Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-07-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
fr0sty

Dyneema shooting line for roller?

I have a 70cm standard roller and was considering some 1.4 or 1.7mm stiff dyneema as a shooting line due to better abrasion resistance. I currently have some 1.5mm (200lb?) mono and worried about nicks to the line. I previously lost a shaft because it snapped at the loop attaching the shaft, which may have been due to the shaft hole being rough. The only concern I have is with a double wrap on the gun, that leaves a lot of line in the water after a shot that can get tangled up. Anyone have any experience/thoughts to share?
fr0sty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:39 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Dyneema shooting line for roller?

Should be OK, I always use two line wraps, you only need to be concerned if you shoot a lot more. I have shot three wraps on some guns with the horsepower to haul the line to the target and skewer it. I soon went back to two wraps, if you have a reel it helps recover the line quickly if you miss.

Last edited by popgun pete; 07-07-2020 at 11:31 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
jfjf

We have been using a double wrap of stiff dynema on roller guns for a while. It wraps nice, is super strong, but it IS more prone to tangling than mono. Are you taking shots that require a double wrap?

I found the effective range of a shorter roller gun is compromised with a single wrap, so I have been using a double wrap of line most of the time.

I think using dynema is a reasonable idea, have you tried a heavier mono yet? Perhaps that will work for you?

I've been using this stuff. At about a buck a foot, it is not cheap, but it holds up well - and if you get a bad nick in it, you can chop it up and have a lifetime worth of wishbones.

https://www.makospearguns.com/South-...Bulk-p/mwb.htm

Last edited by jfjf; 07-08-2020 at 09:48 AM.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
fr0sty

Yeah, the gun is currently rigged with a double wrap. I think a single wrap would defeat the purpose of a roller (the extra power and shooting distance). I wanted to use thinner mono because it's a smaller gun and shaft so wanted to minimize any drag. I guess I could just use thicker mono also, but wanted to explore options before I rerig the gun. I also just heard that the dyneema "cuts" through fish more than mono though, so a bit concerned about that.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
brandon cadalzo

If you’re like me and hunt in murky water with visibility often around the 5-10’ mark then there is absolutely no need for a double wrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon cadalzo View Post
If you’re like me and hunt in murky water with visibility often around the 5-10’ mark then there is absolutely no need for a double wrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I almost always use a single wrap on my guns, but as mentioned, one of the benefits of using a small roller gun is that the effective range is a little further. So in order to utilize that extra range, you need the second wrap.

If the visibility is such that you can not see past a single wrap, then obviously the extra wrap of line is detrimental.

I have not seen a problem with dynema cutting through fish - more than mono. I assume the rough texture and smaller diameter might have that effect, but this would probably only come into play when shooting soft body fish.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
mclane234

It cuts fish way too much, this is why you use mono.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:17 AM   #8
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

So, your shaft is 100-110cm I reckon and as such, I'd say to go with the thinner 1.4mm line. Even on a 130cm shaft well powered up on a 2x14mm Pathos 100, I can def tell that 1.4mm slows the shaft down over mono. I'd think 1.7mm would really kill the performance of a shaft as light as yours.

I have two wraps on that gun and when I ran stiff Aussie line on it, I didn't have tangles once I realized that it mattered which way I did the final wrap as otherwise, it could wrap up around the bungee. No tangles since I turned the final wrap "inside out".

I always debur and polish shafts except for a recent Salvimar Capture shaft that was flawless in that regard, so if you wanna stick with mono, make sure you debur, round off and polish the attachment hole. Do it anyways, even if you change to dyneema.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #9
fr0sty

Cool, thanks for all the insight! I think I'm still going to try it out, if it's no good, then I'll just swap back out to mono.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:02 PM   #10
Diver278

Has anyone tried Kevlar for shooting line. I got some 2mm line at West Marine thought I would give it a try.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #11
Marco

I use Aussie 1.9 mm stiff dyneema as shooting line in all my guns. 3 of them are rollers. I won't use anything else. I tried two loops and got back to single loop though.

Two loops take forever to reload, fish have time to hole up, it's easier to get tangled and last but not least, I can't hit anything that far away.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
Diver278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I use Aussie 1.9 mm stiff dyneema as shooting line in all my guns. 3 of them are rollers. I won't use anything else. I tried two loops and got back to single loop though.

Two loops take forever to reload, fish have time to hole up, it's easier to get tangled and last but not least, I can't hit anything that far away.
How is your dyneema attached to your shaft.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #13
Marco

https://youtu.be/nddtFJP9yH4

Old 07-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #14
Diver278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Thanks I saw that video. And another where the guy uses hollow dyneema. Just wanted to know how you did yours.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #15
Marco

I use Rob Allen method because Aussie Dyneema is pretty much like RA dyneema, but a little bit stiffer IMO.
Try it and you won't regret.