Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
Ren

DIY Mono Stringer

Not having a stringer made me a little jealous of my buddies, but I knew that I could probably make a couple for under $0.99 each.

I still have enough materials to make
5-10 stringers.

Tools: Crimping tool
Lighter
Corded drill + bits

Materials:
200-400lb mono or spectra/done email
($0.20 per yard at my local tackle shop)
Double sleeve crimps $0.20 each at local tackle
Shop

Heatshrink tubing (optional)

Aluminum rod 5/16" from local scrap
Yard ($2.30 per lb)

Assembly time was about 5-10 minutes. Very simple.

Original stringer has been improved (Thanks John and Phil)
will make another kui like phil's when I see the need. I will most likely not use heatshrink on mono next time.

My current setup for shallow reef spearing looks like this:

Haven't lost a fish yet after sticking the stringer through both eyes and then back into the speargun rubber. I brain them before putting them on.

Edit: 12-16-15

Latest build of a stringer from a left over 5/16" 17-4 ph shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151122_112910-800x450.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	222859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151216_142506.jpg
Views:	1747
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	223276  

Last edited by Ren; 12-16-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
theburb

Re: DIY Mono Stringer

that thing sucks. the fish will come right off
theburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #3
phil herranen

Here's a better way to do it just cross drill a 5"or6" section of stainless or aluminum rod and ether put it straight to your belt ( no metal on metal contact for stealth hunting wsb ) or a clip for reef fish

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
phil herranen

My phone won't upload pics to this site , pm me your # and I will text you the pics

Old 11-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #5
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
My phone won't upload pics to this site , pm me your # and I will text you the pics
Thanks Phil! PM inbound.

Hoping I can win one of your kelp carrots (sturgill raffle). Works of art!
Old 11-22-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
phil herranen

Sent the pics over , feel free to post them . The pic also shows how I hold the kui (stringer) to my belt

You take a section of bungie or band material and put a loop on one side to attach it to the belt and ,and then just stick the kui in the hole to keep the fish behind you out of the way

Old 11-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #7
Ren

Thanks for the pics. I didn't think of drilling through the lead and crimping my mono around it but it looks like a good idea.

Any tips on drilling through SS? As of now I have some cutting oil that John (linghunt) sent me and tried test drilling SS 304/316 scrap rod pieces but I think my drill bits were made for soft metals/aluminum.

I'm currently using a corded hand drill but was thinking of picking up a cheap drill press off of craigslist or home depot next week.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:10 AM   #8
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
Thanks for the pics. I didn't think of drilling through the lead and crimping my mono around it but it looks like a good idea.

Any tips on drilling through SS? As of now I have some cutting oil that John (linghunt) sent me and tried test drilling SS 304/316 scrap rod pieces but I think my drill bits were made for soft metals/aluminum.

I'm currently using a corded hand drill but was thinking of picking up a cheap drill press off of craigslist or home depot next week.
just get a new ,good bit ,and dont over heat it ,it will last a long time if you dont burn it up , useing a hand drill ,pulsing the trigger and going slow , and keep cool with oil , and stainless drills very ez , if done right its really no harder to drill than mild steel

Old 11-23-2015, 12:12 AM   #9
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
just get a new ,good bit ,and dont over heat it ,it will last a long time if you dont burn it up , useing a hand drill ,pulsing the trigger and going slow , and keep cool with oil , and stainless drills very ez , if done right its really no harder to drill than mild steel
Thank you! Will post up some different stringer builds and get to testing them later this week.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:27 AM   #10
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

I use a Heinrich Cross hole Drill jig for manual work. Live tooling on CNC is much faster, but that is not in your budget.

Heinrich tools are great, but spend-y as well. You have to keep an eye out for them for a good deal in used market. Hardened Bushing are need as well based on hole size. I buy them as I need them, Still have a good $200 in just bushings.

http://www.heinrichco.com/drilljig.htm

Biggest mistake I see happening out their are poor drill choices and incorrect drilling speeds.

Cross hole fixtures can be done in many other ways.

Ren , What were you thinking on that first stringer along with the second one too?

There is a lot more to crimping too. Have you done any static tests on your prototypes? What type load do you expect? That crimper you have in picture is for Electrical terminals.

Don't forget to look up the MSDS on that Oil, It's a good habit to know what you have before using it.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:41 AM   #11
Linghunt

What is slow drilling? Slow I think is under 1000 rpm or 500.

Say you are drilling a .067" hole , and material is 304 SS. SFM ~= 50

rpm = {50 * 4 } / .067" = ~ 3000 rpm

I drilled 48 parts today at this size and had no issues. I did peck it by hand, easy to break those small drill bits in 18-8 set screws.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:21 AM   #12
Ren

Hehe. Just picked up a new suit and gun so don't have too much left in the spearing budget for shop made stringers. I just needed something to hold small fish (say, a limit of Calico Bass) after I shoot em that would be low drag and stiff. Had some extra 200lb mono and some scrap aluminum and SS sheet metal/rods and wanted to copy this:

I'll probably have more time to clean up that 2nd stringer (making it thinner) but sadly I can't run loud machinery in my house/neighborhood at ungodly hours..

The first stringer I Lock into my knife's belt loop which is held onto my belt by paracord. I'll try to get some photos of my belt rig.

Last edited by Ren; 11-23-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #13
Linghunt

That looks like it will pull out of the knife sheath and you will lose all of your catch.

The rope holding the knife looks like it might hang up as well. I get down in the kelp beds and holes and that wouldn't work for me at all.

The hole in the middle of the shaft vs the side is what will keep the fish on. There are some clever deals for stringers that fit on your belt. Don't recall how sells them a few different vendors. I don't think you want to spend the cash either way.

There might be some on spearboard that were homemade versions.

Old bent gun shafts get chopped up for this type stringer. You can also buy large Nail/spikes at your favorite hardware store.

The crimping of Mono is important and commonly overlooked. Even with a proper crimper they can be done wrong. IF you do a light crimp the mono will pull out of the crimp sleeve. IF you over crimp you will damage the mono going past it's limit where to are deforming the mono and reducing the strength.

I got in contact with a Mono manufacturer a while back and got to actually talk to the Founder. I sure learned a lot from him and I still remember him telling me, that I was asking questions that have never been brought to his attention before.

Test your stringer, Pull on it or set it up to see if It can handle your weight belt at a minimum. Do static tests not dynamic.

Some like to melt a ball on the mono and set that up to the crimp for added strength. This is a good thing to do for cosmetics, but my testing efforts it did nothing for strength.

Thimbles are also a good idea.

You should try and make a HOOP type stringer. Getting into metal forming can be lots of fun. A TIG welder opens up options, but you can make a good stringer with just bending.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:11 AM   #14
Linghunt

One other point for you to look up. The heat shrink you used, Why did you do that?

What temperature does it take to activate the heat shrink?

What temperature can the Mono handle before it is damaged? Think about the process of how Mono is actually made...

Your Example you wanted to copy from "Blue Tuna spearfishing" , Did they use heat shrink?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:12 AM   #15
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Get a length of large diameter coated copper wire cut. twist a loop on one side wrap around waist and push the other end through loop and flip over. Dont need extra parts special tools anything. Takes less than 3 minutes 44 seconds to make. A spool is pennies and lasts 4.44 years. Mo betta
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote