Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
Louisuga

Spearfishing in St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Legality? Regs?

Hi everyone,

I will be sailing in the area of St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines at the end of November 2017. I have been looking around for info regarding spearfishing in that area but haven't found much. Previous posts on this forum from 2013 and prior contain conflicting evidence without much for sources. Does anyone happen to know if it is legal for a non-citizen to bring and shoot fish in any of those places?

I was able to find this link on the Govt. website for St. Lucia, but it makes no mention of weather this is for foreigners or locals or both:
http://www.govt.lc/services/apply-fo...ear-gun-permit

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Louis
Louisuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
nilsonov

Re: Spearfishing in St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Legality? Regs?

Have a report?
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
Louisuga

Spearfishing is illegal in both St. Vincent and the Grenadines and St. Lucia for non-residents. It looks like you can pole spear lionfish if you go on a guided snorkeling trip near the Pitons, and they will cook them up for you after.

We just did some trolling while we were sailing between islands and had a few hits, but didnt get the fish into the boat. Another group we met were also trolling and caught a 6 foot long white marlin that fed all 18 people for 7 days and still had lots to give away to locals at the end.

The somewhat annoying but harmless "Boat Boys" will come by selling everything from beads, crafts,ice, beer, live lobster and fresh fish. We picked up an 8 lb tuna variety (bigeye?) for around $30USD.

Happy to answer any other questions about the area. Have Fun

Louis
Louisuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
SEATUX

I helped my daughter sail her boat from Grenada up the ( wind ward?) islands to St Kitts..then to St Croix...we trolled lures the entire time, I got SO tired of eating black fin tuna that I jumped on the only Barracuda we got to the boat ( we had some Huge Mahi-Mahi on, but couldn't land them)! It was a great trip, did allot of free diving and "spearing...dont ask..dont tell" but honestly, the "shallow" waters don't hold much..except lobsters...and how much lobster do you think you can eat!
As for the boat boys...They were ALWAYS very accommodating..would do ANYTHING to earn a buck...gotta feel sorry for the island folk...only place I know of that the Poor people live by/on the ocean, and the Rich live high in the mountains.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote