Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
skinneej

Re: FWC: Florida/Bahamas Regulations (Read before making the crossing!)

I just got back from West End on 7.08.2012 and my fishing permit says "20 lbs of scalefish, 10 conch, and 6 crawfish PER PERSON"...
skinneej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Like I said the other day, that was a mistake that they obviously didnt fix yet. It would be OK if that was what it is. I do hope they change it back to what it was, 60 lbs per boat.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
skinneej

I'm still not convinced that you are correct. I went in January and it clearly said "60lbs or 20 fish per vessel whichever is the lesser"... I go back this weekend and it says 20lbs of scalefish PER PERSON... I guess we will see how it pans out over the next few weeks.
skinneej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
djsmits305
DJ

Send a message via Skype™ to djsmits305

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinneej View Post
I just got back from West End on 7.08.2012 and my fishing permit says "20 lbs of scalefish, 10 conch, and 6 crawfish PER PERSON"...
I think this is what the OP should say. 20lbs of fish, 10 lobsters, and 0 conch PER VESSEL doesn't sound right.
djsmits305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #20
kkeller

Bahamas
LLOYD Gilford
Senior Fisheries Officer
Department of Fisheries
Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
East Bay Street
P.O. Box 3028
NASSAU
New Providence
T: +1 (242) 393 17 77
F: +1 (242) 393 02 38
E: fisheries@batelnet.bs

http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/regulations-0

Fishing RegulationsArriving by Boat
Visiting boaters must clear customs and immigration at one of the nearest designated 32 Ports of Entry. As you enter each port, fly the yellow quarantine flag and notify Customs of your arrival immediately. Only the captain is permitted to leave the boat until the vessel has been cleared.

When Customs and Immigration come to your vessel, everyone on board must have proof of citizenship and fill out an immigration card. U.S. citizens can present a passport or birth certificate (original or certified copy) and an official photo I.D., such as a driver's license or voter's card. Before leaving The Islands Of The Bahamas, be sure to surrender your copy of the immigration card at the last Bahamian port you visit. If you have a firearm on board, you must declare it with Customs. You must provide the serial number and manufacturer, plus an exact count of ammunition. You are allowed to have a firearm on your boat, but you cannot take it off unless you have a permit from the Bahamian police ahead of time. Weapons must be under lock and key at all times. Any infraction of this law is dealt with severely.

Entry Fees
Due to the concern of the boating community, the current fees of $150 for boats up to 35 feet in length and $300 for boats over 35 feet, will be valid for two entries during a 90-day period, commencing December 1, 2003 as an interim measure.

This covers a vessel with four persons or fewer. The fee covers the cruising permit, fishing permit, Customs and Immigration charges and the $15 per person departure tax for up to four persons. Each additional person above four is charged a $15.00 departure tax (this tax is $18.00 for each additional person above four departing Freeport, Grand Bahama Island). If you plan to stay longer than 12 months, special arrangements must be made with Bahamas Customs and Immigration.

Regular hours for Bahamas Customs and Immigration Officers are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Officers are on-call during holidays and weekends. There is no overtime charge.

In the long term, The Bahamian Government is considering an annual fee structure. We will continue to maintain a dialogue with both the domestic and the international boating communities to determine how to best implement this policy.

Permits
You can receive fishing permits from Customs officials at any of our 32 ports of entry. Fishing gear is restricted to hook and line and you’re allowed to fish with no more than six rods at a time.

Marine Vessel Limits
Lobster or Crawfish

No more than 10 tails at any given time. Annual closed season is April 1 to July 31. Minimum size limits are 3-3/8 inch carapace length or six inches tail length. Egg -bearing female crawfish are protected.

Conch

Limit at any given time is no more than 6 per vessel. Harvesting and possession of conch without a well formed lip is prohibited.

Wahoo/Dolphin/Kingfish/Tuna

Migratory species shall not exceed 18 fish per vessel at any time.

Demersal Species

Demersal species (grouper, snappers, etc.) - No more than 60 pounds or 20 scale fish.

Stone Crabs
The minimum harvestable claw is four inches. Harvesting of females is prohibited. The season is closed from June 1 to October 15.

Turtles

Illegal to import. No vessel shall have onboard marine turtles.

Spearfishing

Hawaiian sling is the only approved spearfishing device. You are not allowed to use scuba gear or an air compressor to harvest fish, conch, crawfish or other marine animals. Spearfishing is not allowed within one mile of the coast of New Providence, within one mile of the south coast of Freeport, Grand Bahama and within 200 yards of the coast of all The Out Islands. Spearing or taking marine animals by any means is prohibited within national sea parks.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #21
Surface Tension

Thanks Keller. That is how the form that Bahamian Customs gave me said this past May read as well.

Dave
Surface Tension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
Adelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeller View Post
Bahamas
Hawaiian sling is the only approved spearfishing device. You are not allowed to use scuba gear or an air compressor to harvest fish, conch, crawfish or other marine animals. Spearfishing is not allowed within one mile of the coast of New Providence, within one mile of the south coast of Freeport, Grand Bahama and within 200 yards of the coast of all The Out Islands. Spearing or taking marine animals by any means is prohibited within national sea parks.
HHHM, So does this make pole spears illegal? I always thought it was a no mechanism law.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Pole spears are legal. Always have been, just no triggers. This (above fishing limits) is what it was a couple years ago. That is the problem here, there is no actual written law, except the cruising permit. I could not find anything except the older laws. I am sure that is why the 2 police officers let us go, because we showed them all the written things that we could find, which didnt state this. And they didnt show us anything. Except the forgieners cruising permit. They stated it, but couldnt produce it. If it is a new law, I cannot find it. I did not go this year because of the stupid problems with the fishing laws.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #24
Catalyst
Formerly Twin-or-Lose

I have in front of me 3 Bahamian issued forms all from June of each year 2009,2010 and 2012. We where unable to go in 2011.

The 2 forms from 2009 and 2010 look identical front and back and state on the back:

"(iii) Vessel bag limits for other fishery resources are six (6) conch, ten (10) crawfish and sixty (60) pounds or twenty (20) fish of other demersal fishery resources whichever is the lesser per vessel at any time."

The form from 2012 (about 3 weeks ago) looks narrower and taller and states on the back:

"(iii) Vessel bag limits for other fishery resources are 20lbs of scalefish, 10 conch and 6 crawfish per person at any time. The possession of turtle is prohibited. The above amounts may also be exported by the vessel upon leaving the Bahamas."

At first I thought they were just using old forms but I think the official turtle ban is a recent thing even for locals and the language about exports is new and sounds in line with the docs from FWC.
Hopefully they will get them in sync asap.

Last edited by Catalyst; 07-16-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #25
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

That is the same screwed up verbage from 2011, that I showed on the first page. The officers told us it was for the vessel, not per person. I am surprised they havent fixed it yet, hopefully it will go back to the way it was a few years ago.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
anthropisces

How many pounds of filets? Are they talking 60lbs of whole fish? That can equal a single fish.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #27
kengolding

Those regulations are what made me decide to quit going to the Bahamas. I used to take my boat with 3-4 guys over 20-30 times a year. We would all put in anywhere from 400-700 each and do a long weekend. We bought fuel, food and lodging there. The first year I took my boat to Alabama and then fished the rigs for 3 months.

I then started going to the keys, and wound up buying a small place in venture out and now I am really enjoying keeping my money over here.

I know Vida really well at bootle bay, and the change of these regulations have killed his business, along with most other small out island marinas.

It was not uncommon to catch a single fish that would limit us out, or a couple of muttons and we are done fishing for the weekend? I don't think so. We never raped their reefs or left with hundreds of pounds of fish, but these regs shut down my desire to go over there.
kengolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #28
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Entry Fees
Due to the concern of the boating community, the current fees of $150 for boats up to 35 feet in length and $300 for boats over 35 feet, will be valid for two entries during a 90-day period, commencing December 1, 2003 as an interim measure

My last trip over this spring theycharged me $150 plus another $30 for some BS reason....did I just get screwed by the customs people or did everybody get this screwing.

I didnt make a stink because I had a "few" too many cases of beer on board.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #29
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

I have only been charged the $300 even, no extra. What did it state the extra $30 was for?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #30
Surface Tension

This is from memory but when we cleared this past spring, it was 150 for up to two passengers 30 for each additional passenger. My boat is 24 feet.
Surface Tension is offline   Reply With Quote