. I have a full tool box of miniature screwdrivers and sockets that cater for most fasteners including the so called "security" types. My grandfather once said "what one man can put together another can take apart".
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Also, I should point out they sell a speargun mount, but the way this camera mounts (could pop off unless secured better) and the fact most cameras get beat up on guns, I wouldn't go that route.
A click and twist bayonet mount for quick connect and disconnect would work for a gun camera, maybe the company may make one or an aftermarket unit may appear if the demand is there, or even 3D print something to do the job.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:46 AM   #11
virgili

Been using for month this cam exclusively mounted on spearguns...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gun.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	241827  

www.divefreeapp.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/spearfishingmotion
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #12
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgili View Post
Been using for month this cam exclusively mounted on spearguns...
Photo of the gun set-up possible with the camera in situ?