Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
sway21

Fpi 8/10

Good day for me as the wife was home with the youngins' and got a chance to get some diving in. me and 2 friends shot out NE of Ft Pierce Inlet to about 80 ft. I was expecting really flat seas but it was a little choppy. Luckily later in the day it was FLAT. A few commercial guys started trolling around I'm assuming Kingfish guys.

80 ft dive was very nice. Not too much current, had these blue bioluminescent things floating in the first 3rd of the water column that was kind of interesting. Bottom the viz was 15-20ish. We right away so a monster of a lobster and just could not get him. He was too smart for me! Guess that is why he is so big.

Found 4 more bugs and only 1 didn't have eggs....dang it. Shot a small mango for my troubles and came up. Didn't see a single grouper.

Shot in to 35 ft near shore as my friends were feeling a little off with the conditions and didn't want to sit the surface interval for another dive. Defintely hurt our chances at some fish and bugs but we were treated with top to bottom viz off in 35 ft which was nice to see! They went in and no bugs, no fish, just 2 giant Goliaths but commented they felt like they were in an aquarium.

Finished a dive in 50 ft and again no bugz or groupers. Worst viz of the day.
Tons of smaller snappers and shot one and also hit a black margate behind it. Going to eat it tonight and see how it tastes against the snapper and the tails lol.

Headed in just in time to beat the storms. I had my goPro on I will see if I can get fancy and edit some footage. Going to Marathon in a few weeks hoping for some good conditions and a few more lobsters.
sway21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
sway21

Re: Fpi 8/10

Can confirm now that margate is "gummy" like someone else has described on the board. Tasted just fine very similar to the mango but the texture a littley springy and soft.
sway21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
Gator

Re: Fpi 8/10

Thanks for the report!
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote