Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Ren

7ft spear extension

I originally made two pole spears one 6ft and one 5ft, but I kept finding that I needed a little more reach. I had a couple of extra CF golf driver shafts so I ended up making an extension that fits on both of my spears.

The extension is basically a 6mm male to 5/16-24 female adapter fitted and epoxied on the CF shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151119_095522-1.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	222761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151119_095638-1.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	222762  
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Ren

Re: 7ft spear extension

Checked for straightness prior to epoxy, joint is compression fitted and held together by hand pressed fitting. not sure if I should plug the inside so no water gets inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151119_095847(1).jpg
Views:	277
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	222763   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151119_095622(1).jpg
Views:	279
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	222764  

Last edited by Ren; 11-19-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
FreediveCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
Checked for straightness prior to epoxy, joint is compression fitted and held together by hand pressed fitting. not sure if I should plug the inside so no water gets inside.
If you have something to plug it with it may be a good idea. Don't see any harm in plugging it.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreediveCA View Post
If you have something to plug it with it may be a good idea. Don't see any harm in plugging it.
Thanks.

I've got some choices in material for plug. I got some cork, rubber cork, instamorph moldable plastic, or RTV silicone. will practice on other tubes.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
FreediveCA

Perhaps not the cork. Seems like that would retain water. I'd pick the most water tight option available. Good luck.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Rubber stopper will work nice and easy. Ace, HD or Lowes carries them. Just take your spear in and size it to the correct one you need.
If you cant find one that fits, find the next biggest one where just the front part goes into the hole then cut the stopper and push it in. A little spit or something like silicone grease will help.

Keep an eye on that epoxied adapter. A lot of strain goes on these, you may need to pin it.

Nice addition to the spear.

Aaron

p.s. buy more then one. Stopper needs to be snug if its not the water pressure the deeper you dive will drive the stopper further up inside the pole. There is a fine line between loose and snug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	81024ee4-98fc-4a80-9d33-72049117a11b_400.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	222877  
Old 11-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspearo View Post
Rubber stopper will work nice and easy. Ace, HD or Lowes carries them. Just take your spear in and size it to the correct one you need.
If you cant find one that fits, find the next biggest one where just the front part goes into the hole then cut the stopper and push it in. A little spit or something like silicone grease will help.

Keep an eye on that epoxied adapter. A lot of strain goes on these, you may need to pin it.

Nice addition to the spear.

Aaron

p.s. buy more then one. Stopper needs to be snug if its not the water pressure the deeper you dive will drive the stopper further up inside the pole. There is a fine line between loose and snug.
Thanks Aaron. I'll check it out when I get the chance. I tested it out last Sunday pre-rubber stopper and it felt pretty good in the water. Didn't notice much leaking or water intrusion in the tube but it felt pretty well connected to where I couldn't pull on both sides and remove it but rather a twisting and pulling motion.

It's fun building off of the original spear with spare materials. Maybe when I pick up some new bits I'll think about pinning it but the plan was making it into a long distance "perch slayer" that I'd be able to shorten if I needed to for hole hunting.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:07 AM   #8
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

I meant pinning the 5/16" x 6mm adaptor. But not really needed if your sniping perch.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:39 AM   #9
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspearo View Post
I meant pinning the 5/16" x 6mm adaptor. But not really needed if your sniping perch.
yep. John's idea for the cross hole drilling jig looks awesome but I've got to work with what I've got in the garage. not sure I can confidently drill through the adapter (it's SS) and pin it until I get either a drill press or new bits (mine are all old titanium coated).

Last edited by Ren; 12-01-2015 at 01:18 AM.