Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
Dbrown

Out of St Pete 8/7/2020

Took a day off and we worked through a strategic plan to run a 21' single motor vessel pretty far offshore with 3 divers and a fisherman.

Ended up being a very fun day. Got my first Permit. We got our limit of AJ, and I shot my limit of groupers as well. So very rewarding. Did 3 dives.

Dive one was a wreck in 140'. Hoped for Jacks. No luck. Only ARS and a few mangos. BUT I got the Permit there. VIz was 60'. Seas 1'. 74 on the bottom.

Dive 2 was in 117' on pipeline. Started shooting and drew Jacks in. So that was great and we got our boat limit there. Also some scamp, Hogs and snapper. Viz here was not as good. Depth pretty close to thermocline. Had to hunt about 10' off bottom. Temp 77.

Dive 3 was ledge area. Got 2 nice gags and a red here along with Hog and mango and 2 nice lions. 95' depth. Viz about 30-40'. 84 degrees.

Really fun day diving with good friends, as well as my mentor and gun builder. Taking my daughter out tomorrow for some shallow diving, so will provide a report out of Clearwater tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4034.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	245895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4046.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	245896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4052.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	245897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4056.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	245898  
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #2
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: Out of St Pete 8/7/2020

I was really surprised there was no AJ’s on that deep wreck we went to. It was covered with AJ’s all winter. However, the pipeline bailed us out and we still ended up with the 4 AJ’s we needed......Its good to be lucky sometimes.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:08 AM   #3
dkay

Nice shooting fellas! I see smoked AJ spread in your future.
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Nice haul.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
Dbrown

Here is the Permit video.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
grey2112

Great job, Dave. I still can't believe I got my first Permit free-shafting. Talk about luck, given how hard they fight!
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
Dbrown

Some days it is just your day!
If I placed a free shaft into a cobia, AJ or Permit....I'm sure it would be the day of the fella at the dive store selling more spears!!!

Lots of my friends seem to be able to pull it off though. So good for you and them!

I remember on my first MIddle grounds trip (I've only been a few times) I was struggling to produce and a big King came by so I tried my luck. I chased and chased it. I could get close, but these AJ's kept coming and messing with him, and every time they did he swam away out of reach. Could almost reach spear, then they'd prod him along.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #8
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Shot placement is key with freeshafting. I've taken AJ with them but didn't wait around to see if they were dead. I instantly swam to them and took control before they woke up, wrap my legs around them with hands in their mouth to steer them. They don't call them reef donkeys for no reason. You can steer them, preferably right into the ground, if shallow enough...brain them, dead donkey. I've taken a few wild rides. Not so much an option on deeper spots though. The quick up/down can get one outside the ear pressurization control zone. I busted my ear drum hanging onto a large one going up/down while freediving...wasn't able to equalize fast enough. It doesn't seem unreasonable that one could steer it towards the surface as well...just wrap your legs around the body and pull the head. I hope this helps.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote