Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Marine Electronics

Marine Electronics Knowing where our dive spots are located and what is the depth for our dives make our marine electronics very important.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #31
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Re: RayMarine Dragonfly

I still would require a download option for mass loading of waypoints and routes. Regardless of how easy it is to enter ,there is no way I would buy a unit that would require me to enter 1100+ waypoints and descriptions one at a time.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #32
Snapper Mangler

Ahh ok I see what your saying, yes it has a chip you can connect to your computer and upload the waypoints from your computer
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #33
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

Good points being brought up. To install your way points, download to a SD card, install the card into the Fly and download. Check to see if you need to put the unit into the factory default position first. (memory fails me here) To save a waypoint that is on the screen,use the joystick to place the curser where you want it, select "okay" to save. You can save 3000 waypoints, 15 tracks with up to 10,000 waypoints.
The Raymarine has the complete manuel ready to download for free. It's in PDF format.
Hope this helps a little. It's like anything else that's unique in the way you have to operate it. Don't sell it short, especially if you don't own one.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #34
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Not selling it short, just asking questions. I was considering it for a back up of my main plotter and scope as well as my AP. The lack of nema 183 or 2000 would be tough to do without and kill the AP usage. I will probably get one for a stand alone on my dad's Carolina Skiff as all he needs is a small combo unit he can read thats simple. Sounds like a good option for that.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #35
divingdesigns
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Not selling it short, just asking questions. I was considering it for a back up of my main plotter and scope as well as my AP. The lack of nema 183 or 2000 would be tough to do without and kill the AP usage. I will probably get one for a stand alone on my dad's Carolina Skiff as all he needs is a small combo unit he can read thats simple. Sounds like a good option for that.
This is not $1500 plus unit. It is a full feature $625 unit that has great screen and CHIRP images in a 5" display. If you want Nema 2000 and networking along with all the high prices transducers this is not the unit for you. What is does give you is great for the price and picture is top notch. CHIRP is sweet too and you can see your anchor line clear as day and schools of 8" blue rock fish like they are in front of your mask. It is a great unit on a small boat that does not break the bank or take up you whole dash.

www.Redwoodempiredivers.org
A family friendly Skin and SCUBA dive club out of Santa Rosa CA

www.Montereybaytritons.com
A freedive only dive club thats meets in Monterey CA
divingdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #36
drew5546

They just announced the dragonfly 7. 7" display instead of 5". I was undecided but now I know I will be getting one for sure!
drew5546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #37
Snapper Mangler

Dammit!!
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #38
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

If they went ahead and did an up grade like that, the units must be gaining popularity. My dash is full now, I don't think that I could squeeze a bigger unit up there. I have the Dragonfly, a 797c2 and a 597ci HD plus my hand held and the compass. It's starting to look like a West Marine showroom. I wonder what other upgrades they put into the 7.7?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #39
Gulfshot

Nice to see some great responses here about the unit. I did finally get mine installed last month. I had some concerns as a Cat owner as to proper transducer placement. But it seems to be working fine. Weather and water temps have limited us to the Crystal River and very shallow coastal GOM. So the bottom profiles I saw were limited. But when I did get on plane, I was quite pleased. I plan to run offshore in March, and hope to get some good Downvision pics to share.

I am also very impressed with the ease of the Navigation/GPS software. My old unit, still in place as a backup, is a black and white Garmin 188. So you can imagine the upgrade in technology for me.

The 7 inch screen will definately seal the deal for those on the fence. But as SeaRayDiver said, my dash is pretty limited too at this point. So the 5.7 unit fits perfect. Plus, I got the unit with gold charts when West Marine had it for under $500. How could you go wrong?
Gulfshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #40
Teamdiesel

I am very interested in this unit. I live in Antigua (eastern caribbean) and was wondering if gps maps were available for my part of the world in this unit. I presently use a Garmin 421s with BlueCharts Vision chip, but this unit seems so much nicer.
Teamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #41
Gulfshot

I would check the Navionics website. The best bundle includes gold charts for the US, which only includes the western Carribean/Bahamas. But you may be included in their Central/South America charts.
Gulfshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #42
Teamdiesel

Navionics chips are expensive compared to the bluecharts.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #43
Teamdiesel

Your currency is basically triple mine, so imagine working for the same pay dollar to dollar but I have to pay $1905.00 for your $635 Dragonfly.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #44
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

you need to get someone to ship you one from the states.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #45
Teamdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by searaydiver View Post
you need to get someone to ship you one from the states.
That is what I do with every item I buy online. The fact still remains that I will be paying over $1900 bucks in my currency for that unit.