Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 298 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #61
CitoRat4Ever
I bungee my freezer shut

Re: Santa Barbara Conditions Report "Perma-Thread"

The girlfriend made me take the dogs on a walk along the Douglass Preserve instead of getting a dive in. The view from the bluffs looked like some viz may have been workable if you were willing to risk it. I saw some schools of bait working the shallows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	128638  

Nicholas DuMong - Ex-President, Santa Barbara Freedivers - I'm out bitches!

http://www.wongspearguns.com/
CitoRat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #62
kev the sea dog
cold? wait you'll numb up

Anyone scoped it in the last few days? Forcast has been 1-2ft for a while.
Thanks.
Peace.
"You can learn from an ordanary bamboo leaf what ought to happen. It bends lower and lower under the weight of snow. Suddenly the snow slips to the ground without the leaf having stirred. Stay like that at the point of highest tension until the shot falls from you. So, indeed, it is: when the tension is fullfilled, the shot must fall, it must fall from the archer like snow from a bamboo leaf, before he even thinks." The Master
kev the sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #63
SBH20Man
Brent

Just did a quick check off the Mesa from the steps and it still looks pretty murky, but the tide was very low. Looked pretty much the same as Sunday when I last went out.

It *should* improve though - I'll bet there are some good spots out there. On Sunday I noticed a few spots about a mile off More Mesa that looked to have nice viz in the ~20' range at the surface, but they were isolated "micro-climate' type spots. I was hoping they'd expand and move shore-ward...

Good news is that the water temp is up a lot. 63 degrees off Goleta Beach on Sunday.

BTW, its frigging cold and foggy at the beach. Air temp outside my house is like 61 degrees and I just built a fire in the fire place. Oh, that's right... its June...

Last edited by SBH20Man; 06-02-2010 at 12:41 PM.
SBH20Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #64
de los muertos
No head like steelhead

East Santa Barbara Channel buoy as of 1150 6-5 light and variable. Friggin blowing it should be out at ROSA right now. Who is killing it right now?? not me
de los muertos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #65
SBH20Man
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by de los muertos View Post
East Santa Barbara Channel buoy as of 1150 6-5 light and variable. Friggin blowing it should be out at ROSA right now. Who is killing it right now?? not me
Yea, pretty nice conditions out there, except the channel is socked in with heavy marine layer. A weird little south swell in the water making things a bit bumpy. Didn't go to the islands, but checked a couple of spots up and down the coast with my son, and the viz is still lousy everywhere.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #66
Namor
Goletard

Dev at high tide it was 1-3' of vis from Sands to the Jail house. Warm water with oil on the out side. Surf was waist to head high, and peeling. Heavy fog.

Jeremy
Namor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #67
de los muertos
No head like steelhead

Anyone know what the live bait situation in SB is like? Squid? reports of squid anywhere? Ventura can't keep anything alive right now. Has any of the forecasted wind affected you guys out of SB? It has been absolutely gorgeous for awhile out of VTA now. Anacapa is sounding like it is really nice.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #68
CaliDiver43
On a single breath...

Dove near mesa today vis was pretty murky 6' max with quite a bit of swell throwing me around, but since I was mainly lookin for scallops vis wasn't too bothersome. Ended up with 4 of them. As for fish I saw a few small whitefish, bunch of short calicos, and had a very large calico follow me for much of my dive but would spook every time I lined up a shot . No signs of wsb.
CaliDiver43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #69
CIslandHunter

There was some blue water at Anacapa yesterday on the southside, frontside a cleaner green. We pulled into east Santa Cruz and the vis was much nicer than previous days, but all that changed as we rounded the corner into Chinese and Prisoners, zero vis, but acres and acres of bait.
CIslandHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #70
WESTBURY

I noticed on the Terrafin that the water has warmed up too....

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #71
fish impaler

dove off the mesa yesterday, maybe 8' vis on the surface on the outside, found a really nice cave under a huge boulder, that the smaller rockfish seemed to be avoiding should have brought my light, HAD to be a ling in there
fish impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #72
JimmyJam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIslandHunter View Post
There was some blue water at Anacapa yesterday on the southside, frontside a cleaner green. We pulled into east Santa Cruz and the vis was much nicer than previous days, but all that changed as we rounded the corner into Chinese and Prisoners, zero vis, but acres and acres of bait.
Are you going out this Friday? weekend?

Thanks for the report.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #73
SBH20Man
Brent

Thanks for the reports guys - glad to hear I'm not missing much. Was hoping for some decent conditions this weekend, but still looks like it will be murky and surgy.

Might try to squeeze in some H&L fishing tomorrow or Saturday; if I find good viz, I'll report

B
Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #74
SaltyBalls
Garrick Hyder

I can't believe our vis sucks so bad that we need a perma thread to constantly remind us, we're five pages deep and I think the best I've read is maybe 10 ft. All I can say is we need to start a another more useful thread for our local divers to get together and carpool to san diego!
SaltyBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #75
de los muertos
No head like steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyBalls View Post
I can't believe our vis sucks so bad that we need a perma thread to constantly remind us, we're five pages deep and I think the best I've read is maybe 10 ft. All I can say is we need to start a another more useful thread for our local divers to get together and carpool to san diego!
Ha! You obviously haven't been reading their reports because red tides have been f'n them the past couple weeks. I couldn't find anything worth diving when I was down there mid May either.