Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #1
Smesh

Ocean Hunter 3 Atm Floats??

Anyone here use them? I'm curious as to what you think of them compared to the Riffe 3 Atm.
Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 PM   #2
Benook

Re: Ocean Hunter 3 Atm Floats??

I've got one Smesh. Really like it. have used the Riffe as well, and the Ocean Hunter is way more visible on the surface, and feels like it is going to hold up well to any abuse. The high vis yellow doesn't stay as clean as the Riffe floats but they clean easily enough. Have had it for about a year now and it gets a lot of use boat diving and there hasn't been any issues with it whatsoever.

One thing I will say is that the inflator system on the Riffe is better.
Benook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:09 AM   #3
Smesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benook View Post
I've got one Smesh. Really like it. have used the Riffe as well, and the Ocean Hunter is way more visible on the surface, and feels like it is going to hold up well to any abuse. The high vis yellow doesn't stay as clean as the Riffe floats but they clean easily enough. Have had it for about a year now and it gets a lot of use boat diving and there hasn't been any issues with it whatsoever.

One thing I will say is that the inflator system on the Riffe is better.
Thanks for the info. The Ocean Hunter is slightly cheaper and SOUNDS good, but there is very little info about them to be found and no real reviews or videos of people using them.

What about the 44psi? I'm curious how the Ocean Hunter can go 44psi without popping or bursting the seams and/or zipper. the Riffe has those buckles for support while the Ocean Hunter doesn't. The Riffe is max 29 but from what I understand, most people don't inflate it that high. Maybe between 20-25 max for fear of popping the bladder.

The Ocean Hunters have a one year warranty. I don't know how long the Riffe warranty is but I would think it would be longer than a year and they would take care of someone who popped the float. They've been around longer and are proven bw floats so idk?
Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:24 AM   #4
Benook

Hey Smesh, I can't for the life of me get the picture business to work. So I think the reason it can go to 44psi or roughly that is because it has a bladder, like the Riffe, then a cover that is really heavy-duty/ overbuilt that does what the tendons do on the Riffe, and then the outer hi-vis yellow casing that is made up of some kind heavy duty canvas business. The support buckles that you mention are sown into the second bladder casing and become apparent when inflated. The zipper is pretty similar to the Riffe- Really strong.

Like I mentioned before I'm yet to get a proper reading out of the inflator gauge supplied and I think that is the only downside to the float as a whole.

Can't comment on the warranty side of things because nothing has gone wrong yet.
Benook is offline   Reply With Quote