Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearboard Best Trip Report and/or Video Challenge > 2013 Best Trip Report and/or Video Challenge

2013 Best Trip Report and/or Video Challenge Show us your hottest stuff and win recognition and prizes!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Lightbulb OFFICIAL Nomination Thread for the 2013 Trip Report and/or Video Challenge

I am resurrecting this cool concept that was first successfully tested in 2011.

See that test here: http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247

This is the nomination thread for Best Trip Report and/or Video for the year 2013.

There will be a pool of eight prizes for two time periods as follows:

1.) the first three quarters of 2013.

2.) the last quarter of 2013.

The cut-off date for nominating and seconding for both time periods is January 15, 2014. We will then revert to a voting poll thread for the finalists. The three geographic regions are USA East Coast (includes Gulf), USA West Coast, and International. There will also be a prize for best video in each time period. The video may or may not be part of a trip report and thus a compilation video may qualify. Spearfishing has to be the primary subject of the video.

Please read carefully the rules here:

OFFICIAL RULES FOR THE SPEARBOARD BEST TRIP REPORT AND/OR VIDEO CHALLENGE

Note the following member qualifications to nominate, second and vote from the official rules:

Quote:
Members with more than 50 posts can nominate their own or some else's trip reports and videos. Trip Report and/or Video Originators with less than 50 posts can be nominated by someone with more than 50 posts in order to accommodate brand new members that have great trips to report. The top three trip reports and the top three videos in each region with the most nomination seconds are entered into a final poll. For ten days after the end of a calendar quarter, all members with more than 50 posts are then able to vote one time for their favorite trip reports and/or videos among the eighteen final nominations (3 reports and 3 videos x 3 regions).
Here are the specific rules for this nomination thread:

•Only post nominations or seconds should be in this thread, no superfluous comments are allowed.

•All seconds are to be placed in 1 post per region, with a maximum of 3 seconds in each region.

•All seconds should include the word "second".

Please follow these rules or your post will be removed. If you have to comment about a trip report and/or video, please do it on that trip report's and/or video's thread, not here.

According to the official rules, the following timeline must be observed for this thread:

Quote:
 Diving – Any time in the 6 months prior to the trip report or video thread origination date
 Trip report and video thread origination – From January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013
 Eligible for nomination – From October 1, 2013 to January 15, 2014
 Seconding of the nominations – From the date of nomination to January 15, 2014
 Poll Voting on the top three reports and/or videos in three regions – From January 15, 2014 to January 31, 2014
 Winners announced – February 1, 2014
Nominations will be accepted until January 15, 2014 at midnight and then this nomination thread will be closed.

When self-nominating the trip report and/or video you authored or produced, please post the trip report and/or video thread title, the URL to the trip report and/or video, which of the three geographic regions applies, a short description of the trip report and/or video, and a reason for nomination that will motivate others to second the nomination. If a nomination post is too promotional, it will be edited accordingly.

Please present your nomination is in the following format (using an example from the distant past):

Original Poster: Spearboard Name of the original poster or primary creator of the trip report or video
Trip Report and/or Video Thread Title: Repeat the exact title here.
URL: www.12345.com - this must be clickable to get to the report and/or video.
Geographic Region: State one of the three regions in the rules.
Date of Trip report and/or video thread origination: - This date must be between 1-1-2013 to 12-31-2013.
Description: Briefly, what is the trip report and/or video about?
Reason for Nomination: Tell us why you think this trip report and/or video rocks!

When seconding nominated threads, please ensure that you use only one post per region for the maximum of 3 allowed seconds. Any seconds not located in your first seconding post for a given region will not be counted. Please also quote the nomination post you are seconding in your post (Use Multi-Quote Option if you are seconding multiple trip reports and/or videos).

The next step from the official rules will be:

Quote:
The 3 trip reports and 3 videos in each region (18 total) that have the most seconded nominations will be placed in three separate regional voting poll threads. They will be listed in the poll in a random order and not alphabetically or by nomination seconding rank. Separate voting poll threads for trip reports and videos may be used depending on the response.
That is it for now. Send me a PM with any questions or comments.

Now, let's have fun with the Spearboard Best Trip Report and/or Video Challenge!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996

Last edited by SpearMax; 12-01-2013 at 03:15 PM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Cool Re: OFFICIAL Nomination Thread for the 2013 Trip Report and/or Video Challenge

Please keep in mind that the moment you self-nominate your trip report and/or video in this thread you have agreed to the OFFICIAL RULES here at this link:

OFFICIAL RULES FOR THE SPEARBOARD BEST TRIP REPORT AND/OR VIDEO CHALLENGE

Now for some good stuff! The pool of 8 prizes for Best Trip Reports and/or Videos of the three Quarters Ended September 30, 2013 AND for the last quarter of 2013 ended December 31, 2013 are shown below. These great prizes will be allocated as follows according to the official rules:

Quote:
There will be a pool of prizes for the trip reports in three regions and the video winner. If the prizes are usable in all geographic regions, the four winners will try to agree which prize they want. If they can't agree, we will use a selection method like Rock –Paper - Scissors. Being awarded a prize should be a secondary consideration to the honor of being selected as the best trip reporter or video maker by your fellow spearfishing men and women.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prizes01.jpg
Views:	5525
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	196467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prizes02.jpg
Views:	5016
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	196468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prizes03.jpg
Views:	5134
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	196469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prizes04.jpg
Views:	5159
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	196470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prizes05.jpg
Views:	5124
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	196471  

Name:	Prizes06.jpg
Views:	5092
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	196472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prizes07.jpg
Views:	5173
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	196473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prizes08.jpg
Views:	5083
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	196474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prizes09.jpg
Views:	5147
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	196475  

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

Last edited by SpearMax; 03-09-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Thumbs up Re: OFFICIAL Nomination Thread for the 2013 Trip Report and/or Video Challenge

As a bonus and because this is the first video challenge, we are giving away a special prize for the best video of the six video finalists (three each for the two time periods) in the challenge for 2013. As a video professional myself, I will be the final judge of the overall winning video.

The prize is the following custom hybrid speargun from Spearboard sponsor Impaler Spearguns. Company owner Jason is the outstanding new custom hybrid speargun designer who joined the community and marketplace in 2013.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hybrid01.jpg
Views:	5163
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	196476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hybrid01a.jpg
Views:	5242
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	196477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hybrid02.jpg
Views:	5367
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	196478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hybrid03.jpg
Views:	5205
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	196479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hybrid04.jpg
Views:	5391
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	196480  

Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Re: OFFICIAL Nomination Thread for the 2013 Trip Report and/or Video Challenge

I will post up more details on these prizes in a separate thread. When we do this challenge for the second quarter of 2014, there will be a new round of sponsors. In the mean time, let's let the nominations roll!

Remember you are nominating people for a total of 8 winners and there will be a pool of 8 prizes for 2 time periods as follows:

1.) the first three quarters of 2013.

2.) the last quarter of 2013.

The best overall 2013 video prize will be layered over the top of these winners and selected from the 6 video finalists.

Have fun! Tony

Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Kraken
I am the sea

I like this idea, let's just hope it runs smoother than last time, and by that I mean let's hope it sticks around longer than one quarter. I was disappointed when you made such a big deal promoting it and then it just fell off.

Let's also hope the video contest brings a lot less controversy than the Blue Wild!

Spearheads Spearfishing Episodes!
http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
kmoose
Team Headhunter

I'll get this nomination party started with an epic 2013 trip from Headhunter: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=163002

It has it all..... Ridiculously deep water, giant carbos, warsaws, a Headhunter personal best and a lost jet plane! The Goodyear blimp flying over the super bowl couldn't give you more helium induced action!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I like this idea, let's just hope it runs smoother than last time, and by that I mean let's hope it sticks around longer than one quarter. I was disappointed when you made such a big deal promoting it and then it just fell off.

Let's also hope the video contest brings a lot less controversy than the Blue Wild!
Why would you bother submitting anything up in the first place and setting yourself up for such disappointment? I mean really, it seams you have a steamer ready to dump on this before it even gets started.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Thumbs up Re: OFFICIAL Nomination Thread for the 2013 Trip Report and/or Video Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
I'll get this nomination party started with an epic 2013 trip from Headhunter: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=163002

It has it all..... Ridiculously deep water, giant carbos, warsaws, a Headhunter personal best and a lost jet plane! The Goodyear blimp flying over the super bowl couldn't give you more helium induced action!
Excellent nomination Kenny that I will second.

I also will put the nomination in the format in the rules for others to quote and second:

Original Poster: Headhunter
Trip Report and/or Video Thread Title: Exploring
URL: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=163002
Geographic Region: USA East Coast (includes Gulf)
Date of Trip report and/or video thread origination: 06-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Description: Deep exploration and discovery
Reason for Nomination: See Kenny's reason above

Last edited by SpearMax; 12-01-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Add OP
Old 10-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Ctglax83
Cole

Trip report: New Bahamas video
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=164490
Video: Spearfishing West End July 2013
International
08/03/2013 3:44 PM
Great trip and great diving with friends and family in West End, Bahamas last summer
Ctglax83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Arrow Re: OFFICIAL Nomination Thread for the 2013 Trip Report and/or Video Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctglax83 View Post
Trip report: New Bahamas video
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=164490
Video: Spearfishing West End July 2013
http://youtu.be/EdfYU203sd4
International
08/03/2013 3:44 PM
Great trip and great diving with friends and family in West End, Bahamas last summer
I will second the nomination and also will put the nomination in the format in the rules for others to quote and second:

Original Poster: Ctglax83
Trip Report and/or Video Thread Title: New Bahamas video
URL: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=164490
Date of Trip report and/or video thread origination: 08-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Description: A trip with a video to West End, Bahamas on Cole's boat
Reason for Nomination: Great trip and great diving with friends and family in West End, Bahamas last summer

Old 10-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

I will nominate a California Trip report by Joe Zenspearo:

Original Poster: Zenspearo
Trip Report and/or Video Thread Title: Sand Dollar SCI/Catalina Report June 22/23
URL: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=162905
Geographic Region: USA West Coast
Date of Trip report and/or video thread origination: 06-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Description: A trip report on a popular charter boat in California
Reason for Nomination: A proud father documents his young son's spearfishing trip

Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
fishingdude
Lost at Sea.....

Send a message via AIM to fishingdude

I'll throw my hat in.

Original Poster: fishingdude
Trip Report and/or Video Thread Title: Video: Gulf Coast Spearfishing 2013
URL: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=166758
Date of Trip report and/or video thread origination: 09-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Description: A small compliation of footage from summer 2013 in Texas and Florida
Reason for Nomination: Pretty representative video of typical summer diving in Florida. A lot of spearboard members took me out on their boats to make this video and I'm definitely grateful to the forum for providing the opportunity to meet and dive with some amazing spearos!

4-6 is always better than 9-5

Check out my YouTube Channel:
SPEARFISHING VIDEOS

Last edited by SpearMax; 12-01-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Fix format and add OP
fishingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Arrow Re: OFFICIAL Nomination Thread for the 2013 Trip Report and/or Video Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingdude View Post
I'll throw my hat in.

Original Poster: fishingdude
Trip Report and/or Video Thread Title: Video: Gulf Coast Spearfishing 2013
URL: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=166758
Date of Trip report and/or video thread origination: 09-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Description: A small compliation of footage from summer 2013 in Texas and Florida
Reason for Nomination: Pretty representative video of typical summer diving in Florida. A lot of spearboard members took me out on their boats to make this video and I'm definitely grateful to the forum for providing the opportunity to meet and dive with some amazing spearos!
Nice Work Ben, I second that one. Tony

Last edited by SpearMax; 12-01-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Decostanza

Sounds like a fun project...thanks for offering it up SpearMax
Decostanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
Florida boy

Looks fun. Hopefully ill have a video done by then
Florida boy is offline   Reply With Quote