Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
saltierdog
proper use of a bait tank

Uwatec nitrox computer (do you reccomend it?)

I am thinking of getting a more programmable nitrox computer
I have an oceanic for many years but I tend to get that slightly bent feeling
headache hangover and stiff neck whenever diving within 3 -4 min of deco

so i would like to get a computer that i can program for a less aggressive profile

I saw this today
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/UTCAS...3don%26Hit%3d1

any one reccomend this or any other for less than $600

Just Say No to GREENWASHING

Men stumble over the truth from time to time,
but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.

-- Winston Churchill
saltierdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
jadairiii

Re: Uwatec nitrox computer (do you reccomend it?)

May not be the computer. Sounds more like CO2 build up, or CO from the dive boat.

Before you go out spending money on a computer, alter you dive profiles and mixes and also consider trying a different regulator.

From personal experience I would often get headaches after a dive with certain regs.
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
saltierdog
proper use of a bait tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadairiii View Post
May not be the computer. Sounds more like CO2 build up, or CO from the dive boat.

Before you go out spending money on a computer, alter you dive profiles and mixes and also consider trying a different regulator.

From personal experience I would often get headaches after a dive with certain regs.

thanks
you are probably right
as a freediver i tend to breath very slow and hold my breath often when i scuba dive

Just Say No to GREENWASHING

Men stumble over the truth from time to time,
but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.

-- Winston Churchill
saltierdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Uwatec makes good computers, a little less liberal on recreational 1st & 2nd dives sometimes than Pelagic Systems (Oceanic) computers but they end up even to more liberal the deeper and more dives you make.

Regarding adjustability... how about ascend when you hit the yellow or 3 to 5 minutes before deco?
That's the simple recommendation for adding safety margin with color coded computers.

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
jmiley

On some of the Uwatec computers you have to send them to the factory to get the battery replaced.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
islanduni
islanduni

Get the DiveRite Ni Tek Duo, it's the most conservative computer out there.
islanduni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
shcubasteve

The Aladin Tec 2 is a great lite-tec computer, it'll do 2 gasses up to 100%. Plus my battery has lasted for years.
shcubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
pernicia

I had an Uwatec Smart Com and sold it a week ago. (I have a Mares Nemo Excel and Suunto Vytec DS). It's a good computer with adjustable conservative levels. The only con I have to the Smart Com computer is that you need to connect the Dive Computer to an actual computer to change some settings and alarms (ie. PSI alarm, work overload)

Like someone else mentioned, the battery has to be replaced at factory, so you'll be without computer for about 3 weeks.

For $600 I would get a Suunto Cobra 2 (air integrated) , or a Suunto Vytec DS (wireless air integrated) check Diver Direct store price or check Oceanic
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
waterpirate

I would get deco planner and set it for what ever you want and cut tables. The ultimate in adjustability. Cost priceless at 100.00
Eric
waterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
The 66 Kid

Both my brother and I have that same computer. Mine has not given me any problems but my brother has had to send his back to the manufacturer I think twice. The one time I am for sure about the computer locked up for no reason on day 1 of a 3 day trip. No, it was not a safety feature. Just a computer locking up. But like I said, I never had any problems with mine.

I wear a Oceanic Atom 1.0 as backup. I have noticed that on multiple dive days, the difference between the Uwatec and the Atom is significant. I have had as much difference as 9 minutes NDC time between the two with the average about 5-6 minutes. The Atom always gives me more time.

At the end of the day, I would not get this same computer again. Not because it is too conservative, but it just seems a little fragile.
The 66 Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
DIVER301

I have the Uwatec SmartZ for several years now. It is the second Uwatec I have owned. I have had no problems for either comp. My new Uwatec has a lifetime free battery replacement at any Scuba Pro dealer.
DIVER301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
Hank49

I have an Uwatec that I bought just two years ago in the Philippines. My son had it and it just started beeping sitting in his room. It's now done it again so I took it to the ScubaPro tech here in Belize. He told me I'm basically screwed because this is an older model and they won't bother fixing it. Like I said, I bought it just two years ago. ??
But being where I am, Uwatec isn't the best option because of the battery thing. I have a 1999 Aladin Pro that still works but it's a pain getting the battery changed.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
hammerhead786

I have the Smart com and the Aladin Tec I liked the Aladin and it worked flawlessly as a back up for about 500 dives (I dive about 6-12 tanks a week). The Aladin just started eating batteries one day and I have to send it in to be fixed.

The Smart com Never had any problems other than the adjustment by wet buttons only not working well by wetting the fingers. After about 500 dives I got an F8 message in between dives. I'm guessing it's a battery code. Regardless it has to be sent in as well. I recently bought the integrated Cobra III and I love it. I like it Better than the Smart com and the Smart com was a good computer. The fact that it has to be sent in for a battery replacement is reason enough never to buy one. Couple that with the wet buttons only and it's a no brainer. For a back up I'm using an Oceanic Veo 3.0 and I love that too. These would be the two I recommend.
hammerhead786 is offline   Reply With Quote